If you don’t like bread and butter pudding, the chances are that you’ve never had one that’s been made properly. This recipe should change your mind.Rate this recipe:
- About 600g one- or two-day-old white bread
- About 50g unsalted butter
- Softened 300ml double cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 medium free-range egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- A good handful of raisins
Butter a shallow oval baking dish, about 30 x 20cm.
Cut the bread into medium- thick slices, butter them, then cut the crusts off and halve the slices on the diagonal to form triangles.
Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan.
Split the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon and add them to the pan with the empty pod.
Bring just to the boil over a medium heat, then take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, briefly whisk together the egg yolks and 150g of the sugar to combine.
Pour in the hot milk and cream mix, including the vanilla, whisking all the time.
This is your custard.
Arrange the triangles of bread in the baking dish – in rows, propped up and leaning on each other so they come just proud of the dish, sprinkling the raisins in between.
Continue in this way until you’ve filled the dish and used all the bread, cutting the triangles up and tucking the pieces in as you need to.
Don’t try to be neat – the point of layering like this is that the propped-up ends, which stand clear of the custard, turn golden and crispy in the oven.
Try not to leave too many raisins exposed, as they are liable to scorch during baking.
Now, pour over the custard, making sure you moisten all the pieces of bread.
Let the pudding stand for 20 minutes or so, to allow the custard to soak in. Heat the oven to 180�C/Gas Mark 4 and boil the kettle.
When you are ready to bake, sprinkle over the rest of the sugar.
Sit the dish in a roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the dish (this bain-marie will help to keep the pudding soft.)
Bake for 20–30 minutes, until the custard is just set in the middle – prod the top with your finger to check.
Serve hot or warm, with cream or ice cream.
There are no comments available
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Hommity Pie By: Faerie Shmoe
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Leftover frittata By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Baked eggs with spinach, mushrooms and cheese By: River Cottage summers here
- Garlic,mango & coriander bites By: wigster
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Chive Flower Butter By: EdibleFlowers
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- Basic bread recipe By: River Cottage HQ
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Cheese straws By: River Cottage HQ
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage summers here
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Crazy Bread and Butter By: A16AdamWalker
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Tapioca Pudding By: Globi
- Rhubarb, ginger, cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Moroccan Tomato Soup By: TwoinMexico
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Chicory, pears and salty-sweet roasted almonds. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- pumpkin clootie pudding By: decaf
- Wholemeal carrot and honey cake recipe By: River Cottage summers here
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Gelf’s Christmas Pudding By: River Cottage HQ
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- Roast Pork Stuffed with Gooseberries and Black Pudding By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Malted grain loaf By: River Cottage summers here
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania