I made these with sweet potato and sage instead of squash and thyme. Delicious!
Foldovers are a great way to use freshly made flatbreads. Roasting a small tray of pumpkin is so easy and can be done while the bread dough is rising so, although you couldn’t honestly call this a quick meal, it’s certainly a very straightforward one. The onion, salad leaves, chilli and cheese allow you to ‘dress’ this as though it were a kebab – feel free to customise it further, to your taste.Rate this recipe:
- 10 minutes
- One hour
- Serves four
- 500g pumpkin (or squash), peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3 garlic cloves (unpeeled), bashed
- 1 sprig of thyme, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 4 freshly cooked, soft flatbreads or pitta breads
- A handful of rocket or other salad leaves
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or a dash of chilli sauce
- 50g hard goat’s cheese or Cheddar, grated
- Extra virgin olive oil, to trickle
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Put the squash in a roasting tray with the garlic, thyme leaves, oil and plenty of salt and pepper.
Toss together well and roast for 50–60 minutes, stirring once, until
soft and caramelised.
Lay one flatbread on a board. Place a few leaves in the centre, then
spoon on one quarter of the hot squash (or use to fill the pocket of a warmed pitta).
Sprinkle over a quarter each of the onion, if using, chilli and cheese, season with salt and pepper and finish with a trickle of extra virgin olive oil. Fold or roll the flatbread tightly, enclosing the filling.
Repeat with all the flatbreads.
Leave the foldovers for a minute or two before eating, so the cheese
starts to melt.
You can do the same thing with all sorts of other roasted veg, including roast potatoes or aubergines – or potatoes and aubergines.
A hot roasted beetroot foldover, with some soured cream or plain yoghurt instead of the cheese, is also quite delicious.
I also roasted the slices of red onion as my stomach doesn't like raw onion. And used corn tortilla wraps to reduce the carb content. Delicious. Roasting the butternut seeds with salt, pepper and smoked paprika makes a gorgeous snack too
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup By: Haly
- Pumpkin and apple meringue pie By: Winter's on the way
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Pumpkin and veal sausage lasagne By: Eatmania
- Roast Pumpkin Soup By: peterr
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Kiwi Boilup - All in One Meal By: Purplegoanna
- Roast Pumpkin Pizza By: BuzzMoo
- pumpkin clootie pudding By: decaf
- Hallowe’en pumpkin cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Roasted Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Pumpkin Marmalade By: Snow Cloud
- David’s Bailey’s Stuffed Betel Leaves By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- pumkin soup By: toni_rumens
- Pumpkin Achar By: Winter's on the way
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Hugh's apple bangers By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Oranges in mulled wine syrup By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Blackberry, apple and orange smoothie By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!