Forum

Start new topic

what age do ducks start laying?

Bramerton
by Bramerton
I bought three ducks(two ducks and a drake) last week and was told that they were about 20 weeks old. They are settling in nicely, getting excited when they see me and the prospect of being fed. At what age should I expect them to start laying? How can I encourage them as I am looking forward to an egg for my breakfast. Are there any duck eggs you can not eat? The ducks were sold to me as Apricot Call Ducks however I suspect that they are some sort of mallards as they are now much too big. The male is very pretty - black head with slight green sheen, soft grey back with a black rump and a real gentleman too - always lets his grils eat first, even when snails are on the menu! 8)
last edited on
TESSANN
by TESSANN
Congratulations on your new ducks!!

At 20 weeks old they should be about ready to lay, so keep an eye out. I used to eat my Khaki Campbell eggs but don't know about Call Ducks.

Have fun !!

Rosemary
Jack Daniels
by Jack Daniels
I used to eat my Khaki Campbell eggs

She laid for you, but not for me!
How did this hobby take over my life!
mammachucky
by mammachucky
Hi there

we eat our white call duck eggs!! They're yummy!!
Bramerton
by Bramerton
Our ducks have started laying! Lily was the first with beautiful creamy white eggs and then Poppy started and hers are beautiful 'duck egg blue'. They look fantastic side by side in the egg basket and are delicious to eat. My daughter had one for breakfast this morning and we shared an omlet yesterday lunchtime. Oh the joy and satisfaction of home produce!

They are probably fertilised as we have a drake. How long will they keep before they have to be eaten and is it best to keep them in the fridge? Poppy's tend to be a little dirty whereas Lily's are very clean. Should I wash them before storing?

Thanks for all the help and advice.
TESSANN
by TESSANN
Great news!!

I used to keep my duck eggs in the fridge and eat them up within about ten days. It is best not to wash eggs as it can introduce bacteria into the egg and it will send it bad, although if any of my duck eggs were particularly dirty we did wash them, but make sure the water is about the same temp as the egg.

I understand it is illegal to sell washed chicken eggs because of the risk of contamination, but with duck eggs I think the laws are a bit more relaxed.

Enjoy !
Bramerton
by Bramerton
Hi Tessann

thanks for the advice. My daughters and I all had duck eggs and toast soldiers for breakfast, they were fantastic. They were no different to chicken's eggs, I was a little worried that they might be strong tasting and that the girls would not like them.

We have now moved ducks to their permenant enclosure in the orchard and they seem to like the duck palace my husband built for them (insulated and lined out!) Poppy has continued to lay however Lily has not laid for two days. Will she be getting egg bound or could the change in environment have stopped her ovulating for a time? They all seem very happy, eating, swimming, quietly talking to each other and sleeping in what little sun we are having at the moment.
DeClance
by DeClance

I have 2 Muscovy Ducklings. One of each. They are only four weeks old today. I bought 6 fertile eggs. They were partially incubated, and spent the last nine days under a reluctant Cream Legbar, but just the two hatched out. When the duck is old enough to lay, the hope is, that in time, they will breed. They are different colours, and from different parents. I will then have more eggs to eat, cook with, and cope with the neighbours requests for more of my eggs. I already have a dozen Hens, but have wanted Ducks for some time. The Muscovies are delightful birds, they are quiet, unlike other breeds, and I believe that they are good layers. Looking forward to the outcome.

This post is still pending moderation!

To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
  • RT @harriet_grose: I have to say my Mum got me into cooking, from a very early age!! #agaliving #countrylife @RiverCottageHQ #cookeveryday
  • RT @SuzanneMoulson: @rivercottage Both my (wonderful) parents encouraged me to cook, I made the best Yorkshire Puddings by the age of 9 #yu…
  • @KirstieMAllsopp Hello! Could you follow us back? We'd like to DM you about something...
  • RT @Loztastique: @rivercottage #cookeveryday my gran. She had a simple strategy - good ingredients cooked simply. And lemon & cream improve…
  • #22 for #cookeveryday is - what got you into cooking? Perhaps a friend, family member, teacher or TV show?
  • RT @TinaTinaMay: @rivercottage I was made to eat that terrible mash made out of powder as a kid...why, when I could have had proper yummy b…
  • Any more for #21 of #cookeveryday? We're asking for food you were made to eat as a kid, lots of good answers so far! link
  • RT @GelfAlderson: @rivercottage was brought up as a vegetarian, rice flan always stuck with me, it summed up vegetarian cookery at its wors…
  • RT @HappyDaysNo1: @rivercottage I was made to eat liver and bacon casserole. I appreciate it now but wasn't such a fan as a kid. #cookevery…
  • RT @beckybeasley: @rivercottage lentil loaf, me and sis used to sneak it to the dog. #cookeveryday
  • RT @Bentholyptus: @rivercottage #everything. if I didn't eat everything on plate I couldn't leave dinner table. Suprised I'm not 20st #cook…
  • @NickKillingback Hmm, tricky. Let's ask @johnmushroom... #mushrooming
  • RT @allybag1: Gristle!!! Every bit of meat! Had to stay at the table till it was all gone ! Don't eat meat now ! #cookeveryday
  • RT @roryos31: @rivercottage #cookeveryday .My dad a chef loved making us eat all sorts -heart, pigs head , pigs feet etc.Not left leave ta…
  • It's time for #21 of #cookeveryday. What were you made to eat as a kid? Go! link
  • RT @AnnaPitt: @rivercottage fave autumn treat: bonfire, mulled wine, pumpkin soup and the glow of pumpkin lanterns #cookeveryday
  • @jonnytbonewils over to @lambposts...
  • WATCH: Make your own traditional apple and blackberry fruit leather with @thepamthejam link #cookeveryday
  • RT @Alpro_UK: We’re whipping up our hazelnut orange custard @RiverCottage – it's one of our fave autumn treats! #cookeveryday link
  • RT @plymouthcanteen: An exciting opportunity has arisen for a new Head Chef here at the Plymouth Canteen link
  • RT @thetimes: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on how his mum taught him to bake, only in today's @thetimes (@rivercottage) link
  • RT @comeconella: @rivercottage all things butternut! #cookeveryday
  • @JayAllen33 @RiverCottageHQ good question! Let's ask @lambposts...
  • RT @CoopFayB: @rivercottage blackberry & apple crumble. Perfect from the picking through to the eating. #cookeveryday
  • RT @renc_g: @rivercottage My fave autumn treat? It's spring in Oz, so I'm gonna say rhubarb!! #cookeveryday
  • RT @violetpsyche: @rivercottage My favourite autumn treat: has to be treacle toffee. #cookeveryday
  • Happy Monday all! #20 on #cookeveryday is favourite autumn treats (edible or otherwise) - let's hear them now... link
  • RT @violetpsyche: @rivercottage Veg I grow in my garden: None this year. I grow fruit and want to grow more veg, if slugs will let me! #coo…
  • RT @truss_abbie: @rivercottage #cookeveryday grow veg on my allotment but in the garden is fennel...lots of other herbs and wild garlic in …
  • #19 for #cookeveryday is all about veg. What do you grow in your garden? #growyourown link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: . @rivercottage we love ALL cheese, especially that made by @tomthecheese on our course! link #cooker…
  • RT @lisa_spelling: @rivercottage all of them!! But especially Waterloo and stinking bishop and sharpham rustic with a large glass of port! …
  • RT @renc_g: @rivercottage Cheese of choice? Too hard! I love them all! Something French, creamy & smelly... Mmm... #cookeveryday
  • Morning #cookeveryday fans! Time for #18, what's your favourite cheese? link
  • Hugh helped raise money for #StandUpToCancer with @starservice! Can you help too? link
  • RT @rose_rambles: @rivercottage My family's favourite cake to make & eat: vanilla sponge filled with cream & sliced pear #cookeveryday http…
  • RT @whitstabob: @rivercottage it's presently Lemon, lavender and almond because it's the only edible one I've ever made! link
  • #17 for #cookeveryday: what's your favourite cake to make / eat? Go! link
  • Hungry? Find high welfare meat retailers near you link @PigBusiness link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Come together to toast the #festive period with a seasonal aperitif & a roaring log fire in our yurt. Book now! http://…
  • RT @johnmushroom: @rivercottage #cookeveryday. Not yet mastered? Pastry. But how hard can it be? River Cottage Handbook needed, I think.
  • Keep your #cookeveryday answers coming - what cookery course would you like to do? What skill have you yet to master? link
  • Vote with your wallet. Watch @PigBusiness’ 3-minute video and sign the #PigPledge link
  • Today's #cookeveryday is: what's your ideal cookery course? What would you most like to learn? #cookeryschool
  • The new 3 minute #PigPledge video reveals the true cost of cheap pork - watch, share and sign! link
  • RT @BloomsburyCooks: Fantastic day today spent down in the farm @rivercottage - we got to ride on a tractor?! WINNING link
  • Keep your favourite chefs coming in - and remember to tag with #cookeveryday. Lots of love for @jamieoliver @rick_stein @Ottolenghi, Hugh...
  • RT @Lanzy_88: @rivercottage fav chefs wud have to be Hugh and the Hairy Bikers #cookeveryday
  • @hugo_harrison Assume you've seen Hugh's new one, #lightandeasy? It's packed with #wheatfree and #dairyfree recipes: link
  • RT @WinCanteen: Who's coming to meet Hugh tomorrow? He will be here at 10.30am to meet guests and sign his new book @rivercottage
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00