Forum

Start new topic
page 1/3 go to

Are there signs to tell if a gilt is pregnant?

farmingfriends
by farmingfriends
Are there signs to tell if a gilt is pregnant?

I have two gilts and I would like to know how I tell if they are pregnant apart from just waiting!

Thanks

farmingfriends
last edited on
Carolyn1124
by Carolyn1124
Keep an eye on her. If she's not pregnant she should come into season every 21 days. Her bits will be red and swollen.
HTH
Carolyn
big pig
by big pig
Somebody mentioned that they can have false cycles, is this true? Has anybody else experienced this?

One of our first time gilts should farrow this weekend. Who knows what will happen!! She eats slowly, looks uncomfortable, her underline has dropped and her teats are nearly 1" long. When she lays down and you rub her tummy, she grunts and rolls right over (as if to feed her piglets). Does this sound pregnant?? Strange really, my partner thought she may have now come on heat. She is doing a fantastic job of pulling the wool over our eyes.

I had a theory that the boar was too young or too camp!

Carolyn - The only advise I could give would be to leave her with the boar for about 8 weeks. If he loses interest and doesn't get jiggy, she will be pregnant.
Carolyn1124
by Carolyn1124
Thanks Big Pig, but I'm on top of my "due dates" at present :wink: I'm sure Farmingfriends will appreciate the help though
If you do see any "action" we have a gestation chart available for download here:
http://www.tamworthbreedersclub.co.uk/15.html
Regards
Carolyn
big pig
by big pig
Carolyn - Sorry, I did actually mean that advise for farmingfriends.

I was actually after advise myself. Gilts in-pig is a difficult subject and black pigs don't seem to show up as well as whites. I was just wondering if there was a definitive way to tell when a gilt will farrow. Our gilt is either fat and baron or just pregnant.

Does anybody else experience false seasons in their in-pig gilts?? Somebody mentioned that this can happen and I would like to know if others belive this.
debbie
by debbie
not noticed it in any of ours I am afraid.
extreme freerange rare breeds berkshire pigs and pork; Smallholding and butchery/pig processing/sausage and bacon curing courses. http://www.hiddenvalleypigs.co.uk Authors of The Self Sufficiency bible - from window boxes to smallholdings by Simon Dawso
Carol Knights
by Carol Knights
Hi farming friends,
I have noticed seasons in in-pig gilts but only occasionally - it happens just once at three weeks after service when they should return if not pregnant and subsequent farrowing dates have shown that the first service was the one that worked.
From the time the pig is halfway through the pregnancy it should be possible to see a diagonal ' line ' on the side of the pig from the elbow up towards the tail - this marks the border of the swelling abdomen.In gilts this is not always apparent and often they just look a bit overweight right up to just before the birth. I'm afraid this is a wait and see situation.
Good luck.
Carol Knights alsafarm.com
big pig
by big pig

Pregnant or not?? These photos were taken 3 weeks ago. We are hoping for piglets this weekend but.....what do you think?

debbie
by debbie
Looks like she is starting to udder up but if you are expecting pigs this weekend it will be pretty obvious by now. In any case she has a beautiful beautiful face (not quite as beautiful as our Kylie you understand but maybe I might be a tad biased on that one :wink: ) I just love Berkshires.
extreme freerange rare breeds berkshire pigs and pork; Smallholding and butchery/pig processing/sausage and bacon curing courses. http://www.hiddenvalleypigs.co.uk Authors of The Self Sufficiency bible - from window boxes to smallholdings by Simon Dawso
big pig
by big pig
I understand that you are biased!!! This gilt is my favourite! We have some better examples of the breed but this one has the most character!

She has dropped a little more but I am not sure how obvious it becomes. I know that sows are really obvious but I am not sure about gilts. I know that sows can 'bag up' upto 3-4 days before farrowing, but is it true that a gilt may not bag up until hours before?

I will get some more photos today and post them up.
big pig
by big pig
What are peoples opinions on the gilt in the photo?? Is she pregnant or not?

She didn't drop any piglets this weekend!! She doesn't seem to be growing too much but her underline bows (rather than being straight) and her teats are about 1" long.
page 1/3 go to
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
  • @Botanygeek Hi James, would you mind following back so we can DM you?
  • @catrinelisa oh well, at least you are recycling - that's something to be proud of!
  • Loving the photos you are taking of your kitchen sink views! Any more for us? #cookeveryday
  • RT @deemscox: @rivercottage here is the view from my kitchen window this am. Am watching the grapes being harvested in Monbazillac http://t…
  • Join @lambposts at @TheBIGFoodShow tomorrow at 4pm. He'll doing a demo and signing copies of his new book: link
  • RT @GelfAlderson: @rivercottage not quite as nice but I spend at least as much time at river cottage as I do at home! #cookeveryday http://…
  • . @MarkDoc @johnmushroom @thepamthejam @lambposts looking forward to handbooks at dawn tomorrow :o) #cookeveryday
  • RT @greekrara: @rivercottage #cookeveryday View from my kitchen sink. Milly the chicken has come to say hello! link
  • @MarkDoc @johnmushroom @thepamthejam @lambposts you need to get with the #cookeveryday programme, Mark! link
  • @wise_wendy wow! Amazing #cookeveryday
  • RT @KateinDorset: @rivercottage #23 The view from my kitchen sink? A prettified former outside loo door! #cookeveryday link
  • . @johnmushroom Sounds delightful!
  • RT @johnmushroom: @rivercottage #cookeveryday View from sink? Patio full of beer barrels seen through clutter of bottles of unknown and fes…
  • #23 for #cookeveryday - we want to see the view from your kitchen sink. Here's ours... link
  • . @Melsnrmcg aw, thanks so much! #cookeveryday
  • RT @harriet_grose: I have to say my Mum got me into cooking, from a very early age!! #agaliving #countrylife @RiverCottageHQ #cookeveryday
  • RT @SuzanneMoulson: @rivercottage Both my (wonderful) parents encouraged me to cook, I made the best Yorkshire Puddings by the age of 9 #yu…
  • @KirstieMAllsopp Hello! Could you follow us back? We'd like to DM you about something...
  • RT @Loztastique: @rivercottage #cookeveryday my gran. She had a simple strategy - good ingredients cooked simply. And lemon & cream improve…
  • #22 for #cookeveryday is - what got you into cooking? Perhaps a friend, family member, teacher or TV show?
  • RT @TinaTinaMay: @rivercottage I was made to eat that terrible mash made out of powder as a kid...why, when I could have had proper yummy b…
  • Any more for #21 of #cookeveryday? We're asking for food you were made to eat as a kid, lots of good answers so far! link
  • RT @GelfAlderson: @rivercottage was brought up as a vegetarian, rice flan always stuck with me, it summed up vegetarian cookery at its wors…
  • RT @HappyDaysNo1: @rivercottage I was made to eat liver and bacon casserole. I appreciate it now but wasn't such a fan as a kid. #cookevery…
  • RT @beckybeasley: @rivercottage lentil loaf, me and sis used to sneak it to the dog. #cookeveryday
  • RT @Bentholyptus: @rivercottage #everything. if I didn't eat everything on plate I couldn't leave dinner table. Suprised I'm not 20st #cook…
  • @NickKillingback Hmm, tricky. Let's ask @johnmushroom... #mushrooming
  • RT @allybag1: Gristle!!! Every bit of meat! Had to stay at the table till it was all gone ! Don't eat meat now ! #cookeveryday
  • RT @roryos31: @rivercottage #cookeveryday .My dad a chef loved making us eat all sorts -heart, pigs head , pigs feet etc.Not left leave ta…
  • It's time for #21 of #cookeveryday. What were you made to eat as a kid? Go! link
  • RT @AnnaPitt: @rivercottage fave autumn treat: bonfire, mulled wine, pumpkin soup and the glow of pumpkin lanterns #cookeveryday
  • @jonnytbonewils over to @lambposts...
  • WATCH: Make your own traditional apple and blackberry fruit leather with @thepamthejam link #cookeveryday
  • RT @Alpro_UK: We’re whipping up our hazelnut orange custard @RiverCottage – it's one of our fave autumn treats! #cookeveryday link
  • RT @plymouthcanteen: An exciting opportunity has arisen for a new Head Chef here at the Plymouth Canteen link
  • RT @thetimes: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on how his mum taught him to bake, only in today's @thetimes (@rivercottage) link
  • RT @comeconella: @rivercottage all things butternut! #cookeveryday
  • @JayAllen33 @RiverCottageHQ good question! Let's ask @lambposts...
  • RT @CoopFayB: @rivercottage blackberry & apple crumble. Perfect from the picking through to the eating. #cookeveryday
  • RT @renc_g: @rivercottage My fave autumn treat? It's spring in Oz, so I'm gonna say rhubarb!! #cookeveryday
  • RT @violetpsyche: @rivercottage My favourite autumn treat: has to be treacle toffee. #cookeveryday
  • Happy Monday all! #20 on #cookeveryday is favourite autumn treats (edible or otherwise) - let's hear them now... link
  • RT @violetpsyche: @rivercottage Veg I grow in my garden: None this year. I grow fruit and want to grow more veg, if slugs will let me! #coo…
  • RT @truss_abbie: @rivercottage #cookeveryday grow veg on my allotment but in the garden is fennel...lots of other herbs and wild garlic in …
  • #19 for #cookeveryday is all about veg. What do you grow in your garden? #growyourown link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: . @rivercottage we love ALL cheese, especially that made by @tomthecheese on our course! link #cooker…
  • RT @lisa_spelling: @rivercottage all of them!! But especially Waterloo and stinking bishop and sharpham rustic with a large glass of port! …
  • RT @renc_g: @rivercottage Cheese of choice? Too hard! I love them all! Something French, creamy & smelly... Mmm... #cookeveryday
  • Morning #cookeveryday fans! Time for #18, what's your favourite cheese? link
  • Hugh helped raise money for #StandUpToCancer with @starservice! Can you help too? link
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00