Forum

Start new topic

Large Black's to butchers, what age-weight and selling meat

craig3
by craig3
We have 2 large black boars who are about 6 months old, we cant work out what age to send them to the butchers or the weight i suppose is more important, some have said about boar taint, and some said boar taint is a miff, I will weigh them this week using the measuring tape technique, but if anyone can advise what weight we would be very gratefull.

also if we decide to open a small farm shop at our home what regualtions are there, all the meat would be frozen we think, but we are not sure about meat regulations etc, it wil all be packed and weighed by our butcher and priced / labled by him etc, we have 15 piglets due for the butchers the next 3 months or so and more on the way so we thought we should sell some of it which was our plan from starting with pigs 18 months ago and we are now getting nearer, ive rung trading standards and local health authority some 3 months ago, both said they would get someone to ring us but never did.
any advice on what we have to do???
last edited on
ukag0972
by ukag0972
Personally, I slaughter my tamworths at 6 months. Usually they are about 100kg, or slightly under.
I've neve had a problem with boar taint at that age.

You definately need to get a hold of a "higher power" to see about your farm shop idea. It's worth asking for a visit rather than a phone call, they are not as scary as they make out.
Some might even appreciate a day out of the office!!

Good luck
bogoiler
by bogoiler
i've been down the same line with the trading standards and health lot ,didn't tell me anything ,said it was up to me to sort out what rules etc i needed to go by,and its hard to find out what they are !no one like to tell you !
craig3
by craig3
ive just measured our large black boars there 6 1/2 months old, i recon with the tape there about 55 kg's.. there length is 39 inches and there girth is 35 inches, we deliberatly have not forced them with food, they have been on a fruit and veg diet with nuts ocasionaly, im just a bit worried they havent enough weight on them for there age..
we was hoping to send them to slaughter at 7 months old but not sure now.
oaklandspigs
by oaklandspigs
Re pigs

What weight to send them off at depends on what you are planning. If just as a joint pig (ie not bacon), & selling privately (eg family & friends) then you may do better to send lighter, and get smaller joints that are popular than risk sending heavier and find that the extra weight is just fat.

If you are doing for bacon, you want a larger pig to get the "tail" of the rasher.

If selling into the market (eg to the abattoir) then you need to ask who you are selling to what they are after.

Re Farm shops

From people we have talked to it really does depend on your local officials attitudes, some are really helpful, some not.

So what is a farm shop? You are entitled to "sell at the farm gate", but need to register as a food producer. Friends of ours have a B&Q shed with a freezer in it. Local TS very happy with that. However everything that is in that freezer :

must be for sale (cannot mix home and for sale gods - no left over fish fingers from last nights family meal allowed)
must be correctly described – “leg of pork” fine, its a leg and it's pork. “pork sausages” not ok as you will have added something to them, so every ingredient must be listed. “Sausages” fine – no ingredients listed.
Weight must be correct if listed, or if you quote prices in “per kg”. Just putting a price but no weight on is fine.

If you get further into a “real” farm shop – the market is starting to fill with these, and unless you are prepared to sink £200-£300K into one, higher 2-3 workers and become a slave to it, suggest you forget it !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk "Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs - buy on-line; One Day Pig Courses in South East ; Weaners and older pigs for sale - Visit our site for details
oaklandspigs
by oaklandspigs
Sorry, forgot to answer the question on boar taint.

Boar taint MAY occur in sexually mature uncastrated male pigs, and then again it MAY NOT.

If it does, about 1 in 2 women can detect it, and about 1 in 7 males can detect it.

Sainsbury's cannot afford to risk a customer detecting it, so insist that all male pigs are castrated

Some of our customers worry about it, so only buy females.

We always take males onto slaughter. 2 reasons 1) as above we sell more females than males, and 2) males get to slaughter weight more quickly, so I will keep the males, as they cost less to bring to slaughter weight.

I have never experienced boar taint, and we have taken males onto 12 months before slaughter. However they have not been in mixed groups, and are in woods well away (a whole 50m!) from any girls.

I would not take a boar for meat who has "done the deed" , but otherwise under a year my personal experience is that there is no difference
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk "Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs - buy on-line; One Day Pig Courses in South East ; Weaners and older pigs for sale - Visit our site for details
JaneE
by JaneE
You're about right in your calculations. I generally find that my weaners are 70 lbs a half pig when slaughtered, so that's 140 lb plus head deadweight and they reach that at about 6 months. If you want them bigger, why don't you give them 2 weeks of increased grower pellets and measure again ? You're not far off and you could go for smaller joints.
bring me sunshine
by bring me sunshine
We intended to send our two Welsh weaners at 6 months but made the classic beginner's mistake of ringing the abattoir when they were ready instead of arranging a date in advance. We had to wait another three weeks and our already big pigs kept on growing... We changed their diet to keep them lean (purepy by accident, I'm sure but there wasn't a trace on unwanted fat on either pig) but we had some joints that weighed over 4kg!

One was a boar, one was a gilt. Not a single person I've spoken to has mentioned any difference in taste, men and women.
Kune Kune pigs, chickens, cats and dogs in south Wales
craig3
by craig3
Thanks
bogoiler
by bogoiler
Re pigs

What weight to send them off at depends on what you are planning. If just as a joint pig (ie not bacon), & selling privately (eg family & friends) then you may do better to send lighter, and get smaller joints that are popular than risk sending heavier and find that the extra weight is just fat.

If you are doing for bacon, you want a larger pig to get the "tail" of the rasher.

If selling into the market (eg to the abattoir) then you need to ask who you are selling to what they are after.

Re Farm shops

From people we have talked to it really does depend on your local officials attitudes, some are really helpful, some not.

So what is a farm shop? You are entitled to "sell at the farm gate", but need to register as a food producer. Friends of ours have a B&Q shed with a freezer in it. Local TS very happy with that. However everything that is in that freezer :

must be for sale (cannot mix home and for sale gods - no left over fish fingers from last nights family meal allowed)
must be correctly described – “leg of pork” fine, its a leg and it's pork. “pork sausages” not ok as you will have added something to them, so every ingredient must be listed. “Sausages” fine – no ingredients listed.
Weight must be correct if listed, or if you quote prices in “per kg”. Just putting a price but no weight on is fine.

If you get further into a “real” farm shop – the market is starting to fill with these, and unless you are prepared to sink £200-£300K into one, higher 2-3 workers and become a slave to it, suggest you forget it !

your right about the area your in ,i'm in bradford area and they just will not help or tell me anything ,i want to set up a cutting room can they tell me what the regulations are no have to do it then they will tell me what is wrong with it ,got everything i need equipment wise, guy next door is a butcher and will do the cutting just need to know regulations ,had the last six pig cut up and vac packed inc sausage cost nearly £350 which eats in to any profit ! anyone know the rules /regulation re a cutting room!
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
  • RT @HoratiosGarden: Horatio's Garden will be featured on Gardeners' World with @clevewest on Fri 5th Sept, 9.30pm on BBC2. Don't miss it! h…
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: @rivercottage Incredibly proud to have you as part of the family! x
  • Loved every minute x MT @JamiesFoodTube: @rivercottage Thank you for making #FoodTube what it is! x link
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: 1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS!!!! :D Thank you to each & every one of you! x Big BIG #LOVE! link Please RT ht…
  • One million subscribers to @JamiesFoodTube and counting. We’re very proud to be a part of that!
  • Congratulations to our five #RisingStar finalists: Lily, Chloe, Cameron, Jamie and Sophie. See you at the final! link
  • FOODTUBE: time for a retro Hugh clip now, as he as he battles it out for an elusive gold @TheMelplashShow link
  • Want to take Hugh out of his comfort zone?! Book him to do anything you want here link for @StarService #StandUpToCancer
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Learn how to use some lesser-used meat cuts on our Nose-to-tail course, where nothing is wasted! link #ze…
  • @adamtyrer Whoops, sorry!
  • RT @jamieoliver: Lovely people, we're nearly at 1 million subs on @jamiesfoodtube! Let's cross the line with this tweet! SUBSCRIBE http://t…
  • RT @SoilAssociation: It's #OrganicSeptember! We're encouraging people to make #smallchanges and support #organic - stay tuned for blogs, ev…
  • You don’t need qualifications to become one of our #apprentices. Last places remaining link @RCChefsSchool
  • “I didn’t think anyone would employ me, and now I’m being offered two jobs” #apprenticeships link @RCChefsSchool
  • Our young chef hopefuls have been interviewed and we now have our five lucky finalists for #RisingStar 2014! WATCH: link
  • RT @BloomsburyCooks: You'll be able to take a 1st look at recipes from @rivercottage #LightandEasy in tomorrow's @thetimes - GET. EXCITED. …
  • RT @CornwallCollege: Looking forward to seeing entries for #EdenRisingStar chef competition! @edenproject @rivercottage Entry details here …
  • RT @edenproject: Interested in a chef apprenticeship with us? Watch this video: link #EdenRisingStar @rivercottage @Cornw
  • Did you know you can get paid to train at our @RCChefsSchool? Last places remaining: link link
  • RT @johnmushroom: @thepamthejam @rivercottage Quite right. When I rule the world, hedgerow-cutting dates will be taken under my personal co…
  • @thepamthejam @johnmushroom King John, gosh - now there's a thought!
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Beautiful day for a #wedding, congratulations Vicky & Paul! link
  • Join us next week for the highly anticipated launch of Hugh's book, River Cottage #lightandeasy. Last tickets left! link
  • RT @GSeabright: Enter #EdenRisingStar competition for chef apprenticeships with @edenproject @rivercottage @CornwallCollege https://t.co/e1…
  • @chellemars Yes our @GelfAlderson made it! The recipe isn't online but you can learn to make it on our course! :o) link
  • . @BBCRadio2 @achrisevans absolutely, we are ready! #TFIPieDay link
  • @RachaelWedd Enjoy! We can't take all the credit though, our @johnmushroom is the brains behind that one :o) @BloomsburyCooks
  • Time for another classic #Hugh recipe - cooled lettuce and radish soup: link @JamiesFoodTube link
  • RT @edenproject: Aged 16-24 and interested in a chef apprenticeship at Eden? Enter our #EdenRisingStar competition! Find out how http://t.c…
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: **TONIGHT** #Apprenticeship open evening here at @rivercottage HQ. 6.30pm - 8.30pm. Please share! link
  • RT @crowdfunderuk: Great catch up with @LeedsBreadCoop 1 year since their #crowdfunder campaign - did you pledge? link ht…
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Just announced, @FBPocketOrch will be joining us for Hugh's Late Summer Party! Grab one of the last tickets now: http://t.c…
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: Start your morning right, with some classic @rivercottage. link
  • RT @crowdfunderuk: Guest blog: It’s been an exciting year for @SuttonFarm since their #crowdfunder campaign! link http://…
  • Our Hugh's a master in the kitchen, but he's #AtYourService for #StandUpToCancer. Book him to do anything you want! link
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Last places left for our One Day Cookery Course this Fri + Sun, call the team now for a late deal: 01297 630314: http://t.c…
  • @lucysiegle Absolutely, just follow us back and we'll send you a DM. Enjoy the pizza!
  • @lucysiegle Oh no! So sorry to hear that. Can you DM us more details so we can address the problem?
  • @BloomsburyCooks @PaulHollywood looks absolutely delicious!
  • VOTE: Support your favourite #RisingStar budding chef with just one click: link link
  • RT @starservice: A rustic @rivercottage meal from Hugh would be divine. But wouldn't it be SO much better if he read your nan a book? http:…
  • Get your hands on a signed copy of Hugh's new book and meet the man himself at our Late Summer Party. Book here: link
  • Chicken with lentils, rosemary + carrot cornbread. Sound good? It's on the menu at Hugh's book launch. Book now: link
  • St Clements polenta cake with blueberries. Salivating? Come and try it at Hugh's book launch on 4 Sept. Book here: link
  • RT @debsthelawyer: Fab day this week at @rivercottage HQ making bread and building a clay oven! link
  • Come along to Hugh's Late Summer Party on 4 Sept - meet Hugh & get his new book signed: link
  • Tweet your support for your favourite Rising Star hopeful and we’ll RT the lot! Get voting, folks! link
  • RT @GiulsMat: Vote for my friend CHLOE RIDE in the #RisingStar2014 competition for #RiverCottage. Here is her video - MAD SKILLS https://t.…
  • @lamornadavies You should be able to translate the website... it's in Danish :o)
  • Danish friends! Fancy a Booze masterclass with @johnmushroom? You are in luck! Don't miss @FoodFestivalDK https://t.co/eUucCIqDA1
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00