Young Chef Apprenticeship Scheme - apply now!
This unique learning and employment experience is for 16-19 year old, unemployed school leavers in our local area.
Our Young Chef Apprenticeship Scheme provides each successful applicant with 12 months employment at a River Cottage-approved local restaurant or hotel. These businesses will be the place of work for all of our young chefs.
The application window for our June intake of apprentices has now closed. We are currently taking applications for our September intake, with the closing date of Monday, 20 May.
As an apprentice, whilst you are working, you will be visited by a River Cottage tutor, who will complete a range of training sessions and assessment activities.
In addition, you will attend 24 training days at River Cottage HQ.
These training days are mainly focused around the building of culinary skills but also include support in numeracy, communication and preparation for employment.
This once in a lifetime opportunity enables you to get qualified in professional cookery and have a detailed understanding of food sustainability, seasonality and provenance.
The great news is that you will get all of this completely free! At the end of the apprenticeship River Cottage and the partner businesses may offer you a full-time position, however this is not guaranteed and each successful apprentice will have to apply for the role as part of a normal recruitment process.
When employment with River Cottage or partner businesses is not possible, our education team will work with you to find a suitable role in the local area.
What each successful applicant will receive:
• 30 hours paid work at a local restaurant or hotel
• 24 days training at River Cottage HQ
• An aligned River Cottage tutor and assessor
• On completion, the Diploma in Professional Cookery Level 2
Each applicant must satisfy the following criteria:
• Be between the ages of 16-19
• Dedicated to pursue a career as a chef
• Have the appetite and desire to see the programme through, from start to finish
• Not in any other form of education
• Can work a minimum of 30 hours a week in the business you are placed
• Attend 24 training days at River Cottage HQ, Park Farm
• Complete monthly coursework to the best of your ability and on time
• Understand that you need a flexible approach to work, you will be required to work some weekends and evenings