Forum

Start new topic
page 1/2 go to

haylage?

mikey0909
by mikey0909
hello,

our local farmer sometimes gets bales of haylage sent back from horsey types if there's a bit of bad haylage or whatever. he generally dumps he remainder of the bale. can we feed it to our pigs? or is it too rich?

thanks,

michael
last edited on
Keythorpe Valley Farm
by Keythorpe Valley Farm
Feed away they love it - or at least mine do!
www.keythorpe.co.uk - Breeders and rearers of Lops, Large Blacks,Kune Kune, Gloucesters, Oxfords
oaklandspigs
by oaklandspigs
pigs love hay, pigs love grass, and so pigs love haylage.

Feed away - particularly if it's free !!!
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk "Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs - buy on-line; One Day Pig Courses in South East ; Weaners and older pigs for sale - Visit our site for details
mikey0909
by mikey0909
thanks!
bj_cardiff
by bj_cardiff
If its been sent back because its not suitable for horses it prob means that it has rot or mould in it (the only reason I send haylage back), I know that you have to be careful feeding haylage to sheep as if they leave a bit in the bottom of the feeder that becomes mouldy they can be at risk of catching lysteriosis (or something like that).

So you could pick through the haylage and pick out the good stuff, I doubt the pigs would eat the rotten stuff anyway! I used to feed my pigs haylage and they loved it
nadines
by nadines
we feed our pigs silage and they just love it so do chooks. they also love lucern as well. Pigs are not fusy animals and what they don't eat they will usually sleep on
A husband, 4 kids, pigs, chickens, Sheep, dairys cows, British White beef cows, turkeys, ducks, geese, bees and me what a life
mikey0909
by mikey0909
bj,

i think it's also to do with too many docks? which presumably the pigs won't mind... i do know that the horsey types round here can be very picky!

michael
oaklandspigs
by oaklandspigs
docks, no problem to a pig

As BJ says what they don't eat, they sleep on, or tread into the ground to re-incorporate (must be a technical agricultural phrase for this, but it has been a long day!)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk "Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs - buy on-line; One Day Pig Courses in South East ; Weaners and older pigs for sale - Visit our site for details
Julie S
by Julie S
My pigs won't touch hay or haylage except to make a nest with it and I buy really good quality stuff...

Are my pigs just fussy?
200 primitive sheep, 4 kunekune pigs, 2 donkeys, 1 shetland pony, 12 cats (including 2 naked Sphynx cats) and a bunch of gruesome chickens...
Keythorpe Valley Farm
by Keythorpe Valley Farm
My pigs won't touch hay or haylage except to make a nest with it and I buy really good quality stuff...

Are my pigs just fussy?

Yep
www.keythorpe.co.uk - Breeders and rearers of Lops, Large Blacks,Kune Kune, Gloucesters, Oxfords
oaklandspigs
by oaklandspigs
if they don't like it stop buying it !
page 1/2 go to
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00