Forum

Start new topic
page 1/2 go to

Preserving runner beans

howler8
by howler8
Hi all, what is generally considered the best way to preserve runner beans.
I did try freezing some last year after dipping them in boiling water for a few mins,but they were a little bit rubbery when we defrosted them and cooked them later on............am i doing it right?

I think i read somewhere it was something to do with enzymes?..... I just like eating them !
Keep smiling !
last edited on
leah
by leah
Chutney is better.

We wash them then throw our beans into the freezer, we used to phaff with the boiled water cold water dipping process in the 1970s but found it didn't make any difference to the finished result.

Put into the slow cooker or stew is best. Fresh for immediate boiling and serving with butter, frozen for stews, when you get enough you can use them from frozen to make chutney too.
every change is scarey even if we want it
NeilK
by NeilK
carrot cruncher
by carrot cruncher
I always make runner bean chutney, OH and the relatives cant get enough of the stuff, heres my recipie:

Ingredients:
· 2 lb. (900g) runner beans. sliced
· 2 lb. (900g) demerera sugar
· one and a half pints vinegar
· 1.5lbs. (675g) onions, peeled and chopped
· one and a half tbsps. cornflour
· half a tsp. salt
· 1 tsp. turmeric
· 1 tsp. dry mustard

Cooking Instructions:
1. Cook the beans in salted water till just soft
2. Cook the onions in half a pint of vinegar until just soft
3. Place the beans, onions and sugar in a pan together with the
remaining vinegar and boil for 15 minutes
4. Mix the mustard, turmeric, salt and cornflour with a small amount
of cold water and add to the pan
5. Bring to the boil and cook for a further 15 minutes
6. Allow to cool before bottling
rachipetal
by rachipetal
Thankyou!!!!
kirsty_cato
by kirsty_cato
Salt them,
Top Tail and slice
pack them into suitable containers ( I use earthen wear jars that my granie used)
layer of salt layer of bean top off with a layer of salt
they will keep right up to Xmas
davecook
by davecook
I salt them, and freeze a few. Salting is generally better than freezing, because they taste better, and there is always the remote, but not impossible chance of power cuts, which would destroy all your hard work.....

And being such a good year for beans, there are some serious gluts about :wink:
All humans should be free range and never kept in offices!
dannyw1uk
by dannyw1uk
Would 'clamping' be an effective way of storing these? Or would that just destroy them? Read you can do that in sand?
lizzie44
by lizzie44
My mum used to make a sort of bean picallili, sadly she never wrote the recipe down but I do remember helping her peel shallots to go in it and I know it had turmeric (very exotic for my mum!) and raisins in it too. I personally loathe frozen beans - they are a pale flaccid shadow of their former glorious selves. I'd rather go without. Love, Lizzie
lowlander
by lowlander
Would 'clamping' be an effective way of storing these? Or would that just destroy them? Read you can do that in sand?

Clamping is just for root vegetables.

Runners are undoubtedly best eaten fresh. I gave up freezing them years ago. Going to have a go at salting some this year; I also make chutney from them, and have made runner bean wine in the past.
http://21stcenturyselfreliance.myfreeforum.org/index.php
catieG
by catieG
Salting definitely produces better effect than freezing. When you want them, just put handfuls into a sieve, rinse off the salt, and cook as from fresh.
page 1/2 go to
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00