River Cottage head chef Gill Meller's kale, lobster and soy, taken from the Hugh's Three Good Things on More4. Hugh's recognised a simple pattern that underpins so many well-loved dishes – that they are little more or less than three good things on a plate and in this series, he pursues that idea, experimenting with different flavours and textures.Rate this recipe:
- 30 mins
- 10 mins
- 2 - 3
- 1 x 600g Lobster, cooked
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 3cm knob of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 Clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- Soy sauce
- 500g Kale, washed and thoroughly dried
- 800ml Groundnut or sunflower oil
- ½ Tsp golden caster sugar
- Sea salt
Remove the claws from the lobster body and crack to open and remove the meat. Cut the lobster tail in half with strong scissors and remove the tail meat, discard the rest (you can make stock from this). Cut the tail meat into rounds and roughly chop the claw meat if necessary into bite-size chunks.
In a small pan heat 4tbsp of soy sauce along with 4tbsp of water and the chilli, garlic and ginger. Gently simmer for 5-10 minutes or until aromatic and well combined.
To make the crispy kale, heat the oil into a large deep saucepan until it begins to shimmer or reaches 180C on a thermometer. Meanwhile remove the woody central stalk from the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Fry in batches until they begin to turn dark green and crisp. Remove immediately and drain on kitchen roll. Repeat with the remaining kale. Season with salt and sugar and toss to mix well.
To finish the lobster heat through in the soy sauce mix until warm.
Serve the warm lobster with a couple of tbsp of the soy sauce mix with the crispy kale on top. Eat immediately.
This recipe is one of hundreds of new recipes which can be found in the book which inspired the series, Hugh's Three Good Things.
- Challenge Hugh and win a £2,000 River Cottage bundle
- Check out Hugh's Scrapbook on Channel 4
There are no comments available
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Gill Meller's courgettes, mangetout and lemon By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Creamed Kale Crostini By: River Cottage Christmas!
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Chard & new potato curry By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Roasted beetroot pizza with kale and anchovies By: MarkD
- Hugh's lobster, cucumber and apple By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's clams, tomatoes and garlic By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill Meller's beetroot, yoghurt and walnut soup By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's tomatoes, mint and olive oil By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill Meller's mushrooms, pastry and pancetta By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Pheasant, bacon and prunes By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's courgette, goats’ cheese and milk By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's kale, chicken stock and spaghetti By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Florence Knight's kale, squid, chickpeas By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Kale, onions, chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill Meller's grey mullet, tomato and red shallots By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Florence Knight's beetroot, gorgonzola, poppy seeds By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage to the Core
- Cherry and Chocolate Tart By: River Cottage to the Core