gruenkohl is on our christmas table EVERY year! my mum puts a mix of porkbelly and salt beef in it. she also tends to cook it several times (give it a few days before christmas)...believe it or not but it tastes better!
This recipe comes from Germany and is Called "Grun Col." We first came across it at the German Christmas Markets in Cologn. Served with Bratwurst sausages it's a real winter warmer. Serve with your favourite meat be it lamb chops, Steak or just on its own with a poached egg.Rate this recipe:
- 20 mins
- 15 mins
- 4 persons
- 2 large bags of either Curly Kale, or January King cabbage (or other dark brasica)
- 250grms Panchetta or bacon lardons
- 1 large white potao (suitable for mashing)
- 1 large white onion
- 1 pint of Chicken or Lamb stock
- 2 teaspoons of butter and a little olive oil
- sqeezed juice of lemon
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
grünkohl (green cabbage) is kinda the traditional german christmas dinner veg. i love it. my mum always puts gammon in it and we eat it together with red cabbage to goose and potatoe dumplings. i can't wait for christmas again. green cabbage taste much better when you prepare it one or two days before the dinner and put it out over night so it gets frost.
- Kiwi Boilup - All in One Meal By: Purplegoanna
- LOIN OF PORK on a bed of BUBBLE & SQUEAK with APPLE & PLUM SAUCES By: astridges
- Sauerkraut By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Tim Maddam's pasta, sausage and cabbage By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Leftover lamb and spelt salad By: River Cottage summers here
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Cabbage and Chorizo Soup By: Haly
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Leftover lamb and spelt salad By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Red cabbage, parsnip, orange and date salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's cabbage, avocado and lentils By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!