Guest chef Florence Knight's beetroot, gorgonzola and poppy seeds, taken from the Hugh's Three Good Things on More4. Hugh's recognised a simple pattern that underpins so many well-loved dishes – that they are little more or less than three good things on a plate and in this series, he pursues that idea, experimenting with different flavours and textures.Rate this recipe:
- 20 mins
- 40 mins
- 2 Bunches baby purple beetroots with good leaves attached
- 1 Bunch Thyme
- 200 ml Moscatel vinegar
- 200g Gorgonzola cheese at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C
Trim the beetroots leaving about 3 cm of the stem and the root in place. Wrap the beetroots tightly in individual parcels of tinfoil with a few sprigs of thyme some salt and a splash of olive oil in each parcel.
Place on a shallow baking tray with a centimeter of water and then into the hot oven for about 40 minutes or until tender.
Remove them from the oven, unwrap the beetroot and place in a bowl under some cling film to let them sweat while they cool. When cool enough to handle peel them gently (the skin should come away easily) and then marinate them in the vinegar with a pinch of salt and a glug of olive oil for at least an hour but ideally overnight.
To serve, reheat the marinated beetroot in a pan over a medium heat with a little of the vinegar and oil mixture to gently warm them through.
Once they are warm scatter through some beetroot leaves, put the lid on for a couple of seconds until they have wilted down a little, remove from the heat and mix the poppy seeds through the mixture until the beets are evenly coated. Plate the mixture with a little of the juice and scatter a few pieces of Gorgonzola over the top.
This recipe is one of hundreds of new recipes which can be found in the book which inspired the series, Hugh's Three Good Things.
- Challenge Hugh and win a �2,000 River Cottage bundle
- Check out Hugh's Scrapbook on Channel 4
There are no comments available
- Hugh's egg, beetroot and anchovy open sandwich By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill Meller's kale, lobster and soy By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Florence Knight's kale, squid, chickpeas By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- Beetroot, apple, pecans By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's kale, chicken stock and spaghetti By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill Meller's beetroot, yoghurt and walnut soup By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill Meller's mushrooms, pastry and pancetta By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Florence Knight's lamb, tomatoes, rainbow chard By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Roasted beetroot pizza with kale and anchovies By: MarkD
- Gill Meller's grey mullet, tomato and red shallots By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Florence Knight's pigeon, button mushrooms, polenta By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Sam's beef, beetroot and horseradish By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Beetroot Atjar By: karenjopling
- Beetroot hummus By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- BEETLE JUICE!!! By: andyholmes
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Chocolate & beetroot ice cream By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW
- Pheasant, bacon and prunes By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Vegetable Crisps By: Hell Belle
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's tomatoes, mint and olive oil By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's clams, tomatoes and garlic By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill Meller's courgettes, mangetout and lemon By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Beetroot, apple and cheddar pizza By: River Cottage to the Core
- Hugh's courgette, goats’ cheese and milk By: Hugh's 3 Good Things