I looked up your recipe but decided to make a couple of amendments by using balsamic vinegar because I don't enjoy the taste of any other vinegar. I find the balsamic one is less sour and therefore more palatable. I also cooked some button mushrooms (halved) in the juices that were left on the pan and then layered them on top of the beetroot before adding the pastry.Also skipped the vinaigrette entirely. It all worked very well and the result tasted lovely.
Taken from the River Cottage Veg TV series and featured in the River Cottage Every Day Veg! cook book. The classic tarte tatin is made, of course, with apples. But the principle of caramelising some delicious, round, sweet things topping them with puff pastry, then flipping it upside down, works equally well in this savoury interpretation.Rate this recipe:
- 30 mins
- 1 hour
- Rough Puff Pastry
- 400g Flour
- 200g Cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Pinch of salt
- 12 tbs Iced water
- 500g Baby beetroot (no bigger than a golfball), scrubbed
- 25g Butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1tbs cider vinegar
- 1tbs soft brown sugar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Green tops from a few spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1 tbs Cider vinegar
- 5 tbs rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan large enough for all the beetroot to sit snugly, add the beetroot and toss to coat in the oil and butter. Add the sugar and vinegar, season and taste, adjusting the vinegar and sugar if necessary.
Cover the pan with foil and place in an oven preheated to 190C for approximately 30-40minutes or until the beetroot are tender.
Mix the flour with the salt and add the cubed butter. Add enough water to bring the mixture together into a fairly firm dough. On a floured surface shape the pastry into a rectangle. Roll out the pastry until it’s approximately 1cm thick. Fold the pastry into thirds, by taking the end furthest away from you towards you and then the end closest to you on top of that, you should again have a rectangle. Turn the pastry a quarter turn and repeat the rolling and folding a further five times. Wrap the pastry in cling film and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
When the beetroot are cooked remove from the oven and arrange the beets neatly in the pan. Roll out the pastry and cut a circle a little larger than the pan. Carefully place the pastry over the beetroot tucking the excess pastry into the pan. Return to the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffed up.
Make the vinaigrette by placing all the ingredients in a clean jam jar and give it a good shake.
When the tart is ready remove from the oven and leave to rest for a few minutes.
To serve place a large plate over the pan and carefully, but quickly, turn upside down remove the pan and pour over the vinaigrette.
For more fantastic recipes, cookery skills and techniques join the team of experts at the River Cottage Cookery School.
A great all rounder perfect for a vegetarian gets coming. So easy so simply and so elegant.
www.thehappypotato.com is rocking the beetroot tarte tatin recipe today - wonderful use of this beautiful vegetable!
I made this last Sunday and it was so yummy, and the recipe worked perfectly. I have to say to save time I cheated on the rough puff but it was wonderful. I am a recent convert to beetroot after being scared off by pickled beetroot on salads as a child, but this recipe will be used again I can promise that. We also used slightly larger beetroot and chopped them down and this worked fine.
- Cherry and Chocolate Tart By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW
- Lamb and cherry pasty By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Molasses Apple Tart with Rye Crust By: notjustapples
- Gill Meller's beetroot, yoghurt and walnut soup By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- No added sugar childrens mince pies By: Halff Charity
- Roast beetroot soup with ginger By: Constanze
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- Curried fish pie By: Every Day
- Beetroot, apple and cheddar pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Beetroot, apple, pecans By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Leek & Dorset Blue Vinny Tart By: Every Day
- Lemon Tart By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Upside-down onion tart By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Vegetable Crisps By: Hell Belle
- Hugh's egg, beetroot and anchovy open sandwich By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chicken, leek and plum pie By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Velvet Chicken Pie By: FoodslashTech
- Sam's beef, beetroot and horseradish By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Florence Knight's beetroot, gorgonzola, poppy seeds By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- MY HEALTHY & OHSOHANDY OIL PASTRY By: posh(nosh)
- Goats cheese and caramelized beetroot tart By: Constanze
- BEETLE JUICE!!! By: andyholmes
- Tomato and red pepper tartlets with basil pastry By: Merlyn
- Beetroot Atjar By: karenjopling
- Cheese straws By: River Cottage HQ
- Broccoli Leaves & Bacon Flan By: tamara
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Mixed Mushroom Tart By: Winter's on the way
- Tourte de blettes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Gravadlax with beetroot By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Gill's apples, shortcrust pastry and almonds By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chocolate & beetroot ice cream By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Roasted beetroot pizza with kale and anchovies By: MarkD
- Beetroot hummus By: River Cottage Bread Handbook