Can I eat my gourds?
Am I about to poison myself??
In the spring I carefully planted up courgettes (green and yellow), pumpkins, squashes, marrows and ornamental gourds (mainly to look pretty at halloween). Unfortunately in the transplanting they got jumbled up and now I can't tell one from the other, except that some are long, some are round and some are in between.....
Can anyone tell me whether I am likely to give myself or my husband food poisoning if we accidentally eat the gourds thinking that they are courgettes? All the leaves look alike. We haven't eaten any courgettes so far as we don't know if they are marrows or butternut squash etc.,
I know we need to label more carefully next year but it is such a shame to miss out on crops this year.
Can anyone advise?
Any how your courgettes and marrows are basically the same thing except courgettes are eaten when they are small and the marrows left to grow, although I think they can be eaten small too, they will most likely be the long ones.
I don't think any of them will be poisonous, I don't know much about gourds but I think they are just like pumpkins/sqaushes but become inedible as they ripen as they go rather hard!
Hope this helps a bit!