Rhubarb, I confess, is one of my very favourite fruits (though to be accurate, it’s actually a vegetable with an identity crisis). I never tire of finding new ways to enjoy it. This sweet and fragrant breakfast compote is a fairly recent discovery and I absolutely love it. Try it on eggy bread or perfect pancakes, or spooned on to your customised muesli or thick yoghurt. Alternatively, serve with vanilla ice cream for a pretty pud. From January till early April, you can buy elegant, slender stems of indoor-grown ‘forced’ rhubarb. This gradually gives way to the thicker, darker, more robust outdoorgrown crop. Either will work in this recipe.Rate this recipe:
- 10 mins
- 45 mins - 1 hour
- 1kg rhubarb, cut into 5–10cm lengths
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons runny honey
Put the rhubarb in an ovenproof dish large enough to hold it in a
single layer, then scatter over the orange zest and pour in the juice.
Trickle over the honey and gently mix the whole lot together.
Cover loosely with foil and bake in an oven preheated to 150°C/
Gas Mark 2 for 45 minutes–1 hour, until the rhubarb is tender, giving
it a gentle stir halfway through. The pieces of rhubarb should keep
their shape rather than cook to a mush.
Leave to cool before serving. Sealed in a container, with the syrupy
juices from the tray, this can be kept for a week or so in the fridge.
There are no comments available
- River Cottage yoghurt with granola and rhubarb By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Oaty rhubarb crumble By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage summers here
- Early rhubarb jam By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Rhubarb Fool By: Webteam
- Rhubarb ice lollies By: River Cottage summers here
- Rhubarb Compote By: Every Day
- Rhubarb, ginger, cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Rhubarb and Ginger Cheesecake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Cumberland Rhubarb Jam By: kate dose green stuff
- Foolproof crème brûlée By: Every Day
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Rhubarb and orange yoghurt fool By: Every Day
- Ploughman's with quick rhubarb pickle By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Hugh's mackerel, oatmeal, rhubarb By: Hugh's Three Good Things