I would also love to know how much agave to use. Any advice would be great, then I can start making this wonderful looking cake! :)
As seen on the River Cottage Veg TV series.Rate this recipe:
- 6 hours
- Serves 6
- For the base:
- 300g Pecans or Almonds
- 1 tsp, Pink Himalayan Salt
- 200g, medjool dates
- For the filling:
- Blend the flesh of 4 medium, ripe avocados
- 150g Virgin coconut oil
- Beans of 2 whole vanilla pods
- 200g raw cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- 300g coconut blossom sugar or agave nectar to taste.
In a food processor, blend the pecans or almonds (Preferably, soak them for around 6 hours and then dehydrate them. The soaking releases the enzyme inhibitors and makes them easier to digest)
Then add the Pink Himalayan salt or another good quality salt. To this, add the Fresh medjool dates. Blend until you have a ‘dough’, or until the mix forms a ball.
Press this mixture into the bottom of a mould. Cover in cling film and leave to harden in the freezer till you are ready to pour on the filling. I like to use a silicone mould. They are freezer safe and easy to get the tart out once it has set.
Blend your filling ingredients until smooth, and then pour onto the base.
Set in the freezer for 1 hour. Then it should be firm enough to slice up. Top with fresh berries, edible flowers, a dusting of cacao powder- whatever takes your fancy and whatever looks pretty!
I've just made this and it's amazing. Does anyone know if it would be ok to freeze it?
OMG that is one MF super duper rich cake!!!
Great recipe but unclear with recipe amounts/descriptions. Agave is a liquid, not solid, so what's the equivalent amount in ml, if I don't want to use sugar? And as for 'beans of vanilla pods' does this mean the seeds? Sorry, but description could be clearer. Otherwise thanks. Good to see recipes not promoting exclusive use of white sugar in desserts, which I find depressing. I am not diabetic but feel processed sugar is entirely toxic.
this is the most expensive cake i have ever made, but it was delicious and quick. i didn't soak the pecans but i followed everything else in the recipe, however, i'm not sure if the vanilla seeds gave it anything as it was so chocolaty. the coconut oil had no bearing on the taste either.
beware, it is a very very rich cake and you can only eat slivers of it. i had a party with 6 adults and 4 children, only 1/3 got ate because of the richness of it.
i would definitely make this again but with half the ingredients and probably in a terrine shape so you could serve slices without it looking mean! whizzing together such a great tasting cake in such a short space of time is definitely worth while
- Lavender cream and Tyberry tart By: Mrs B
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Apricot almond bake (wheat free) By: lindsayhoyermillar
- Recipe for Coronation Curry sauce (Vegan) By: somersetchef
- Herbed Dumplings By: Every Day
- BABY LEEK AND GRUYERE TART By: HughFW
- Blueberry galette By: HughFW
- Parmisan Spinach and ricotta Tarts By: Clear View Allotment
- Apple and dried fruit tart By: rhonda lillian
- Chris Massamba’s Raw Samosas. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Tomato and red pepper tartlets with basil pastry By: Merlyn
- Jerusalem Artichoke tart By: Passionate Foodie
- Cherry tart By: HughFW
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Manchester Tart By: yarnsbaby
- Tourte de blettes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Raspberry tarts By: HughFW
- Butternut Squash & Cranberry rolls By: Neil Drummond
- Merry Berry Winter Drink. By: PeteMcGill
- Simple White Loaf By: Every Day
- spinach tart By: Claretty
- PEA AND LETTUCE TART By: HughFW
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- Leek & Dorset Blue Vinny Tart By: Every Day
- Fig & Almond Tart By: david_williams
- Beet top (or chard) and ricotta tart By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- White chocolate and any berry muffins. By: Haly
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- L.E.’s Tomato Soufflé Tart By: mummifiedartist
- Hot-Smoked Salmon and Spicy Beetroot Tart By: Nick J Bennett
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Caledonian Forest Tart By: riquisimo
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Oregano Flower and Cheese Tarts By: Mrs B
- Peach and Lavender Tart By: splitpin
- Blackberries, apple, cream By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Beetroot and onion pizza By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Prune Tart By: Globi