Forum

Start new topic
page 1/2 go to

Canal Fishing?

Sable_Eledhwen
by Sable_Eledhwen
I've just been offered a place in an English Uni (!!!), and the campus is in a rural location, right next to a lovely looking canal. I've never fished a canal before even in Scotland, and understand that fishing in England is a bit different (with rod licences etc). What I'm wondering is whether anything caught in a canal is edible? Do all those narrow boats pollute the water? It would be nice to supplement my student diet with a bit of free fish! (so long as it doesn't kill me).

There is also a river nearby, but I have no idea if an additional permit would be required to fish that. I'll have to start making enquiries!
last edited on
Tedlet
by Tedlet
Firstly which Canal is it and which river. Crayfish inhabit many canals in the south now. Gudgeon are very good to eat from the canal, just fish in deeper wider strretches away from marinas. Perch and eels are also reasonably prolific in certain areas, also very good to eat. 8)
Sable_Eledhwen
by Sable_Eledhwen
It's the Lancaster Canal, and the River Brock. I don't suppose you can fly fish a canal? I have a fly rod, and a spinning rod. I don't really want to shell out for a ton of new equipment, and I draw the line at little alarms that tell you when you have a bite (what's the point of that!?).
spawnee
by spawnee
The River Lune is an excellent source of good fishing, and that runs through Lancaster and heads north up into the Cumbrian Fells
"If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia." Thomas Szasz
Oneforthepot
by Oneforthepot
Canals these days are pretty clean - just murky rather than polluted. Zander from canals is good to eat.
Sak of the north
by Sak of the north
I have fished the Lancaster canal many times and you are right certain parts of it are lovely. I would be very wary about eating anything out of a canal. Although the water may look clean it's the sludge on the bottom that's the problem especially in a canal that was as busy as the Lancaster was in its prime. I used to drive heavy plant and have had to cut through the odd canal and any sludge on the bottom is classed as hazardous waste. The lancaster is also heavy used by pleasure craft so the sludge is being continualy churned. Which Uni is it?
joker
by joker
It's the Lancaster Canal, and the River Brock. I don't suppose you can fly fish a canal? I have a fly rod, and a spinning rod. I don't really want to shell out for a ton of new equipment, and I draw the line at little alarms that tell you when you have a bite (what's the point of that!?).

Most fish can be caught on the Fly for Gugeon I would Say a Small weighted Buzzer as they are Bottom feeders , Zander and Pike some sort of Fry / Fish imitator Carp will take Most dry Flys as will roach and Rudd .

Personally I wouldnt eat anything from a Canal apart from possibly crayfish that have been put in fresh water for a couple of weeks
pikecatcher
by pikecatcher
Bear in mind that you can get away with keeping fish from a "free" stretch (although there will be size and bag limits - EA can advise). However, on a private or club stretch, you won't be allowed to take fish away.

If you want fish for the pot, I suggest sea or game (ie Trout) fishing.
toonfish
by toonfish
if you can catch a gudgeon on a fly I'd be mightily impressed!
leah
by leah
Congratulations! What are you going to Read?

Do a GOOGLE for a fishing club in that area. Or get a Licence from the Post Office in Lancaster which will tell you where you are able to fish.

Eels and pike make good eating, both need leaving ina bucket of floured water for several hours to clean them, fried or grilled they are a cheap meal. :wink:
every change is scarey even if we want it
joker
by joker
if you can catch a gudgeon on a fly I'd be mightily impressed!

Gudgeon Will take Nymph and Shrimp patern Flys Fished tight to the Bottom :wink:
page 1/2 go to
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00