This velvety, gently aniseedy soup is given warmth and definition with a touch of orange zest. The rich-but-sharp crème fraîche added at the end balances it all out nicely.Rate this recipe:
- 15 minutes
- 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 30g butter
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 4 shallots, or 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 large fennel bulbs (about 750g), trimmed and sliced (any feathery fronds reserved)
- ¼ large celeriac (about 250g, untrimmed), peeled and cubed
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- About 500ml vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4–6 tablespoons crème fraîche, to finish
Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
Add the shallots or onion and sweat gently for a few minutes.
Add the fennel and celeriac, stir well, then cover and sweat for about 10 minutes.
Add the orange zest, stock and some salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes until all the veg is tender.
Purée the soup in a blender until completely smooth, adding a touch
more stock or water to loosen the consistency if necessary.
(You may have to blend longer than usual to blitz out all the fibres from the
fennel, but it shouldn’t be necessary to pass the soup through a sieve.)
Reheat the soup if necessary, check the seasoning and serve, with a good blob of crème fraîche on top, a few fennel fronds if you have them, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
There are no comments available
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Velvet Chicken Pie By: FoodslashTech
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Strawberry soup By: River Cottage summers here
- Kasper Gaard's mackerel, red onion and fennel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Lisa Allen's streaky bacon, celeriac and soft egg By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Grey mullet carpaccio By: River Cottage summers here
- Sam Rom's bacon chop, fennel and apple By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sophie Wright's pear, pork and celeriac By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Kasper Gaard's black bream, celeriac and french bean By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Hugh's fennel, orange and watercress By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's Pear and Celeriac Stuffing By: River Cottage Christmas Fayre
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Chorizo and pouting soup By: River Cottage summers here
- Hugh's celeriac, lentils and raisins By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Spicy Asian Green Veg By: lollypop1989
- Celeriac ice cream By: River Cottage Christmas!
- Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast Chicken Soup By: ncook
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!