If you don’t like bread and butter pudding, the chances are that you’ve never had one that’s been made properly. This recipe should change your mind.Rate this recipe:
- About 600g one- or two-day-old white bread
- About 50g unsalted butter
- Softened 300ml double cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 medium free-range egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- A good handful of raisins
Butter a shallow oval baking dish, about 30 x 20cm.
Cut the bread into medium- thick slices, butter them, then cut the crusts off and halve the slices on the diagonal to form triangles.
Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan.
Split the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon and add them to the pan with the empty pod.
Bring just to the boil over a medium heat, then take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, briefly whisk together the egg yolks and 150g of the sugar to combine.
Pour in the hot milk and cream mix, including the vanilla, whisking all the time.
This is your custard.
Arrange the triangles of bread in the baking dish – in rows, propped up and leaning on each other so they come just proud of the dish, sprinkling the raisins in between.
Continue in this way until you’ve filled the dish and used all the bread, cutting the triangles up and tucking the pieces in as you need to.
Don’t try to be neat – the point of layering like this is that the propped-up ends, which stand clear of the custard, turn golden and crispy in the oven.
Try not to leave too many raisins exposed, as they are liable to scorch during baking.
Now, pour over the custard, making sure you moisten all the pieces of bread.
Let the pudding stand for 20 minutes or so, to allow the custard to soak in. Heat the oven to 180�C/Gas Mark 4 and boil the kettle.
When you are ready to bake, sprinkle over the rest of the sugar.
Sit the dish in a roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the dish (this bain-marie will help to keep the pudding soft.)
Bake for 20–30 minutes, until the custard is just set in the middle – prod the top with your finger to check.
Serve hot or warm, with cream or ice cream.
There are no comments available
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage summers here
- Tapioca Pudding By: Globi
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- pumpkin clootie pudding By: decaf
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Crazy Bread and Butter By: A16AdamWalker
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Roast Pork Stuffed with Gooseberries and Black Pudding By: River Cottage to the Core
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Hommity Pie By: Faerie Shmoe
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Wholemeal carrot and honey cake recipe By: River Cottage summers here
- Baked eggs with spinach, mushrooms and cheese By: River Cottage summers here
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Moroccan Tomato Soup By: TwoinMexico
- Malted grain loaf By: River Cottage summers here
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Garlic,mango & coriander bites By: wigster
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Cheese straws By: RiverCottageHQ
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Chicory, pears and salty-sweet roasted almonds. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chive Flower Butter By: EdibleFlowers
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- The average cake By: noncsi0730