I love cooked lettuce – braised in stock, wilted into a risotto, puréed in soups or, as here, subjected to the fierce heat of the grill. The lettuce softens deliciously, but forms a crisp, charred, pleasantly bitter outer surface. Combined with spring onions and some salty cheese, this makes a wonderful summer starter. If you don’t want to use a barbecue, you can achieve very similar results with a ridged griddle pan indoors – just be sure to get it good and hot.Rate this recipe:
- 5 mins
- 2 mins
- 4 Little Gem lettuce hearts, halved
- 3–4 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
- 12 spring onions, trimmed
- 60–80g Ticklemore cheese, or other fairly hard, crumbly goat’s cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive or more rapeseed oil, to finish
When your barbecue is ready for cooking, brush the cut side of
the lettuces with a little of the oil and place on the hot grill. After
a minute or so, turn them over. Put the spring onions, also brushed
with oil, on to the barbecue alongside the lettuce. When both are
nicely charred and slightly softened, divide them between 4 plates
and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
Use a vegetable peeler to shave over the goat’s cheese – or, if it’s
a very crumbly type, crumble it. Trickle over a little oil and serve.
There are no comments available
- Cheese Spread By: happycanuck
- Cabbage and Kohlrabi By: Steff_i
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- PEA AND LETTUCE TART By: HughFW
- Summer Couscous with Monkey puzzle nuts By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- New Potato, Halloumi and Tomato Kebab By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Swedish White Chocolate Cake By: hotchocolates
- fresh beety goat salad By: andy1234
- Blueberry Muffins By: River Cottage Fruit Handbook
- Seared squid By: River Cottage Fish
- Roast Potato Gnocchi By: River Cottage summers here
- Baked butternut squash, with red onion and goat's cheese By: hoperobertson41
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Tim's hot-smoked strawberry and goat's curd crostini By: River Cottage summers here
- Deep-fried courgette flowers By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Creole Jambalaya By: HedgerowHoney
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- BARBECUED GLAZED SPARE RIBS By: River Cottage Meat
- Pesto By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Hugh and Oscar's goat's cheese By: River Cottage summers here
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Chillies stuffed with beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Beef Burgers By: River Cottage Meat
- Milk Chocolate and Almond Fudge By: hotchocolates
- Upside-down onion tart By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- sauted chicken with beetroot jelly By: heidi1966
- Nasi Goreng By: bodhibelly