Thank you for the original recipe which I have adapted. I have ulcerative colitis and try to follow the specific carohydrate diet as much as possible as this helps keeps the flare ups at bay and appears to be nutritional. I changed the pastry for a shredded carrott, butternut squash, courgete and parsnip mixed with a little butter and almond flour, salt and pepper to taste. For the custard I replaced the cream and milk with an advocado and a little water and used manchego cheese. I have tried both the beetroot topping and the samphire variation they were deliciouse very nutritional, filling and very meat free .
You may have seen the variation of this recipe on the River Cottage Veg TV show, it is taken from Hugh's latest book River Cottage Every Day Veg! Enjoy. xRate this recipe:
- 30 mins
- 35 mins
- FOR THE PASTRY
- 250g plain flour
- A pinch of sea salt
- 125g chilled unsalted butter,
- cut into small cubes
- About 75ml cold milk
- FOR THE FILLING
- Tops from a bunch of beetroot or a bunch of ruby or rainbow chard (about 300g in all)
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- A handful of thyme sprigs, leaves only, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100g ricotta, finely crumbled
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 extra egg yolks
- 200ml double cream
- 200ml whole milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
Make the pastry, rest, then use to line a 25cm tart tin and bake blind.
To make the filling, chop the stalks from the beet tops or chard and
shred the leaves.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion with the thyme and sweat gently for about 10 minutes, until softened.
Add the garlic and chopped beet or chard stalks. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, until the stalks are tender.
Add the shredded leaves and cook for another 5 minutes or so until the leaves have wilted right down. Season well with salt and pepper.
Spread the leafy mixture in the tart case. Scatter the crumbled ricotta
over the top.
Lightly beat the eggs, egg yolks, cream and milk together in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Carefully pour this mixture over the tart filling.
Bake the tart at 180C/Gas Mark 4 for about 35 minutes until golden.
Serve warm or cold.
Samphire and spinach tart
Salty, succulent marsh samphire, which is at its best in June and July,
makes an unusual and delicious alternative filling for this tart – it’s
especially good combined with fresh spinach.
Wilt down about 250g spinach, drain well and squeeze out all water, then chop coarsely.
Thoroughly wash about 150g marsh samphire and remove any woody
ends. Cook the onion as above, adding the thyme and garlic, and
seasoning with pepper but no salt as the samphire is already salty.
Distribute the onion, chopped spinach and samphire around the tart
case, then scatter over the ricotta. Add the custard and bake as above.
- Ricotta and Basil stuffed Courgette Flowers in tempura batter By: Fylus
- Caledonian Forest Tart By: riquisimo
- layered courgette, ricotta and fairyring champignion By: samwo
- Jerusalem Artichoke tart By: Passionate Foodie
- Apple and dried fruit tart By: rhonda lillian
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Laura Coxeter’s Raw Chocolate Ganache Tart. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Sophie's apple, ricotta and cinnamon By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Egg & Spinach Curry By: Every Day
- Lavender cream and Tyberry tart By: Mrs B
- Cherry tart By: HughFW
- Risotto with spinach By: Eatmania
- Peach and Lavender Tart By: splitpin
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Chard & new potato curry By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- PEA AND LETTUCE TART By: HughFW
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Leek & Dorset Blue Vinny Tart By: Every Day
- Saffron and Mussel Sauce By: somersetchef
- Hugh's mushrooms, spinach and blue cheese By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Prune Tart By: Globi
- Smoked Widgeon & Chard Soup By: caregrow
- Lemon Tart By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Blueberry galette By: HughFW
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Hugh's hazelnuts, ricotta, honeycomb By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's squash, ricotta and ham By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- fresh beety goat salad By: andy1234
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Raspberry tarts By: HughFW
- Manchester Tart By: yarnsbaby
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Tourte de blettes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- BABY LEEK AND GRUYERE TART By: HughFW
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Florence Knight's lamb, tomatoes, rainbow chard By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Stuffed Courgette Flowers By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Spinach & thyme pasties By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Smoked pollack with poached egg By: River Cottage Fish
- L.E.’s Tomato Soufflé Tart By: mummifiedartist
- Cherry and Chocolate Tart By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Apricot almond bake (wheat free) By: lindsayhoyermillar
- Fig & Almond Tart By: david_williams
- Parmisan Spinach and ricotta Tarts By: Clear View Allotment
- Oregano Flower and Cheese Tarts By: Mrs B
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day
- Tomato and red pepper tartlets with basil pastry By: Merlyn
- spinach tart By: Claretty
- Hot-Smoked Salmon and Spicy Beetroot Tart By: Nick J Bennett