Forum

Start new topic

Cold Smoker Plans

Coldsmoking
by Coldsmoking
I've been smoking fish and meat for ages and i have to admit I used to use cardboard boxes and any old container I could lay my hands on. The trouble with all that is your garden begins to resemble a shanti town. I made a lovely cold smoker which works really well, is versatile, robust and (even if i say so myself) looks ok. http://www.coldsmoking.co.uk I hope you enjoy the site and if you would like some friendly advice I'd be happy to assist. I have a set of plans with notes for the actual smoker I built so if you like it feel free to download them.
Regards T
last edited on
Coldsmoking
by Coldsmoking
I've been smoking fish and meat for ages and i have to admit I used to use cardboard boxes and any old container I could lay my hands on. The trouble with all that is your garden begins to resemble a shanti town. I made a lovely cold smoker which works really well, is versatile, robust and (even if i say so myself) looks ok. www.coldsmoking.co.uk I hope you enjoy the site and if you would like some friendly advice I'd be happy to assist. I have a set of plans with notes for the actual smoket I built so if you like it feel free to download them.
Regards T
Ian McKend
by Ian McKend
What temps does it get up to in the smoker and how do you monitor it?
Coldsmoking
by Coldsmoking
The temperature never really gets above 28c (and thats when I use the smoker on a summer evening) and much less in winter. The majority of heat is lost in the horizontal part of the pipe as it travels from the smoke generator to the bottom of the smoker. This is the most important part of coldsmoking. There has to be a little heat left in the smoke otherwise it won't rise through the smoker. It is possible to test the temperature of the smoker with a thermometer but I don't really need to do this now. If you need to test the temperature of the smoker place the thermostat in the upper part of the smoke box.
Ian McKend
by Ian McKend
I would have thought monitoring the temps would be of utmost importance, maybe not for cheese, but certainly when one is smoking fish.
Coldsmoking
by Coldsmoking
Theres an old saying about never asking a question you don't already know the answer to. Of course temperature is important Ian as I guess you already know. After all it's what defines hot or cold smoking!!
Ian McKend
by Ian McKend
Just thought I'd mention it, as most people on here are looking for info on how to do stuff.
Looked at your website... looking good! (BTW couldn't find any mention of temps for cold smoking on there either).

For anyone wanting to try cold smoking, please read up on the subject 1st and only try
this method once you're sure you understand the process. Cold smoking is fairly easy to do, but if done incorrectly can be dangerous. Do not cold smoke at temps above 32 DegC.
Coldsmoking
by Coldsmoking
http://www.coldsmoking.co.uk/coldsmoking.htm
Bottom of the first paragraph.
Also, It's worth remembering the salting is the most important part of the process as this is what prevents the development of dangerous bacteria. Smoking has a mild antiseptic quality but really only adds flavour. We can agree to disagree about the temp but I think you'd have extreme difficulty in maintaining 32 deg C in summer.
Kind regards
Turan
Ian McKend
by Ian McKend
Sorry my mistake!

I do feel that smoking above 32 deg C is dangerous... the many sources I have read all state this. Cold smoking is done at temps between 10 - 32 degC and idealy at 24-26 degC. Unless the ambient temp rises above 32, which you have to admit seldom happens in the UK, I can maintain safe temps all day long.

Sorry for sounding like an ass, but I am paranoid about people getting poisoned.
Granny Magda
by Granny Magda
Hi Ian,

Sorry for sounding like an ass, but I am paranoid about people getting poisoned.

Paranoia is for irrational fears.

It's sound advice to be as careful as you can. No-one ever died from an over-cautiously-smoked kipper.
I've had enough of gardening - I'm just about ready to throw in the trowel.
Coldsmoking
by Coldsmoking
I received a wonderful email from a fellow coldsmoker in Scotland who downloaded my plans and built himself a coldsmoker to my specification. I have to say theres something quite satisfying about seeing your plans turned into reality. Initially I thought this feeling was only realised when I finished my coldsmoker and stood back to wonder at my creation. A sense of pride in acomplishment. creating something from parts has always held a fascinatiion for me (and a lot of other blokes I'm led to believe).
Well imagine my astonishment when out of the blue one of my customers (who purchased my plans from the tinternet) emailed me with a few well chosen sentenses and a couple of pictures to show how well his coldsmoker works. I thought my original feelings of achievement could'nt be surpassed. How wrong I was. So good were his efforts I am going to post the pics on my web page.

Incidentally, I have a couple of coldsmoking courses running this autumn with spaces left o nthem. If you're interested please do let me know as spaces are limited.
Kind regards
Turan
www.coldsmoking.co.uk
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
  • Have you cast your vote yet for the @SoilAssociation #OrganicAwards? You could win a hamper of organic goodies! link
  • @makingmewonder Sounds like you are enjoying #lightandeasy :o)
  • RT @makingmewonder: Simply divine Chicken with Lentils & Rosemary from the fantastic new @rivercottage book this evening. Thai Slow-cooked …
  • RT @IanGJones: @RiverCottageHQ can't tell you how much I enjoyed my day today @lambposts was brilliant as always - everyone should go at le…
  • For more details about #cookeveryday read on here: link
  • Oct is #cookeveryday month! From Weds we'll be asking you to get involved with a different theme each day. Who's in? link
  • RT @SoilAssociation: We’re delighted to be working with @LPQUK to #KeepBritainBuzzing. Find out why #bees are in decline link
  • When does a soup become a drink, FoodTubers? Hugh explains all in his latest exclusive video: link
  • Today Hugh rustles up his light and easy bloody beetroot soup, exclusively for #FoodTube. link
  • Be as fair as you think you are. Join the @FairtradeUK Great British Fairness Debate at link #befair
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: The judging continues at our #MacmillanCoffeeMorning - very tense scenes here with @thepamthejam @GillMeller http://t.c…
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Who needs Berry + Hollywood when you have @thepamthejam + @GillMeller to judge cake! #macmillancoffee @BritishBakeOff h…
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Our efforts for #MacmillanCoffee - get the kettle on! Proud to raise money for @macmillancancer link
  • RT @PigBusiness: Help us stop the development of Foston's #FactoryFarm! We need your support to stop #FactoryFarming in the #UK http://t.co…
  • Our @WinCanteen is officially open. Book your table now! #winchester link link
  • RT @plymouthcanteen: Hugh is here chatting to our Chefs. He will be signing his new book at 2.30, pop down & get a copy! @RiverCottageHQ ht…
  • RT @PlymUni: Watch a short interview with @rivercottage Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall Honorary Doctorate of Business #PlymGrad : link
  • Making bread can be complicated and time consuming - Hugh’s carrot cornbread for #FoodTube is neither link
  • RT @TelegraphFood: 'Squirrel's long been on my menu', says Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall of @rivercottage link link
  • THIS LUNCHTIME! Hugh rustles up his deliciously moist and golden carrot cornbread, exclusively for #Food Tube! link
  • . @recycle_now We have a top tip, don't waste lemon rinds + other peelings - you can make a delicious jelly! link
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: Great to hear @BBCr4today promote #apprenticeships today. You can earn while you learn at River Cottage: link
  • NEW AND EXCLUSIVE! Hugh cooks morning tea slices from his new book, Light & Easy: link #FoodTube
  • COMING TODAY! Hugh makes scrumptious fruity bars, great with your morning cuppa, exclusively for #FoodTube link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Transform your early #autumn bounty into jams, jellies, fruit leathers, curds and cheeses with @thepamthejam and Liz. h…
  • RT @laurajknight: Still full from a fantastic pre-opening taster lunch @rivercottage Winchester! Lovely food in a beautiful setting.
  • RT @RCHQGardens: Some lovely big fat #sloes in Devon right now. We've got the gin at the ready! link
  • RT @WinCanteen: Here is a peek of our lovely new bar area, the perfect place for a cocktail after a hard days work, see you there! http://t…
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: We only have 5 tickets left for our Evening with Mary King MBE. Quick, don't miss out! #maryking #horsehour http://t.c…
  • Today @GillMeller is entertaining the visitors at the @edenproject, as part of their Harvest celebrations link
  • RT @RiverCottageHQ: Spotted a #mushroom and want to know whether it is edible or not? You need @johnmushroom's foraging course! http://t.co…
  • RT @mcsuk: #30species Help create a better future for our iconic marine creatures. Find out more link link
  • RT @freefromfairy: Trying a cracker recipe from Light and Easy the new book by Hugh FW. All recipes #wheat and #dairyfree! @rivercottage ht…
  • Thanks, John. All ideas, always welcomed! RT @jiholland111: @rivercottage #foodtube is such a great initiative!
  • WATCH! Here’s Hugh’s very quick and easy, dairy-free alternative to smoked mackerel pâté for #FoodTube! link
  • Coming up today, Hugh cooks a scrummy smoked mackerel tartare, exclusively for River Cottage #Foodube link
  • RT @RCHQGardens: This week we will mainly be picking apples, raspberries, tomatoes and courgettes. #grow #organic #seasonal
  • RT @KEOfilms: We're making short films about private healthcare. If you're interested in FREE consultation & treatment click here > http://…
  • @Kristen_Hodgson and what will be whipping up first? #lightandeasy
  • @DianneMower go on... :o) #lightandeasy
  • @HDDJones Let's ask @BloomsburyCooks... #lightandeasy
  • RT @RCHQGardens: We've just released more dates for our Get Growing course with head gardener, Will Livingstone. Grab a ticket now! http://…
  • RT @DianneMower: @rivercottage Loved it! My message is ALL about real food - simply made. Your book does that beautifully.
  • @DianneMower Ah, shucks. You've made our afternoon :o)
  • @DianneMower Hooray! So glad you like #lightandeasy
  • RT @DianneMower: @rivercottage Latest book may well become the most recommended to my clients. Deliciously healthy, easy wheat AND dairy fr…
  • RT @Kristen_Hodgson: @rivercottage I received the newest edition to my, oh so sweet collection of 'River Cottage' cookbooks today! http://t…
  • RT @BloomsburyCooks: We're at @afoodfestival this weekend with Hugh FW, @lambposts, @Claire_Clark, @marcusverberne and @sebemina - see you …
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Got a soggy bottom problem? We can help with our Savoury Pastry and Pies courses! link #GBBO
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Work for us! We're looking for a Sales & Marketing Assistant. Do you fit the bill?link
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00