Forum

Start new topic
page 1/2 go to

Preparing Signal Crayfish

jeff
by jeff
Moving on from the catching of Signal Crays, I have heard people mention that you should not eat them for the 48hours after you catch them, can anyone add any weight to this story? Apparently they taste better if they haven't fed for 2 days?

I am due out on a conservation trip with my brother along with some chaps from the Lea Valley regional park to look for Viviparous Lizards in May and wanted to catch a few Crays for lunch but hearing this makes me wonder if a rethink is due...???
Must get more foodie things done!
last edited on
Oneforthepot
by Oneforthepot
I cook mine straight off - I get back from fishing and get the pan boiling. The crayfish go straight in in batches of ten for four minutes. Once cool enough to handle I start by removing the claws, then the head. Next to come off is the tail um fluke or whatever it's called.

Next remove the meat from the tail and - this is the important bit, remove the intestine - you can slit along the back or pull off the sort of flap of flesh that covers it. The intestine is just a blackish tube, if you tear it simply rinse of the junk under the tap.

Now head to the claws, snap off the smaller section by bending it back, smack the main body of the claw with a mallet, stone, whatever, remove the meat and remove the shard of hard stuff that resides in the middle.

Takes me about 3 hours to do a days fishing worth.

The only benefit of starving them for 48h is you don't have to remove the intestine. I regularly catch them and grill them on the river bank with a little charcoal brazier I've made for the purpose. For grilling I spike them, remove the head etc etc and just cook the tail with the shell on. Claws get dropped onto the charcoal untiul steam comes out of the top.

Incidentaly spiking doesn't seem to kill them, slicing a severed crayfish head in half doesn't even have much effect.

I've no idea if the coral is edible, I've always assumed not
Oneforthepot
jeff
by jeff
Cheers Geez,

Did wonder if it was just a digestion thing to starve them first... THe digestion track is the same as removing it from a prawn from the sounds of it so that's not a problem... I want to have a boil up on the bank on the day on my little gas stove, looking forward to it!!!
dougal
by dougal
Jeff, is that the Lea Valley, East London? Personally, I wouldn't be brave enough to eat anything out of there... I'm thinking "industrial", "pollution", "heavy metals", etc
I'd guess that in polluted waters, their meat would accumulate the nasties, (nevermind whats in the digestive tract), especially if the crays are eating other things that have themselves accumulated pollutants. In Minemata (sp?), Japan, IIRC the mercury was first accumulated in mussels, which were eaten by something, which was then eaten by Tuna, which the people made the mistake of eating...
And it seems these ruddy crays will eat anything and everything thats convenient...
westbay
by westbay
Caught hundreds of crays last year, but after all the messing around, cooking cleaning, de-veining etc I found them a bit lacking in the old taste department. I bit like hoping for lobster and getting soggy blotting-paper.
jeff
by jeff
Dougal,

Same River Lea but much futher up into Hertfordshire where it is a great deal cleaner!!!

Westbay,

I am suprized that you say this about their flavour, I have mainly had glowing reports regarding their taste... How did you cook them? I know that you can easily over-cook small crustatians such as Longestean (spelling?) etc and their flavour can quickly deteriate...

Cheers,
Jeff
Behemoth
by Behemoth
Browsing through cable last night I stopped on 'Screaming Reels' where they were catching lbs and lbs of crayfish in the Serpentine where they are a pest. they took them up to Billinsgate and sold them. They probably belong to the Queen though so I wouldn't...
Erikht
by Erikht
The coral is not only edible, it's the best part of any crustatians. I don't think crayfish build up toxins the same way as mollusks.
Oneforthepot
by Oneforthepot
I've always found the flavour of them great , it is milder than their marine counterparts, probably due to the lesser salt content but I'll happily eat them plain boiled or curried or anything.

I'll give the coral a try this season, I'm not fond of it as is ( in fact I hate scallop corals ) but it would go nicely in a batch of potted crayfish.

Oneforthepot
nordicknight
by nordicknight
And, fer gods sake, the only thing to go into the water with the crayfish is salt, white pepper and tons n tons of fresh dill..

jeff
by jeff
Prefer good old fashioned curly Parsley myself
page 1/2 go to
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
  • Tonight's the night, if you want to enter our Rising Star competition. Closes tomorrow! link link
  • WATCH! Only 24 hours to find 10 mins to enter Rising Star - it turned Sam’s life upside-down: link link
  • Only 24 hours to go to enter this year’s Rising Star and show us what you can do! RT, and spread the word! link
  • Think like @Biff_Stancombe you could be our new Rising Star? You’ve got a day to get your video over to us! link
  • Another top Rising Star entry, this time by Biff! Watch her Drunken White Rabbit recipe here: link link
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: Whatever #GCSEresults you receive, we're here for you.Our award-winning #apprenticeship scheme has a few places left! ht…
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: Amazing Rising Star entry from @Biff_Stancombe! Looks incredible. Watch and upload your own: link
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: More #classic @rivercottage to get you through the day. Hugh whips up a seafood salsa for the crowds of @Bestival http:…
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: If you love baking & #gbbo, come & learn the ropes at our Chefs' School at @rivercottage. Last apprenticeship places htt…
  • RT @WinCanteen: Drop in your CV at our recruitment day, today till 5pm @WinchesterCity Guildhall. Come and complete our team! link
  • RT @heatherkmak: as a self-professed @rivercottage groupie, really excited for this next cookbook! link @BloomsburyCooks
  • Thinking of entering #RisingStar? You have until Friday to enter! Check out the competitors so far here: link
  • RT @RCChefsSchool: Come and say hello! We're in @Princesshay #exeter bringing @rivercottage to the streets!
  • . @johnmushroom But we have no such modesty. The third is John's excellent Mushrooms Handbook @BloomsburyBooks link
  • @johnmushroom Living the dream! x
  • @johnmushroom You are on fire this morning with all these top twitter tips! #mushrooming
  • RT @johnmushroom: Bonus mushrooming tip: All mushrooms are magic, but some are more magic than others.
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Check out the fab #mushroom #foraging tips on @johnmushroom's account today. Need further help? Come on our course! http://…
  • RT @johnmushroom: Mushrooming tips 2: Obvious, but ignoring it has been the downfall of many: Only ever eat something if you are 100% sure …
  • @johnmushroom Have you taken any snaps of the early appearances? #mushroomfun
  • RT @johnmushroom: Mushrooms now appearing so a few tips: 1. Avoid speculatively picking a large quantity of unknown fungus. It may be rare.…
  • WATCH! Think you could impress Hugh and the gang? Enter our #RisingStar before Friday's cut-off link
  • Seen our latest Rising Star entries? It's not too late to get one in if you're up to the challenge! https://t.co/HCvuTL4PHV
  • @KloEllaDeVille Nice one, Chloe! #RisingStar
  • RT @KloEllaDeVille: Ok so I've entered the @rivercottage Rising star 2014 competition! Check it out here https://t.co/uETkIqEt0Z
  • And another entry for our #RisingStar, this time from Sophie. The competition is really hotting up! link
  • Think you could impress Hugh and the gang? Enter our #RisingStar comp now, you have until Friday! link
  • Will Chloe's scrummy wild plum semifreddo take her all the way to the #RisingStar final? link
  • RT @JamiesFoodTube: Bumper harvest this year? Time for some Classic @rivercottage to get the juices flowing. link http:/…
  • RT @RCHQEvents: Last places on our One Day Cookery Course this Thurs and Fri, call the team now for an amazing late deal 01297 630314 http:…
  • @trishaocf Wow, nicely done! This is definitely a question for our @johnmushroom...
  • Fruity, fabulous + free! Enjoy blackberries with this Bramble Jelly recipe: link @JamiesFoodTube link
  • RT @the_tank: Inspiring two days @rivercottage with @ChrispOnions. Reinvigorated my passion for ethical cooking. Well organised by @RCHQEve
  • RT @RCHQEvents: WIN: Last chance to enter our competition to win a lovely break, thanks to @CornwallVW - don't miss! link
  • Think you could do better than Jamie? You have until Friday to knock together a video for #RisingStar MORE: link
  • Jamie Glover is our latest Rising Star hopeful, check out his great video entry here: https://t.co/0K5gnsHL1V
  • RT @Seachangeagency: we have an exciting new designer job vacancy in our NEW studio in Bridport Dorset link link
  • One for the future! “@mumlovestojam: @rivercottage One of my sons @JammyBakers would love this opportunity, but he is only 10 at the mo!!”
  • So the competition is really hotting up! Are you, or is someone you know our new Rising Star? It changed Sam's life! link
  • There's plenty of time left this weekend to knock together a Rising Star entry of your own! Are you our new star? link
  • Good stuff Ben Cronin, our latest Rising Star hopeful. Watch his entry and let us know what you think! link
  • RT @RCHQEvents: @rivercottage #EarlyBird returns with 20% off select #courses & #dining experiences Nov-Feb.Book now: link
  • RT @rchqevents: Ever wondered how fishermen enjoy a bumper catch from the shoreline?Join us+ @Fishing_Tails: link #fishing
  • RT @RCHQEvents: #Foraging & #Fungus based Q's answered by @johnmushroom at our #SummerDining events on 20 & 21 August link
  • Think you could better our new entries? This weekend is the ideal time to find 10 minutes to show us what you can do! link
  • Meanwhile 21-year-old Gregory McCaig rustles up a fishy treat for Rising Star - what do you think? link
  • NEW RISING STAR ENTRY KLAXON! Watch hopeful Alex Dome find inspiration from an elderberry tree link
  • RT @YorkieAH: Probably the best title to an email I have ever received! Lol @rivercottage #yummy link
  • RT @GelfAlderson: Black pudding started for tomorrow @RCHQEvents @rivercottage link
  • RT @RCHQEvents:smoked mackerel tartar on rye&ale crispbreads..salivating?Come to Hugh's book launch on 4/9 to sample! link
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00