Taken from the Channel 4 series, River Cottage to the Core.Rate this recipe:
- 15 minutes
- 5 minutes
- 1kg coarsely minced free-range or organic pork shoulder
- 500g coarsely minced free-range or organic pork belly
- 2-3 firm eating apples, peeled, cored and diced
- Freshly ground Black pepper
- Freshly ground White pepper (if you have some)
- 20 sage leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp grated/ground nutmeg or mace
- 1 ½ heaped tsp salt
- 35-50g fine dried breadcrumbs (optional)
- A little oil for frying
Put all the minced pork in a large bowl. Add the apple, lots of pepper, sage, nutmeg/mace, salt and breadcrumbs (Start with 35g) if you are using them (a small amount is good for the texture of the patties), and stir well with the wooden spoon until everything is evenly distributed.
Before you start shaping your patties, make a mini patty of a couple of teaspoons of the mix and fry it for a couple of minutes on each side until cooked through.
Taste it for seasoning and to test the texture. Adjust as necessary, adding the remaining breadcrumbs if needed.
Shape the mixture into medium sized patties (you should get about 12 out of the mixture) of an even thickness.
Place on a tray and into the fridge to firm up a little.
Once ready to cook heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
Fry the patties fairly gently, turning them once of twice so that they brown all over without burning.
They should cook gently for about 3-4 minutes on each side depending on their thickness; cut one open to make sure they are cooked all the way through.
Alternatively cook over the medium heated area of a BBQ.
If cooking on a bbq then brush with a little oil on either side before cooking.
You've seen us on TV, now why not pay us a visit? River Cottage HQ offers unique cookery courses, dining experiences and bespoke events.
There are no comments available
- Apple Compote By: Every Day
- Apple snow By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Student Pork Poppers By: A16AdamWalker
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Apple and Cheese Muffins By: Snow Cloud
- Sam Rom's bacon chop, fennel and apple By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's apples, mint and lime By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Boudin Noir By: River Cottage Cookbook
- Slow cooked chinese pork By: Kate35
- Hugh's lobster, cucumber and apple By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- BARBECUED GLAZED SPARE RIBS By: River Cottage Meat
- Hugh's apple, squash and chilli By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Slow Cook Malay Spiced Pork By: Sass
- Apple and dried fruit tart By: rhonda lillian
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Home Cured Bacon By: Mertyns
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Sophie Wright's pear, pork and celeriac By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Ovenbaked cod with apricots, bacon and apple By: kokkekniven
- Hot-smoked pork tenderloin By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Sticky Glazed Pork With Swiss Chard and Braised Leeks By: SFG
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Spiced Apple Pie Cake By: RJDTYE
- Roast thick end of pork belly with coriander & fennel crackling By: One Day at River Cottage
- Mark and Steve’s Apple Mojito. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Gill's Chinese Ribs By: gillM
- Roast Pork Stuffed with Gooseberries and Black Pudding By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Apple and Walnut Crumble By: Every Day
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- The best BBQ marinate ever!! By: Karl Mac
- Rosehip and apple sorbet By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Mulberry pork stew By: aleksander
- Barbecued grey mullet By: River Cottage summers here
- Raisin Oat Bannocks By: notjustapples
- Extra Special Blackberry Jam By: somersetchef
- Pickled Pigs Feet By: Haddy
- Marinated lamb kebabs By: Eatmania
- Pumpkin and apple meringue pie By: Winter's on the way
- Oysters with apple and shallot vinegar By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- LOIN OF PORK on a bed of BUBBLE & SQUEAK with APPLE & PLUM SAUCES By: astridges
- Chorizo By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Molasses Apple Tart with Rye Crust By: notjustapples
- Best ribs, this side of the Atlantic! By: naylorj1