This was too sweet for my taste but going to try it again with less sugar.
This wonderful tangy South African way of preparing beetroot goes perfectly with salads, in sandwiches or simply on its own. I fought for many months to prize this recipe out of a good friend Rone Brigham - so thanks to her.Rate this recipe:
- 15 minutes
- 30 mins plus beetroot cooking time if using fresh
- Approx 1 lb
- 4 cups cooked beetroot cut up into small cubes
- 1 ½ cups finely diced onion
- 1 ½ cups sugar (White)
- 1 cup brown vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 ½ cups maizena (Cornflour) made into a thick paste with a little water
If you are using fresh uncooked beetroot, you need to get these on the boil and cooking. This will take several hours depending upon the size of beetroot. If you are using ready cooked beetroot, make sure they are not preserved in anything - just cooked in water.
Place onions, vinegar and sugar into a cooking pot and cook on a gentle heat for about 5 minutes until the onions soften.
Dice the beetroot into small chunks - remember this is going into jars so you don't want to make the pieces too large.
When the onions are softened, add in your diced beetroot and give it a cook stir, but be careful not to break up the beetroot chunks.
Bring mixture to the boil.
Add in curry powder and give it a cook stir.
Add in the cornflour/ water mix little by little until you achieve a thickish consistency.
Pour into prepared sterilised jars, cover with wax paper and you are done!
This will keep for several months unopened in the pantry, but once opened store in a fridge as you would other pickles.
- Hugh's egg, beetroot and anchovy open sandwich By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW
- Goats cheese and caramelized beetroot tart By: Constanze
- Beetroot hummus By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Hugh's slug fritters By: River Cottage summers here
- BEETLE JUICE!!! By: andyholmes
- Chocolate & beetroot ice cream By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Vegetable Crisps By: Hell Belle
- Florence Knight's beetroot, gorgonzola, poppy seeds By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sam's beef, beetroot and horseradish By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Gill Meller's beetroot, yoghurt and walnut soup By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Curried fish pie By: Every Day
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Dogfish curry By: River Cottage summers here
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Roast beetroot soup with ginger By: Constanze
- Beetroot, apple and cheddar pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Gravadlax with beetroot By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Roasted beetroot pizza with kale and anchovies By: MarkD
- Beetroot, apple, pecans By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile