Forum

Start new topic
page 1/2 go to

ewe with blocked teat

JulesMoore
by JulesMoore
One of my ewes with a single born friday is not yielding any milk from one side. The lamb will have nothing to do with it and i cannot get any milk from it. It is starting to get red and nasty. On very close inspection (with a torch), i cannot see a hole. Is this possible does anyone know and what can i do?
last edited on
Di
by Di
Have you phoned the vet?

Di
danielle
by danielle
it could be blocked with a thick blacky grey type of secretion, it can be squeezed out if it is, it sits likke a plug in the teat.
Gervase
by Gervase
It needs unblocking, as she's a prime candidate for mastitis. If the waxy plug isn't the problem you may have to 'tube' her - putting a small amount of anti-inflammatory paste and antibiotic into the milk duct with a little tube applicator. Give your local vet a ring - they should be able to let you have one.
JulesMoore
by JulesMoore
Vet on her way, but no sign of teat hole - apparently this is possibly, i read on the internet! Will keep you posted!!
woollyval
by woollyval
Ring vet, she will need a course of antibiotics as you have a mastitis case there. Treating mastitis in sheep is a case of giving antibiotic to make that side go down as the infection has already got in. Do not tube her as tubes for cattle will not fit sheep unless the sheep concerned has a whopping udder with huge teats, you could do more harm than good esp if you have never tubed a teat before!

Once a ewe has this problem she will never recover that quarter and will always be a 'one tit wonder (otw)'. She is capable of raising 2 lambs on one teat if she is a milky ewe but I'm afraid I always sell the otw ewes in the culls in the autumn.....unless they are a very valuable pedigree ewe who has not had this sort of problem before.

Good luck
Find out about the woollyshepherd on her blog http://smallholdinginsomerset.blogspot.com Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009
JulesMoore
by JulesMoore
As predicted, the vet had to create a teat opening with a needle - not nice. I still cannot get the lamb to feed on that side and she is producing insufficient for him on the other and as he was getting very floppy, i have tubed him and am trying to get him to take to the bottle - lots of sucking with little effect, but we will persevere. I also have to milk the ewe to keep the mastitis down, but it obviously hurts her a lot poor thing. Has anyone ever used dandelion as a treatment for mastitis? Is a herbal remedy apparently, so am picking her dandelion leaves too when i can!!
woollyval
by woollyval
Try uddermint or golden udder.....very good for mastitis as is bodyshop peppermint foot lotion Hope vet jabbed with a long acting ab or gave you some usual ab for a 5 day course?
I personally dont hold much hope of you saving the quarter but good luck anyway.

Keep lamb on other quarter and tube it twice a day rather than bottling if its weak.
If you do have to bottle feed use the red teats and cut a cross on the top for weak lambs as it means they don't have to suck so hard
Find out about the woollyshepherd on her blog http://smallholdinginsomerset.blogspot.com Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009
Gervase
by Gervase
I can vouch for uddermint - it's very good for troublesome bags (and also good for people, too - soothes aching necks and inflamed joints). Nice smell, too.
JulesMoore
by JulesMoore
Thanks for all this - am just hoping that udder will dry up quickly as i dont want to keep milking her twice a day - how long do you reckon that will last? The other steep learning curve is the bottle feeding - how can a lamb suck so much and swallow so little? It may not have much strength, but it sure knows how to resist my attempts to get it to live!! Any hints? It shakes like a leaf when it is on my lap - is it terrified?
woollyval
by woollyval
Jules....if it is sucking for great britain but not getting anything down make the hole bigger!!! a cris cross in the top of the teat rather than a larger hole will work well. Put the lamb on your lap head facing away from you and stick one hand under its jaw and hold bottle in other hand. force teat into mouth if it is reluctant to take hold and clamp non bottle holding hand around jaw avoiding nostrils. keep lamb firmly sitting there with your elbows so it feels safe. Check if shaking that its not cold and going hypothermic by feeling in mouth and ears which should be nice and warm. Have you got it in house or under a lamp? Its perishingly cold and damp outside for a waek lamb......keep going some take ages to get the hang of it!
page 1/2 go to
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
  • RT @ThisisDavina: I love Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. #Scandimania
  • @ThisisDavina thanks for the love, Davina! x
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: The ultimate rural retreat...allow us to present to you our Four Day Cookery Course! link http://t.co…
  • Exciting! Look what's arrived in the office, hot off the press... #pigsandpork Congrats @GillMeller! link
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: Who's that in the @rivercottage kitchen? Why it's @tesswardchef knocking up a storm! link http://t.co…
  • . @samgorecomedian If you aspire to a career in comedy this does not reflect well. Neither, thanks to you, does our mirror.
  • RT @DeborahMeaden: “@bristolcanteen: Somebody told us @DeborahMeaden popped in for lunch. Hope you enjoyed it! #celebrityspotting in #Brist…
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Only 7 tickets left for our @martinharley gig in April. Don't miss out! https://t.co/H8x7p0PrL8 link
  • A beautiful sunset over the valley tonight! link
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: Welcoming our first #Trainees to River Cottage - the first step of their 3 month work experience programme. link
  • Hey @nationaltrust still looking for lovely frosty pics? :o)
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Wrap up warm, it's frosty out there! link
  • RT @plymouthcanteen: Feeling hungry this lunch time... Visit @plymouthcanteen for 3 small plates for only £10! link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Tickets just released for our @sohsteve gig on 22 May, which kick starts our #RCFoodFair weekend. Grab a ticket now! ht…
  • Make the most of your oven's energy, cook meals in bulk where poss. Reheating uses less energy. Top tip via @wwwfoecouk
  • . @johnmushroom looks like someone needs a #selfie stick!
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: We have discounted tickets available for this Sunday's dining experience. Gather your loved ones + come on down! https:…
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: The only thing blue about our Monday is the sky. #BlueMonday link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Want to meet @GillMeller and hear about his forthcoming book #pigsandpork? Don't miss this! https://t.co/MHIsUvUb7t htt…
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Gain work-experience in our @RCChefsSchool – free traineeships starting 26 Jan – travel expenses paid. link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: How much cake is too much cake? The fruits of our labour from today's #cake course in our #cookeryschool... http://t.co…
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Hooray! #pastrysuccess #choux link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Oh dear #pastryfail link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Time for our third breakfast of the day. It's a hard life at our #cookeryschool... link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Time for a second breakfast at the #cookeryschool... Drop scones with runny honey. link
  • @anneHuscroft1 so lovely to hear, thanks Anne! Any plans to come back to the farm soon?
  • RT @Hartsturkeys: Great stuff @ChefTomKerridge @BBCFoodandDrink @rivercottage. The best 30mins of TV this week. Looking forward to @Corriga
  • RT @jiholland111: @rivercottage @BBCFoodandDrink Great show. Excellent banter with @ChefTomKerridge :)
  • @linsalad @BBCFoodandDrink glad to hear it :o)
  • Hope you are all enjoying Hugh on @BBCFoodandDrink right now, BBC2!
  • @CharlotteClare1 sorry, blame Hugh!
  • And of course we couldn't let Hugh go without a birthday cake #50yearsofHugh #AskHugh link
  • And if you'd like to buy the book, check it out here! #lightandeasy #askHugh link
  • Thank you, its been great chatting! Have to dash, making a birthday cake for a fellow 50-year-old. Chocolate + hazelnut, pg 374! #askHugh
  • .@Eco_Gite It spreads like mad so not in the veg patch, better in a big pot, but it does take nearly a year to produce good sized roots.
  • . @Lou_la_may Default topping is a sprinkling of soft brown sugar but a trickle of runny honey is also great. #askHugh
  • .@trishaocf Could be your choice of flour or that your sd starter needs a feed up, take a good tblsp, feed it for a few days & start again.
  • . @bookslinger always lovely to hear that people are cooking from my books and enjoying the results! #askHugh
  • .@harrycornwall Cider is a good choice, I would choose a fairly dry one as the onions are quite sweet #AskHugh
  • . @_DjTC_ soon! Early Feb is good, provided you can keep them frost-free. A sunny window is good. #askHugh
  • .@IantheCW I'm all over the roots right now, big trays of them roasted and finished with a sprinkling of toasted seeds and spices #AskHugh
  • . @ACoSfChildren but it's so flat! Actually I do have a soft spot for Norfolk and it's been a while so who knows. #askHugh
  • .@rojob1 Yes, series 3 coming your way very soon and as ever Paul champions the sustainable approach to fish, veg and meat #AskHugh
  • . @missaniela really sorry but I'm not around for that one. I will be here for the Spring Food Fair in May... #askHugh
  • .@pupspigspoulets We said goodbye to our Oxford Sandy & Blacks before Christmas, they were fab! We like ringing the changes though. #AskHugh
  • . @bookslinger It's always a treat to be given other people's goodies. Of course I try them! #askHugh
  • .@GrowandEat That's a tough one to comment on without knowing the whole picture.
  • . @MyrtlesGarden there's a lovely potato gnocchi recipe in RC Veg and you could swap a GF flour in for the wheat flour. #askHugh
  • .@pickleshlee A good way to deliver vitamins and fibre but not to be drunk by the gallon as they are often quite high in sugar #AskHugh
  • . @AmberLofts523 that's better than a birthday suit! #askHugh
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00