Forum

Start new topic

Can I eat my gourds?

Chrissy Salisbury
by Chrissy Salisbury
Hi Everyone,

Am I about to poison myself??

In the spring I carefully planted up courgettes (green and yellow), pumpkins, squashes, marrows and ornamental gourds (mainly to look pretty at halloween). Unfortunately in the transplanting they got jumbled up and now I can't tell one from the other, except that some are long, some are round and some are in between.....

Can anyone tell me whether I am likely to give myself or my husband food poisoning if we accidentally eat the gourds thinking that they are courgettes? All the leaves look alike. We haven't eaten any courgettes so far as we don't know if they are marrows or butternut squash etc.,

I know we need to label more carefully next year but it is such a shame to miss out on crops this year.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks

Chris
last edited on
superspud
by superspud
Yes labelling is very important when you sow seeds of various bu tsimilar plants, but also learning to distinguish between them without the labels also helps and comes with time.
Any how your courgettes and marrows are basically the same thing except courgettes are eaten when they are small and the marrows left to grow, although I think they can be eaten small too, they will most likely be the long ones.
I don't think any of them will be poisonous, I don't know much about gourds but I think they are just like pumpkins/sqaushes but become inedible as they ripen as they go rather hard!
Hope this helps a bit!
woolandfeathers
by woolandfeathers
I know that there are 3 main types of gourds. Cucurbita which are colourful ornamental ones, Luffa or vegetable sponge and Lagenaria which are hard shell gourds. I am not sure about whether any are dangerous to eat but a friend of mine tried one of hers once and siad it was extremely bitter so she didn;t want to eat it any way. May be someone else on here will have more knowledge to share??!!
www.woolandfeathers.co.uk
Georgee
by Georgee
Hello all.I'm with wool&feathers I dont think any we grow in the UK are poisonous.What do you mean by poisonous one which you eat and like Amanita Phalloides (Death Cap Fungi)sees you off The Gourd known as Bitter Apple is considered poisonous but I haven't heard of any one dying from eating one.I dont think anyone would eat it without they had a death wish.It has a very bitter taste.Cut one open and poke it with your finger then taste your finger (Tibetan Cow) or is it Yak.Stick with Vegatable Spaghetti if you want to try a different one to marrows and courgettes.Bye Georgee
Georgee
Ginny
by Ginny
When I was just a very little girl, my father grew some gourds. Thinking they looked very like marrows he assumed they would be edible. He tried them on me first, perhaps I was greedy and wanted to go first, trusting kid that I was,...yuck, they were very, very bitter so I didn't have more than a taste then spat it out. I went to bed thinking dad had poisoned me, but as you see, I'm still here, but boy was I scared?
Ginny
Georgee
by Georgee
Hello Ginny.As I said I dont think UK ones are poisonous but by Kerist they are definately Tibetan Cow arn't they as you found out Georgee
Georgee
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00