Forum

Start new topic
page 1/2 go to

Edible Freshwater Fish (create a list please)

spudhead
by spudhead
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, so apologies if this sounds a bit simple.

I'm thinking about catching some freshwater fish to eat.
(I'm a beginner at that too)

I'm wondering, apart from the obvious fly fishing for trout, was is edible in our UK canals, pools and rivers.

I've read about Pike in another post. So thanks for that.

I'm interested in what I can catch locally without paying to go to one of the trout farm in my area. Free is always best

Feel free to create a list. Thanks
last edited on
quixote_1
by quixote_1
There are a lot of technically edible fish in lochs & rivers. I'm not a coarse fisherman, so I wouldn't have any idea as to whether it's acceptable to remove them though. Especially in the case of managed fisheries. However, to answer your question literally, the most commonly eaten fish are..................

Bream
Carp
Perch
Pike
Zander
Salmon
Trout
Grayling
Seatrout
Eels......................all edible (and quite delicious, from all accounts.)

Barbel
Tench
Chubb..................I've been told are completely inedible (not poisonous, just unpleasant)

Other species (roach, dace, rudd, etc) I can't help with, I'm afraid.................
spudhead
by spudhead
thanks for the quick reply quixote_1

I've just read somewhere that you need a licence for freshwater fishing.

Is that true for all freshwater fishing?
Even trapping eels in a stream ?
Celtic Mike
by Celtic Mike
You will need a rod license to fish on any fresh water and in addition you may well need another license to fish on rivers and certainly canals if there are established fishing rights. If you fish on a stream it may well be privately owned so again you would need a licence or permit or you would be poaching.

Its always best to ask first to make sure.
Moose
by Moose
Just to add, having a licence doesn't necessarily entitle you to remove fish from a body of water. Where I live, I have an Environment Agency licence and a licence to fish the waters belonging to the district's waters, but am only allowed to remove Pike up to 6lb, Zander, and what the association classes as game fish (brown trout, rainbow trout and salmon - they don't class grayling as a game fish).

Such a shame, as the perch and bream fishing here is good!
There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.
KEITH BROWN
by KEITH BROWN
I can recommend Pike and Perch from a clean water, for example at my back gate is the Bridgewater Canal, the water quality in the cut has improved over the last decade but still I would not eat any catch from it.
You have to seek clean bodies of water such as the Lochs in Scotland or the Lake District, I’ve eaten Perch as a lad but would not do so now purely for conservation reasons, i.e. let them grow bigger.
Pike I still eat, only up to eight pounds in weight, anything larger tends to be tougher.
doniv
by doniv
I think everyone should be Forced to eat a bream - just so we can get rid of this Myth that they're edible

You may not actually die but they are truly foul
'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind. - Shakespear - King Lear
quixote_1
by quixote_1
Hmmm, interesting! I was always under the impression that they were quite nice. Maybe I'm getting mixed up with sea bream?
Mart
by Mart
I have a recipe for a river fish stew that calls amongst other things for a few small tench. Anyone ever eaten a tench ?
Oneforthepot
by Oneforthepot
My fishmonger sells freshwater bream - and says they're vile - but they still sell.

Gudgeon are really good prepared like sardines.

Zander are as close to cod as you'll find unless you happen upon burbot ( now extinct in this country ).

Crucian carp are ok - bony but the bones are thick and solid - easy to pick out, what I usualy end up with is bizzarre crucian/goldfish hybrids.

Orfe/ide are supposed to be very good.

I've got a freshwater fish book ( long out of print ) which reviews the eating qualities of the fish. Did you know sticklebacks used to be collected and rendered for oil?
fungi2bwith
by fungi2bwith
I have eaten most freshwater fish (but not chub, barbel, or tench) and think they are all worthwhile. However, they are very variable and this is probably due to water quality. I have seen lots of advice on eating only those from flowing water and this is good advice but the water quality isn't always obvious and varies throughout the year. Therefore I suggest you should not give up on a species before trying several different venues (and cooking methods).

For example I have eaten lots of freshwater eel but by far the best were a couple I caught from Lake Windemere. Probably the best tasting course fish in my opinion is Perch.

One word of warning there has been a lot of reports in the Angling press on Eastern Europeans taking lots of fish for the table and this has led to a number of over reactions from other fisherman. So I suggest only a few fish are taken and it is done discreetly (and within the local by-laws).
page 1/2 go to
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
  • Are you a #RisingStar? Our friends @edenproject want to hear from you. Our @GillMeller will be judging! link
  • RT @westcombecheese: Really excited to do a Q&A night tonight on Facebook with @rivercottage 7:00pm
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Our course tutor @tomthecheese will be answering your cheese making questions at 7pm tonight on our facebook page http://t.…
  • RT @HoratiosGarden: Horatio's Garden will be featured on Gardeners' World with @clevewest on Fri 5th Sept, 9.30pm on BBC2. Don't miss it! h…
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: @rivercottage Incredibly proud to have you as part of the family! x
  • Loved every minute x MT @JamiesFoodTube: @rivercottage Thank you for making #FoodTube what it is! x link
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: 1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS!!!! :D Thank you to each & every one of you! x Big BIG #LOVE! link Please RT ht…
  • One million subscribers to @JamiesFoodTube and counting. We’re very proud to be a part of that!
  • Congratulations to our five #RisingStar finalists: Lily, Chloe, Cameron, Jamie and Sophie. See you at the final! link
  • FOODTUBE: time for a retro Hugh clip now, as he as he battles it out for an elusive gold @TheMelplashShow link
  • Want to take Hugh out of his comfort zone?! Book him to do anything you want here link for @StarService #StandUpToCancer
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Learn how to use some lesser-used meat cuts on our Nose-to-tail course, where nothing is wasted! link #ze…
  • @adamtyrer Whoops, sorry!
  • RT @jamieoliver: Lovely people, we're nearly at 1 million subs on @jamiesfoodtube! Let's cross the line with this tweet! SUBSCRIBE http://t…
  • RT @SoilAssociation: It's #OrganicSeptember! We're encouraging people to make #smallchanges and support #organic - stay tuned for blogs, ev…
  • You don’t need qualifications to become one of our #apprentices. Last places remaining link @RCChefsSchool
  • “I didn’t think anyone would employ me, and now I’m being offered two jobs” #apprenticeships link @RCChefsSchool
  • Our young chef hopefuls have been interviewed and we now have our five lucky finalists for #RisingStar 2014! WATCH: link
  • RT @BloomsburyCooks: You'll be able to take a 1st look at recipes from @rivercottage #LightandEasy in tomorrow's @thetimes - GET. EXCITED. …
  • RT @CornwallCollege: Looking forward to seeing entries for #EdenRisingStar chef competition! @edenproject @rivercottage Entry details here …
  • RT @edenproject: Interested in a chef apprenticeship with us? Watch this video: link #EdenRisingStar @rivercottage @Cornw
  • Did you know you can get paid to train at our @RCChefsSchool? Last places remaining: link link
  • RT @johnmushroom: @thepamthejam @rivercottage Quite right. When I rule the world, hedgerow-cutting dates will be taken under my personal co…
  • @thepamthejam @johnmushroom King John, gosh - now there's a thought!
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Beautiful day for a #wedding, congratulations Vicky & Paul! link
  • Join us next week for the highly anticipated launch of Hugh's book, River Cottage #lightandeasy. Last tickets left! link
  • RT @GSeabright: Enter #EdenRisingStar competition for chef apprenticeships with @edenproject @rivercottage @CornwallCollege https://t.co/e1…
  • @chellemars Yes our @GelfAlderson made it! The recipe isn't online but you can learn to make it on our course! :o) link
  • . @BBCRadio2 @achrisevans absolutely, we are ready! #TFIPieDay link
  • @RachaelWedd Enjoy! We can't take all the credit though, our @johnmushroom is the brains behind that one :o) @BloomsburyCooks
  • Time for another classic #Hugh recipe - cooled lettuce and radish soup: link @JamiesFoodTube link
  • RT @edenproject: Aged 16-24 and interested in a chef apprenticeship at Eden? Enter our #EdenRisingStar competition! Find out how http://t.c…
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: **TONIGHT** #Apprenticeship open evening here at @rivercottage HQ. 6.30pm - 8.30pm. Please share! link
  • RT @crowdfunderuk: Great catch up with @LeedsBreadCoop 1 year since their #crowdfunder campaign - did you pledge? link ht…
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Just announced, @FBPocketOrch will be joining us for Hugh's Late Summer Party! Grab one of the last tickets now: http://t.c…
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: Start your morning right, with some classic @rivercottage. link
  • RT @crowdfunderuk: Guest blog: It’s been an exciting year for @SuttonFarm since their #crowdfunder campaign! link http://…
  • Our Hugh's a master in the kitchen, but he's #AtYourService for #StandUpToCancer. Book him to do anything you want! link
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Last places left for our One Day Cookery Course this Fri + Sun, call the team now for a late deal: 01297 630314: http://t.c…
  • @lucysiegle Absolutely, just follow us back and we'll send you a DM. Enjoy the pizza!
  • @lucysiegle Oh no! So sorry to hear that. Can you DM us more details so we can address the problem?
  • @BloomsburyCooks @PaulHollywood looks absolutely delicious!
  • VOTE: Support your favourite #RisingStar budding chef with just one click: link link
  • RT @starservice: A rustic @rivercottage meal from Hugh would be divine. But wouldn't it be SO much better if he read your nan a book? http:…
  • Get your hands on a signed copy of Hugh's new book and meet the man himself at our Late Summer Party. Book here: link
  • Chicken with lentils, rosemary + carrot cornbread. Sound good? It's on the menu at Hugh's book launch. Book now: link
  • St Clements polenta cake with blueberries. Salivating? Come and try it at Hugh's book launch on 4 Sept. Book here: link
  • RT @debsthelawyer: Fab day this week at @rivercottage HQ making bread and building a clay oven! link
  • Come along to Hugh's Late Summer Party on 4 Sept - meet Hugh & get his new book signed: link
  • Tweet your support for your favourite Rising Star hopeful and we’ll RT the lot! Get voting, folks! link
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00