Guest chef Florence Knight's beetroot, gorgonzola and poppy seeds, taken from the Hugh's Three Good Things on More4. Hugh's recognised a simple pattern that underpins so many well-loved dishes – that they are little more or less than three good things on a plate and in this series, he pursues that idea, experimenting with different flavours and textures.Rate this recipe:
- 20 mins
- 40 mins
- 2 Bunches baby purple beetroots with good leaves attached
- 1 Bunch Thyme
- 200 ml Moscatel vinegar
- 200g Gorgonzola cheese at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C
Trim the beetroots leaving about 3 cm of the stem and the root in place. Wrap the beetroots tightly in individual parcels of tinfoil with a few sprigs of thyme some salt and a splash of olive oil in each parcel.
Place on a shallow baking tray with a centimeter of water and then into the hot oven for about 40 minutes or until tender.
Remove them from the oven, unwrap the beetroot and place in a bowl under some cling film to let them sweat while they cool. When cool enough to handle peel them gently (the skin should come away easily) and then marinate them in the vinegar with a pinch of salt and a glug of olive oil for at least an hour but ideally overnight.
To serve, reheat the marinated beetroot in a pan over a medium heat with a little of the vinegar and oil mixture to gently warm them through.
Once they are warm scatter through some beetroot leaves, put the lid on for a couple of seconds until they have wilted down a little, remove from the heat and mix the poppy seeds through the mixture until the beets are evenly coated. Plate the mixture with a little of the juice and scatter a few pieces of Gorgonzola over the top.
This recipe is one of hundreds of new recipes which can be found in the book which inspired the series, Hugh's Three Good Things.
- Challenge Hugh and win a �2,000 River Cottage bundle
- Check out Hugh's Scrapbook on Channel 4
There are no comments available
- Hugh's tomatoes, mint and olive oil By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill Meller's courgettes, mangetout and lemon By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's egg, beetroot and anchovy open sandwich By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill Meller's grey mullet, tomato and red shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Gill Meller's kale, lobster and soy By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill Meller's mushrooms, pastry and pancetta By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Vegetable Crisps By: Hell Belle
- Beetroot, apple and cheddar pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chocolate & beetroot ice cream By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Florence Knight's pigeon, button mushrooms, polenta By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill Meller's beetroot, yoghurt and walnut soup By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- BEETLE JUICE!!! By: andyholmes
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW
- Sam's beef, beetroot and horseradish By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's clams, tomatoes and garlic By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's courgette, goats’ cheese and milk By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Beetroot Atjar By: karenjopling
- Beetroot, apple, pecans By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- Gravadlax with beetroot By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Florence Knight's lamb, tomatoes, rainbow chard By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roasted beetroot pizza with kale and anchovies By: MarkD
- Hugh's kale, chicken stock and spaghetti By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast beetroot soup with ginger By: Constanze
- Beetroot hummus By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Pheasant, bacon and prunes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Florence Knight's kale, squid, chickpeas By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Goats cheese and caramelized beetroot tart By: Constanze