Forum

Start new topic

Can I eat my gourds?

Chrissy Salisbury
by Chrissy Salisbury
Hi Everyone,

Am I about to poison myself??

In the spring I carefully planted up courgettes (green and yellow), pumpkins, squashes, marrows and ornamental gourds (mainly to look pretty at halloween). Unfortunately in the transplanting they got jumbled up and now I can't tell one from the other, except that some are long, some are round and some are in between.....

Can anyone tell me whether I am likely to give myself or my husband food poisoning if we accidentally eat the gourds thinking that they are courgettes? All the leaves look alike. We haven't eaten any courgettes so far as we don't know if they are marrows or butternut squash etc.,

I know we need to label more carefully next year but it is such a shame to miss out on crops this year.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks

Chris
last edited on
superspud
by superspud
Yes labelling is very important when you sow seeds of various bu tsimilar plants, but also learning to distinguish between them without the labels also helps and comes with time.
Any how your courgettes and marrows are basically the same thing except courgettes are eaten when they are small and the marrows left to grow, although I think they can be eaten small too, they will most likely be the long ones.
I don't think any of them will be poisonous, I don't know much about gourds but I think they are just like pumpkins/sqaushes but become inedible as they ripen as they go rather hard!
Hope this helps a bit!
woolandfeathers
by woolandfeathers
I know that there are 3 main types of gourds. Cucurbita which are colourful ornamental ones, Luffa or vegetable sponge and Lagenaria which are hard shell gourds. I am not sure about whether any are dangerous to eat but a friend of mine tried one of hers once and siad it was extremely bitter so she didn;t want to eat it any way. May be someone else on here will have more knowledge to share??!!
www.woolandfeathers.co.uk
Georgee
by Georgee
Hello all.I'm with wool&feathers I dont think any we grow in the UK are poisonous.What do you mean by poisonous one which you eat and like Amanita Phalloides (Death Cap Fungi)sees you off The Gourd known as Bitter Apple is considered poisonous but I haven't heard of any one dying from eating one.I dont think anyone would eat it without they had a death wish.It has a very bitter taste.Cut one open and poke it with your finger then taste your finger (Tibetan Cow) or is it Yak.Stick with Vegatable Spaghetti if you want to try a different one to marrows and courgettes.Bye Georgee
Georgee
Ginny
by Ginny
When I was just a very little girl, my father grew some gourds. Thinking they looked very like marrows he assumed they would be edible. He tried them on me first, perhaps I was greedy and wanted to go first, trusting kid that I was,...yuck, they were very, very bitter so I didn't have more than a taste then spat it out. I went to bed thinking dad had poisoned me, but as you see, I'm still here, but boy was I scared?
Ginny
Georgee
by Georgee
Hello Ginny.As I said I dont think UK ones are poisonous but by Kerist they are definately Tibetan Cow arn't they as you found out Georgee
Georgee
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
  • 30 minutes till our live Q&A with #cheese maker @tomthecheese. Get your questions ready! Catch it here: link
  • Are you a #RisingStar? Our friends @edenproject want to hear from you. Our @GillMeller will be judging! link
  • RT @westcombecheese: Really excited to do a Q&A night tonight on Facebook with @rivercottage 7:00pm
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Our course tutor @tomthecheese will be answering your cheese making questions at 7pm tonight on our facebook page http://t.…
  • RT @HoratiosGarden: Horatio's Garden will be featured on Gardeners' World with @clevewest on Fri 5th Sept, 9.30pm on BBC2. Don't miss it! h…
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: @rivercottage Incredibly proud to have you as part of the family! x
  • Loved every minute x MT @JamiesFoodTube: @rivercottage Thank you for making #FoodTube what it is! x link
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: 1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS!!!! :D Thank you to each & every one of you! x Big BIG #LOVE! link Please RT ht…
  • One million subscribers to @JamiesFoodTube and counting. We’re very proud to be a part of that!
  • Congratulations to our five #RisingStar finalists: Lily, Chloe, Cameron, Jamie and Sophie. See you at the final! link
  • FOODTUBE: time for a retro Hugh clip now, as he as he battles it out for an elusive gold @TheMelplashShow link
  • Want to take Hugh out of his comfort zone?! Book him to do anything you want here link for @StarService #StandUpToCancer
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Learn how to use some lesser-used meat cuts on our Nose-to-tail course, where nothing is wasted! link #ze…
  • @adamtyrer Whoops, sorry!
  • RT @jamieoliver: Lovely people, we're nearly at 1 million subs on @jamiesfoodtube! Let's cross the line with this tweet! SUBSCRIBE http://t…
  • RT @SoilAssociation: It's #OrganicSeptember! We're encouraging people to make #smallchanges and support #organic - stay tuned for blogs, ev…
  • You don’t need qualifications to become one of our #apprentices. Last places remaining link @RCChefsSchool
  • “I didn’t think anyone would employ me, and now I’m being offered two jobs” #apprenticeships link @RCChefsSchool
  • Our young chef hopefuls have been interviewed and we now have our five lucky finalists for #RisingStar 2014! WATCH: link
  • RT @BloomsburyCooks: You'll be able to take a 1st look at recipes from @rivercottage #LightandEasy in tomorrow's @thetimes - GET. EXCITED. …
  • RT @CornwallCollege: Looking forward to seeing entries for #EdenRisingStar chef competition! @edenproject @rivercottage Entry details here …
  • RT @edenproject: Interested in a chef apprenticeship with us? Watch this video: link #EdenRisingStar @rivercottage @Cornw
  • Did you know you can get paid to train at our @RCChefsSchool? Last places remaining: link link
  • RT @johnmushroom: @thepamthejam @rivercottage Quite right. When I rule the world, hedgerow-cutting dates will be taken under my personal co…
  • @thepamthejam @johnmushroom King John, gosh - now there's a thought!
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Beautiful day for a #wedding, congratulations Vicky & Paul! link
  • Join us next week for the highly anticipated launch of Hugh's book, River Cottage #lightandeasy. Last tickets left! link
  • RT @GSeabright: Enter #EdenRisingStar competition for chef apprenticeships with @edenproject @rivercottage @CornwallCollege https://t.co/e1…
  • @chellemars Yes our @GelfAlderson made it! The recipe isn't online but you can learn to make it on our course! :o) link
  • . @BBCRadio2 @achrisevans absolutely, we are ready! #TFIPieDay link
  • @RachaelWedd Enjoy! We can't take all the credit though, our @johnmushroom is the brains behind that one :o) @BloomsburyCooks
  • Time for another classic #Hugh recipe - cooled lettuce and radish soup: link @JamiesFoodTube link
  • RT @edenproject: Aged 16-24 and interested in a chef apprenticeship at Eden? Enter our #EdenRisingStar competition! Find out how http://t.c…
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: **TONIGHT** #Apprenticeship open evening here at @rivercottage HQ. 6.30pm - 8.30pm. Please share! link
  • RT @crowdfunderuk: Great catch up with @LeedsBreadCoop 1 year since their #crowdfunder campaign - did you pledge? link ht…
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Just announced, @FBPocketOrch will be joining us for Hugh's Late Summer Party! Grab one of the last tickets now: http://t.c…
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: Start your morning right, with some classic @rivercottage. link
  • RT @crowdfunderuk: Guest blog: It’s been an exciting year for @SuttonFarm since their #crowdfunder campaign! link http://…
  • Our Hugh's a master in the kitchen, but he's #AtYourService for #StandUpToCancer. Book him to do anything you want! link
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Last places left for our One Day Cookery Course this Fri + Sun, call the team now for a late deal: 01297 630314: http://t.c…
  • @lucysiegle Absolutely, just follow us back and we'll send you a DM. Enjoy the pizza!
  • @lucysiegle Oh no! So sorry to hear that. Can you DM us more details so we can address the problem?
  • @BloomsburyCooks @PaulHollywood looks absolutely delicious!
  • VOTE: Support your favourite #RisingStar budding chef with just one click: link link
  • RT @starservice: A rustic @rivercottage meal from Hugh would be divine. But wouldn't it be SO much better if he read your nan a book? http:…
  • Get your hands on a signed copy of Hugh's new book and meet the man himself at our Late Summer Party. Book here: link
  • Chicken with lentils, rosemary + carrot cornbread. Sound good? It's on the menu at Hugh's book launch. Book now: link
  • St Clements polenta cake with blueberries. Salivating? Come and try it at Hugh's book launch on 4 Sept. Book here: link
  • RT @debsthelawyer: Fab day this week at @rivercottage HQ making bread and building a clay oven! link
  • Come along to Hugh's Late Summer Party on 4 Sept - meet Hugh & get his new book signed: link
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00