If you don’t like bread and butter pudding, the chances are that you’ve never had one that’s been made properly. This recipe should change your mind.Rate this recipe:
- About 600g one- or two-day-old white bread
- About 50g unsalted butter
- Softened 300ml double cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 medium free-range egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- A good handful of raisins
Butter a shallow oval baking dish, about 30 x 20cm.
Cut the bread into medium- thick slices, butter them, then cut the crusts off and halve the slices on the diagonal to form triangles.
Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan.
Split the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon and add them to the pan with the empty pod.
Bring just to the boil over a medium heat, then take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, briefly whisk together the egg yolks and 150g of the sugar to combine.
Pour in the hot milk and cream mix, including the vanilla, whisking all the time.
This is your custard.
Arrange the triangles of bread in the baking dish – in rows, propped up and leaning on each other so they come just proud of the dish, sprinkling the raisins in between.
Continue in this way until you’ve filled the dish and used all the bread, cutting the triangles up and tucking the pieces in as you need to.
Don’t try to be neat – the point of layering like this is that the propped-up ends, which stand clear of the custard, turn golden and crispy in the oven.
Try not to leave too many raisins exposed, as they are liable to scorch during baking.
Now, pour over the custard, making sure you moisten all the pieces of bread.
Let the pudding stand for 20 minutes or so, to allow the custard to soak in. Heat the oven to 180�C/Gas Mark 4 and boil the kettle.
When you are ready to bake, sprinkle over the rest of the sugar.
Sit the dish in a roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the dish (this bain-marie will help to keep the pudding soft.)
Bake for 20–30 minutes, until the custard is just set in the middle – prod the top with your finger to check.
Serve hot or warm, with cream or ice cream.
There are no comments available
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Chicory, pears and salty-sweet roasted almonds. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Roast Pork Stuffed with Gooseberries and Black Pudding By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- Leftover frittata By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Crazy Bread and Butter By: A16AdamWalker
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Baked eggs with spinach, mushrooms and cheese By: River Cottage summers here
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Basic bread recipe By: River Cottage HQ
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage summers here
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Rhubarb, ginger, cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Tapioca Pudding By: Globi
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Garlic,mango & coriander bites By: wigster
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Chive Flower Butter By: EdibleFlowers
- Moroccan Tomato Soup By: TwoinMexico
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Wholemeal carrot and honey cake recipe By: River Cottage summers here
- pumpkin clootie pudding By: decaf
- Cheese straws By: River Cottage HQ
- Hommity Pie By: Faerie Shmoe
- Malted grain loaf By: River Cottage summers here