This is outstanding without the bacon, for any veggies out there - couldn't be easier and totally delicious
Try Gill's tasty twist on a traditional Christmas stuffing, or check out the competition and try Hugh's! (Gill's stuffing is to the right of the picture, Hugh's is to the left!)Rate this recipe:
- ~ 20 Minutes
- 35 - 45 Minutes
- 200g Smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Parsnips, coarsely grated
- 12 Medjool dates, finely chopped
- 1 Large handful fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ bunch Thyme, finely chopped
- 1 Bay leaf, very finely chopped
- 4 Juniper berries, finely chopped
- Zest of half an orange
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt & Pepper
- Goose fat or oil for frying
Heat the goose fat in a large frying pan, then add the bacon and fry gently until the fat has rendered down. Add the onion and cook until softened, then add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the grated parsnip to the pan and cook until softened for about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally, add the thyme & bay leaf and cook for a further minute.
Put the chopped dates into a mixing bowl along with the parsnip mix, breadcrumbs, juniper, parsley, orange zest and seasoning. Give everything a stir, season and add the lemon juice and beaten egg, give a final good stir to mix everything together.
You can stuff this mixture under the neck skin of a chicken, turkey or goose, and also put a little of it inside the cavity of the bird (but don't pack it full, because then the stuffing may not cook through properly).
If you have any left over, you can bake it separately in a shallow dish, or roll it into balls for baking. Cook at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for 35-45 minutes, depending on thickness, or until cooked through.
- Red cabbage, parsnip, orange and date salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Gill’s risotto with roasted tomato and microsalads By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Confit of Goose Legs By: HughFW
- Smoked Ham Hock, Haggis & Goose Terrine By: somersetchef
- Elderly goose sausages By: dan1
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Gill's honey cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Sophie's orange, parsnip and halloumi By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Curried Parsnip Soup By: marcuscabot5
- Hugh's Pear and Celeriac Stuffing By: River Cottage Christmas Fayre
- butternut squash soup By: sandoy944