I have absolutely loads of basil, as I just chuck packets of seeds around my tomato plants. I normally just make traditional pesto - basil, pine nuts, parmesan, olive oil, and just use it fresh. I was wondering if you have tried to conserve it. I was thinking of making it and then sterilizing it in a water bath. Any pointers if this would work.
Don't banish breadcrumbs to the bird table - put them to use in this breadcrumb pesto recipe, where they shine alongside Hugh's herbs and hemp oil. Try it out on pasta and potatoes, for a textured alternative to your usual Italian smoothie.Rate this recipe:
- 10-15 minutes
- Makes 6-8 tablespoons
- * 60g coarse wholemeal or granary breadcrumbs
- * Large bunch of parsley (about 50g), leaves only
- * 1 small garlic clove, roughly chopped
- * 150-200ml hempseed oil
- * 50g Parmesan or matured hard goat's cheese, finely grated
- * Juice of ½ lemon
- * Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Toast the breadcrumbs in a small frying pan for a few minutes, until crisp and nutty, then leave to cool.
2. Put the parsley leaves and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (or chop them by hand, if you prefer). Transfer to a bowl and stir in enough oil to create a thinnish paste. Stir in the cheese and breadcrumbs, thin with a little more oil if you want, then adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
3. The breadcrumbs give this pesto a coarse, chunky texture. It's absolutely delicious with jacket potatoes.
Very zingy! Served over fresh spaghetti tonight, absolutely delicious.
- Pheasant kiev By: River Cottage HQ
- Courgette & Pesto Bake By: kas
- Pasta and pesto with green beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Maddock for Haddock By: Bhrollum
- Hugh's Parsley Pesto By: River Cottage summers here
- Pesto By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Basil and parsley pesto By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- The best wild garlic pesto By: TheSausageJockey
- Nettle pesto By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Zesty Pesto By: AC
- Postmodern Cous Cous By: rickyburnell