This recipe features in the River Cottage Christmas special as seen on Channel 4, December 2011. The recipe is taken from Hugh's River Cottage Veg Every Day! Available here: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rivecott-21/detail/1408812126Rate this recipe:
- 15 mins
- 10-15 mins
- 2 Large handfuls Black Kale (about 500g)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves only and finely chopped
- 50ml Port
- 100ml Double cream
- 25g Butter
- 1 tbs Rapeseed oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Bagette or small sour dough loaf, slightly stale
- Olive oil for drizzling
To make the crostini slice the bread thinly (about 5mm), drizzle a baking tray with olive oil and place the bread on the tray and drizzle with a little more oil and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Bake in an oven preheated to 200C for about 8 minutes or until golden.
Blanch the kale in boiling water for two minutes remove using a draining spoon and refresh in ice cold water. Once cold drain and squeeze out the water and set the kale to one side.
Heat the oil and butter in a pan when hot add the onion and garlic and cook over a gentle heat until the onions have softened and become translucent. Add the port, thyme and seasoning and continue cooking until the port has reduced to just a glaze. Add the cream and reduce by half.
Squeeze the kale into a tight ball to remove as much water as you can. Cut the ball of kale in half and very finely shred the kale. Add to the pan of onions and cream and heat through gently, check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Top the crostini with the creamed kale.
There are no comments available
- Gill Meller's kale, lobster and soy By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Roasted beetroot pizza with kale and anchovies By: MarkD
- Kale, onions, chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Chard & new potato curry By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's kale, chicken stock and spaghetti By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Florence Knight's kale, squid, chickpeas By: Hugh's 3 Good Things