If you don’t like bread and butter pudding, the chances are that you’ve never had one that’s been made properly. This recipe should change your mind.Rate this recipe:
- About 600g one- or two-day-old white bread
- About 50g unsalted butter
- Softened 300ml double cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 medium free-range egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- A good handful of raisins
Butter a shallow oval baking dish, about 30 x 20cm.
Cut the bread into medium- thick slices, butter them, then cut the crusts off and halve the slices on the diagonal to form triangles.
Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan.
Split the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon and add them to the pan with the empty pod.
Bring just to the boil over a medium heat, then take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, briefly whisk together the egg yolks and 150g of the sugar to combine.
Pour in the hot milk and cream mix, including the vanilla, whisking all the time.
This is your custard.
Arrange the triangles of bread in the baking dish – in rows, propped up and leaning on each other so they come just proud of the dish, sprinkling the raisins in between.
Continue in this way until you’ve filled the dish and used all the bread, cutting the triangles up and tucking the pieces in as you need to.
Don’t try to be neat – the point of layering like this is that the propped-up ends, which stand clear of the custard, turn golden and crispy in the oven.
Try not to leave too many raisins exposed, as they are liable to scorch during baking.
Now, pour over the custard, making sure you moisten all the pieces of bread.
Let the pudding stand for 20 minutes or so, to allow the custard to soak in. Heat the oven to 180�C/Gas Mark 4 and boil the kettle.
When you are ready to bake, sprinkle over the rest of the sugar.
Sit the dish in a roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the dish (this bain-marie will help to keep the pudding soft.)
Bake for 20–30 minutes, until the custard is just set in the middle – prod the top with your finger to check.
Serve hot or warm, with cream or ice cream.
There are no comments available
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Tapioca Pudding By: Globi
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Leftover frittata By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Cheese straws By: River Cottage HQ
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Malted grain loaf By: River Cottage summers here
- Baked eggs with spinach, mushrooms and cheese By: River Cottage summers here
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Hommity Pie By: Faerie Shmoe
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- pumpkin clootie pudding By: decaf
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Crazy Bread and Butter By: A16AdamWalker
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Chicory, pears and salty-sweet roasted almonds. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Garlic,mango & coriander bites By: wigster
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Moroccan Tomato Soup By: TwoinMexico
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Wholemeal carrot and honey cake recipe By: River Cottage summers here
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Basic bread recipe By: River Cottage HQ
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Chive Flower Butter By: EdibleFlowers
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Roast Pork Stuffed with Gooseberries and Black Pudding By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- Rhubarb, ginger, cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage summers here
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak