If you don’t like bread and butter pudding, the chances are that you’ve never had one that’s been made properly. This recipe should change your mind.Rate this recipe:
- About 600g one- or two-day-old white bread
- About 50g unsalted butter
- Softened 300ml double cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 medium free-range egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- A good handful of raisins
Butter a shallow oval baking dish, about 30 x 20cm.
Cut the bread into medium- thick slices, butter them, then cut the crusts off and halve the slices on the diagonal to form triangles.
Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan.
Split the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon and add them to the pan with the empty pod.
Bring just to the boil over a medium heat, then take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, briefly whisk together the egg yolks and 150g of the sugar to combine.
Pour in the hot milk and cream mix, including the vanilla, whisking all the time.
This is your custard.
Arrange the triangles of bread in the baking dish – in rows, propped up and leaning on each other so they come just proud of the dish, sprinkling the raisins in between.
Continue in this way until you’ve filled the dish and used all the bread, cutting the triangles up and tucking the pieces in as you need to.
Don’t try to be neat – the point of layering like this is that the propped-up ends, which stand clear of the custard, turn golden and crispy in the oven.
Try not to leave too many raisins exposed, as they are liable to scorch during baking.
Now, pour over the custard, making sure you moisten all the pieces of bread.
Let the pudding stand for 20 minutes or so, to allow the custard to soak in. Heat the oven to 180�C/Gas Mark 4 and boil the kettle.
When you are ready to bake, sprinkle over the rest of the sugar.
Sit the dish in a roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the dish (this bain-marie will help to keep the pudding soft.)
Bake for 20–30 minutes, until the custard is just set in the middle – prod the top with your finger to check.
Serve hot or warm, with cream or ice cream.
There are no comments available
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- Rhubarb, ginger, cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Chive Flower Butter By: EdibleFlowers
- Chicory, pears and salty-sweet roasted almonds. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Wholemeal carrot and honey cake recipe By: River Cottage summers here
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage summers here
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Crazy Bread and Butter By: A16AdamWalker
- Moroccan Tomato Soup By: TwoinMexico
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Tapioca Pudding By: Globi
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Hommity Pie By: Faerie Shmoe
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- Roast Pork Stuffed with Gooseberries and Black Pudding By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Leftover frittata By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- pumpkin clootie pudding By: decaf
- Baked eggs with spinach, mushrooms and cheese By: River Cottage summers here
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Malted grain loaf By: River Cottage summers here
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Cheese straws By: River Cottage HQ
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Garlic,mango & coriander bites By: wigster
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Basic bread recipe By: River Cottage HQ
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day