I made these with sweet potato and sage instead of squash and thyme. Delicious!
Foldovers are a great way to use freshly made flatbreads. Roasting a small tray of pumpkin is so easy and can be done while the bread dough is rising so, although you couldn’t honestly call this a quick meal, it’s certainly a very straightforward one. The onion, salad leaves, chilli and cheese allow you to ‘dress’ this as though it were a kebab – feel free to customise it further, to your taste.Rate this recipe:
- 10 minutes
- One hour
- Serves four
- 500g pumpkin (or squash), peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3 garlic cloves (unpeeled), bashed
- 1 sprig of thyme, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 4 freshly cooked, soft flatbreads or pitta breads
- A handful of rocket or other salad leaves
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or a dash of chilli sauce
- 50g hard goat’s cheese or Cheddar, grated
- Extra virgin olive oil, to trickle
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Put the squash in a roasting tray with the garlic, thyme leaves, oil and plenty of salt and pepper.
Toss together well and roast for 50–60 minutes, stirring once, until
soft and caramelised.
Lay one flatbread on a board. Place a few leaves in the centre, then
spoon on one quarter of the hot squash (or use to fill the pocket of a warmed pitta).
Sprinkle over a quarter each of the onion, if using, chilli and cheese, season with salt and pepper and finish with a trickle of extra virgin olive oil. Fold or roll the flatbread tightly, enclosing the filling.
Repeat with all the flatbreads.
Leave the foldovers for a minute or two before eating, so the cheese
starts to melt.
You can do the same thing with all sorts of other roasted veg, including roast potatoes or aubergines – or potatoes and aubergines.
A hot roasted beetroot foldover, with some soured cream or plain yoghurt instead of the cheese, is also quite delicious.
I also roasted the slices of red onion as my stomach doesn't like raw onion. And used corn tortilla wraps to reduce the carb content. Delicious. Roasting the butternut seeds with salt, pepper and smoked paprika makes a gorgeous snack too
- Pumpkin Marmalade By: Snow Cloud
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Roast Pumpkin Soup By: peterr
- David’s Bailey’s Stuffed Betel Leaves By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- pumkin soup By: toni_rumens
- pumpkin clootie pudding By: decaf
- Pumpkin Achar By: Winters on the way
- Pumpkin and Apple Meringue Pie By: Winters on the way
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winters on the way
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hallowe’en pumpkin cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Kiwi Boilup - All in One Meal By: Purplegoanna
- Roast Pumpkin Pizza By: BuzzMoo
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pumpkin and veal sausage lasagne By: Eatmania
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup By: Haly