The chargrilled, smokey flavour really adds to the dish. So much more than just the sum of its parts, this is a cracking summer starter!
I love cooked lettuce – braised in stock, wilted into a risotto, puréed in soups or, as here, subjected to the fierce heat of the grill. The lettuce softens deliciously, but forms a crisp, charred, pleasantly bitter outer surface. Combined with spring onions and some salty cheese, this makes a wonderful summer starter. If you don’t want to use a barbecue, you can achieve very similar results with a ridged griddle pan indoors – just be sure to get it good and hot.Rate this recipe:
- 5 mins
- 2 mins
- 4 Little Gem lettuce hearts, halved
- 3–4 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
- 12 spring onions, trimmed
- 60–80g Ticklemore cheese, or other fairly hard, crumbly goat’s cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive or more rapeseed oil, to finish
When your barbecue is ready for cooking, brush the cut side of
the lettuces with a little of the oil and place on the hot grill. After
a minute or so, turn them over. Put the spring onions, also brushed
with oil, on to the barbecue alongside the lettuce. When both are
nicely charred and slightly softened, divide them between 4 plates
and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
Use a vegetable peeler to shave over the goat’s cheese – or, if it’s
a very crumbly type, crumble it. Trickle over a little oil and serve.
- Nasi Goreng By: bodhibelly
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Spring onion galette By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Dry-Cured Streaky Bacon By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- fresh beety goat salad By: andy1234
- Swedish White Chocolate Cake By: hotchocolates
- Creole Jambalaya By: HedgerowHoney
- Seared squid By: River Cottage Fish
- Chillies stuffed with beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Upside-down onion tart By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- PEA AND LETTUCE TART By: HughFW
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Pesto By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- sauted chicken with beetroot jelly By: heidi1966
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Green gooseberry jam with elderflower By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Blueberry Muffins By: River Cottage Fruit Handbook
- Cabbage and Kohlrabi By: Steff_i
- Baked butternut squash, with red onion and goat's cheese By: hoperobertson41
- Chunky apple and marmalade cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Cheese Spread By: happycanuck
- Goats cheese and caramelized beetroot tart By: Constanze
- Roast Potato Gnocchi By: River Cottage summers here
- Summer Couscous with Monkey puzzle nuts By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Mushroom and Lentil Pie By: TheGourmetVegan
- Tim's hot-smoked strawberry and goat's curd crostini By: River Cottage summers here
- Milk Chocolate and Almond Fudge By: hotchocolates
- New Potato, Halloumi and Tomato Kebab By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Spiced chicken with dates By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh and Oscar's goat's cheese By: River Cottage summers here
- Beef Burgers By: River Cottage Meat
- BARBECUED GLAZED SPARE RIBS By: River Cottage Meat
- Pine-smoked mussels By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Deep-fried courgette flowers By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook