...but how do i make the roasted tomato sauce?
Gill's variation of Hugh's recipe taken from the River Cottage Every Day Veg! cook book.Rate this recipe:
- 10 mins
- 30-40 mins
- 750ml vegetable stock
- A large knob of butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g risotto rice
- About 200ml roasted tomato sauce
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella (100–125g), torn or cut into chunks
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- TO SERVE
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A couple of large handfuls of microsalads, or rocket (optional)
Bring the stock to a low simmer in a small saucepan. Keep over a very low heat.
Heat the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and sweat for 8–10 minutes, until soft. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes.
Now start adding the hot stock, about a quarter at a time. Let the risotto cook, stirring often, adding more hot stock as it is absorbed. After 20–25 minutes, the rice should be cooked, with just a hint of chalkiness in the middle, and you should have used up the stock.
Add the tomato sauce and cook for another couple of minutes, until piping hot, then remove from the heat. Stir in some salt and pepper, then add the mozzarella. Leave the risotto, covered, for a minute, then stir through the melting mozzarella, but not too thoroughly – you want to encounter stretchy, melty bits as you eat.
Serve topped with a generous trickle of extra virgin olive oil, with a tangle of microsalads or rocket on the side, if you like.
For more fantastic recipes, cookery skills and techniques join the team of experts at the River Cottage Cookery School.
- Oyster risotto with deep-fried gutweed By: River Cottage Edible Seashore Handbook
- Butternut Squash and Stilton Risotto By: Seraphim
- Gill's honey cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Gill's Mushroom Risotto By: gillM
- Turnip 'risotto' By: Mark Diacono
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage to the Core
- Turnip 'risotto' By: MarkD
- Liz's Chard and Chilli oil Risotto By: LizardM
- Gill's Parsnip and Date Stuffing By: River Cottage Christmas Fayre
- smokey red pepper risotto By: dutch liz
- Spelt risotto By: cabrioler
- Risotto with spinach By: Eatmania
- Cauliflower Cheese Risotto crispy sage topping (or crispy sage & chilli oil topping) By: Kristy