As seen on the first episode of River Cottage: Three Go Mad shown on Channel 4 in July 2012.Rate this recipe:
- 15 mins
- 2 hours
- Serves 6
- 3 cuttlefish and tentacles with ink, cleaned and black membrane removed
- 1L slow roast tomato sauce
- 1L fish stock
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 4 stocks of celery, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon
- 4 bulbs of fennel
- 500g waxy baby potatoes eg. charlottes, sliced into 1" rounds
- sunflower oil
- salt and pepper
Slice the cuttlefish bodies into strips about 1" wide and cut the tentacles into individual pieces.
Heat up 1tbsp of sunflower oil in a frying pan. Season the cuttlefish with salt and pepper and fry in batches until it achieves a golden brown colour. Then tip into a casserole.
Add the fish stock and tomato sauce and bring up to the boil, then turn down and simmer gently.
Meanwhile, add a little more oil to the cuttle pan and add the onions and celery. Sweat down for about ten minutes or until soft, then add the garlic. Continue cooking for another five minutes on a low heat, then add to the stew. Pair two strips of peel off the lemon with a potato peeler, then carefully scrape off the white pith with a knife. Add to the stew.
Cook for at least an hour or until the cuttlefish is looking almost completely tender.
Slice the tough ends off the fennel (keep the green fronds for later), peel back the outer casing and slice the heart in half. Cut into wedges so that each piece has a piece of the core holding it intact. Add the potatoes and fennel to the stew and cook for another 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and the fennel is almost cooked through but retaining a slight bite.
Add the ink. Taste for seasoning.
Serve the stew garnished with the sprigs of fennel fronds.
There are no comments available
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Kasper Gaard's mackerel, red onion and fennel By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Spicy Asian Green Veg By: lollypop1989
- Truffles By: Three Go Mad
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Chicken stew By: swarez
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Roast Chicken Soup By: ncook
- Strawberry soup By: River Cottage summers here
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Hot buttered vodka By: Three Go Mad
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- Sam Rom's bacon chop, fennel and apple By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day
- side dish By: serena
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Salt baked sea bass with fennel salsa By: Three Go Mad
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Saffron and Mussel Sauce By: somersetchef
- Grey mullet carpaccio By: River Cottage summers here
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Chorizo and pouting soup By: River Cottage summers here
- Braised Squirrel By: plymouthcanteen
- Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- Philip’s wood-fired mackerel By: Three Go Mad
- Zander in green bed By: ThorstenW
- Hugh's kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Wild mushroom croquette with fried oak moss By: Three Go Mad
- Hugh's fennel, orange and watercress By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Nettle soup with pignuts and goats curd toast By: Three Go Mad
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Creamed spinach and ham pancakes with bechamel By: Three Go Mad
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Christmas Ginger Biscuits By: Three Go Mad
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Chicken kiev with wild garlic butter By: Three Go Mad
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Xmas fruity walnut beer bread By: Three Go Mad
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Courgette Fritters By: HughFW
- Goats' cheese baked cheesecake with boozy cherries By: Three Go Mad
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chicken Out, of this recipie if you Dare! By: Gray and Shell
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's 3 Good Things