The chargrilled, smokey flavour really adds to the dish. So much more than just the sum of its parts, this is a cracking summer starter!
I love cooked lettuce – braised in stock, wilted into a risotto, puréed in soups or, as here, subjected to the fierce heat of the grill. The lettuce softens deliciously, but forms a crisp, charred, pleasantly bitter outer surface. Combined with spring onions and some salty cheese, this makes a wonderful summer starter. If you don’t want to use a barbecue, you can achieve very similar results with a ridged griddle pan indoors – just be sure to get it good and hot.Rate this recipe:
- 5 mins
- 2 mins
- 4 Little Gem lettuce hearts, halved
- 3–4 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
- 12 spring onions, trimmed
- 60–80g Ticklemore cheese, or other fairly hard, crumbly goat’s cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive or more rapeseed oil, to finish
When your barbecue is ready for cooking, brush the cut side of
the lettuces with a little of the oil and place on the hot grill. After
a minute or so, turn them over. Put the spring onions, also brushed
with oil, on to the barbecue alongside the lettuce. When both are
nicely charred and slightly softened, divide them between 4 plates
and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
Use a vegetable peeler to shave over the goat’s cheese – or, if it’s
a very crumbly type, crumble it. Trickle over a little oil and serve.
- Nasi Goreng By: bodhibelly
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Roast Potato Gnocchi By: River Cottage summers here
- Chunky apple and marmalade cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Spring onion galette By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Spiced chicken with dates By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Baked butternut squash, with red onion and goat's cheese By: hoperobertson41
- Goats cheese and caramelized beetroot tart By: Constanze
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Pesto By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Green gooseberry jam with elderflower By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Seared squid By: River Cottage Fish
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Creole Jambalaya By: HedgerowHoney
- Cabbage and Kohlrabi By: Steff_i
- Milk Chocolate and Almond Fudge By: hotchocolates
- Blueberry Muffins By: River Cottage Fruit Handbook
- Beef Burgers By: River Cottage Meat
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Deep-fried courgette flowers By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- BARBECUED GLAZED SPARE RIBS By: River Cottage Meat
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Swedish White Chocolate Cake By: hotchocolates
- PEA AND LETTUCE TART By: HughFW
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- New Potato, Halloumi and Tomato Kebab By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- fresh beety goat salad By: andy1234
- Summer Couscous with Monkey puzzle nuts By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh and Oscar's goat's cheese By: River Cottage summers here
- Tim's hot-smoked strawberry and goat's curd crostini By: River Cottage summers here
- sauted chicken with beetroot jelly By: heidi1966
- Chillies stuffed with beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Cheese Spread By: happycanuck
- Pine-smoked mussels By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Upside-down onion tart By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!