Forum

Start new topic

Half price wool processing

woollyval
by woollyval
Due to savings made by the installation of our solar panels we are now able to offer half price wool processing!!!!

For washing and drying......£10 per kg

Washing, drying and carding £15 per kg

Washing drying carding and felting £20 per kg

This is all based on weight of wool returned to you.....the average large fleece weighs 2-3kg and you will get a loss of about a third or so in weight after washing.....so if it weighs 3kg when you send it in we only charge you for a bit less than 2kg depending on the weight!......and price includes return delivery up to 20kg......and only a little bit more if over 20kg

We can also dye your wool by arrangement or blend it with other wools or alpaca.....POA

Once processed your wool can be spun if not felted.....and is worth about £60 per kg

Let me know if you would like to book in.....we are filling up fast!
Find out about the woollyshepherd on her blog http://smallholdinginsomerset.blogspot.com Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009
last edited on
woolandfeathers
by woolandfeathers
How thick does the felt finish up as I had some made once before by someone else and it was quite thick, so was good for a bag for example but not great for making smaller things?
Also what size sheets of felt do you make?
www.woolandfeathers.co.uk
khajou
by khajou
Some of my sheep have been felting naturally this shearing
Fleece free to a good home!
woollyval
by woollyval
The felt can be as thick as you want it woolandfeathers! A lot depends on the breed of sheep as to how it felts. For example Merino felts very well to a dense mass that can be thick or thin whereas Suffolk is a bit more bouncy in its staple and does not make such dense felt! What is your intended use?

We make pieces of felt 3ft x 4ft and can join them down the 4fy sides to make larger pieces.
Find out about the woollyshepherd on her blog http://smallholdinginsomerset.blogspot.com Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009
woolandfeathers
by woolandfeathers
Hi woollyshepherd, I have now had my North Ronaldsays sheared and would like to send one fleece to you to make into felt to see how it turns out.

Have you felted North Ronaldsay wool before? I had one done last year by someone else and when it came back it was about 6-8mm thick and had not felted very well. It peeled apart in layers and so I was a bit disappointed as I couldn't really use it for anything! I wanted to cut it into pieces and sew back together to make a bag and maybe cushion etc.

Maybe its the rare breed wool that is not very good for felting? I have knitted using it before and then machine felted it and that has worked ok but I haven't ever tried hand felting with it before? Advice on whether you think it is suitable before sending it to you etc as you will have experience in lots of breeds I would imagine?

thanks
woollyval
by woollyval
Hi Woolandfeathers

North Ron felts very very well! I have a lot of it and its fantastic!
All fine wools felt well if there is not too much kemp hair which does not felt well!

Rare breed vary and for example Wensleydale and other lustre longwools that are rare breed produce wonderful felt, Down breeds shuch as the Dorset, also a rare breed produce a bouncier felt that is superb for quilting and primitive breeds such as North Ron, Shetland, Manx, etc with very fine fleeces produce very close felt, most suited to cutting out slippers, bags etc.

I can only think the person who did your felt last year either did not wash all the grease out or did not felt for long enough as it should not come apart

Please send a fleece in (or 2 if they are very small) and I will make you a lovely bit!
woolandfeathers
by woolandfeathers
Thanks Woollyshepherd, please pm me address of where I should send my fleece.
Thanks very much!
JaneE
by JaneE
My sheep were shorn today and I collected the bits up afterwards. Would these felt? Would they just tuen grey? Or would they felt into a mosaic of colours?
Woolly Shepherd - I emailed you questions but wasn't 100% if it worked. If I had some of my wool felted and some spun into knitting wool, how would you manage it? Would I ask Cold Harbour mill to spin it? I have 17 fleeces from this year and about 12/13 from last year, so I've got my 20kgs now I think. How would I keep colours separate? Can I? Lots of advice needed if possible. Jane E
To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here
@rivercottage
Login or Sign-up

Login & Sign-up

Forgotten your password? Retrieve it here
Or connect via Facebook
Connect with Facebook
Join River Cottage
Close
Shopping basket: 0 items £0.00