I did not use agave nector, used Fruit sugar instead, 1/2 the amount. Thought it was wonderful.
As seen on the River Cottage Veg TV series.Rate this recipe:
- 6 hours
- Serves 6
- For the base:
- 300g Pecans or Almonds
- 1 tsp, Pink Himalayan Salt
- 200g, medjool dates
- For the filling:
- Blend the flesh of 4 medium, ripe avocados
- 150g Virgin coconut oil
- Beans of 2 whole vanilla pods
- 200g raw cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- 300g coconut blossom sugar or agave nectar to taste.
In a food processor, blend the pecans or almonds (Preferably, soak them for around 6 hours and then dehydrate them. The soaking releases the enzyme inhibitors and makes them easier to digest)
Then add the Pink Himalayan salt or another good quality salt. To this, add the Fresh medjool dates. Blend until you have a ‘dough’, or until the mix forms a ball.
Press this mixture into the bottom of a mould. Cover in cling film and leave to harden in the freezer till you are ready to pour on the filling. I like to use a silicone mould. They are freezer safe and easy to get the tart out once it has set.
Blend your filling ingredients until smooth, and then pour onto the base.
Set in the freezer for 1 hour. Then it should be firm enough to slice up. Top with fresh berries, edible flowers, a dusting of cacao powder- whatever takes your fancy and whatever looks pretty!
made this - it's excellent. have been into leslie kenton's raw food for a while now so was delighted to see hugh addressing raw food in his series. made a small version with a quarter of the ingredients in a loaf tin and served thin slices, would be good for about 6 people as it's very intense. used creamed coconut instead of oil. I didn't soak the nuts. unfortunately made my hand blender smoke using the mini chopper to do the dates and pecans together. have used the hand blender attachment every day for nuts and seeds without problems before, i guess the stickiness of the dates was too much for it and i should have done it in the big food processor. any tips welcome, would soaking the dates first in hot water help?
am disappointed that the agave nector is worse than sugar, would honey work?
This is a great recipe, delicious, easy and somewhat healthy.
Steer clear of the agave nectar. It is worse for you than high fructose corn syrup.
I went out and bought the agave nectar to make it (couldn't find the coconut blossom sugar) and was devestated when I found out what I had served my family!
Just add white sugar instead. It will taste great and won't cause all the associated health issues.
I would also love to know how much agave to use. Any advice would be great, then I can start making this wonderful looking cake! :)
I've just made this and it's amazing. Does anyone know if it would be ok to freeze it?
OMG that is one MF super duper rich cake!!!
Great recipe but unclear with recipe amounts/descriptions. Agave is a liquid, not solid, so what's the equivalent amount in ml, if I don't want to use sugar? And as for 'beans of vanilla pods' does this mean the seeds? Sorry, but description could be clearer. Otherwise thanks. Good to see recipes not promoting exclusive use of white sugar in desserts, which I find depressing. I am not diabetic but feel processed sugar is entirely toxic.
this is the most expensive cake i have ever made, but it was delicious and quick. i didn't soak the pecans but i followed everything else in the recipe, however, i'm not sure if the vanilla seeds gave it anything as it was so chocolaty. the coconut oil had no bearing on the taste either.
beware, it is a very very rich cake and you can only eat slivers of it. i had a party with 6 adults and 4 children, only 1/3 got ate because of the richness of it.
i would definitely make this again but with half the ingredients and probably in a terrine shape so you could serve slices without it looking mean! whizzing together such a great tasting cake in such a short space of time is definitely worth while
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Manchester Tart By: yarnsbaby
- Merry Berry Winter Drink. By: PeteMcGill
- Raspberry tarts By: HughFW
- Peach and Lavender Tart By: splitpin
- Cinnamon Bun-cake By: RiverCottageHQ
- Herbed Dumplings By: Every Day
- Lemon Tart By: River Cottage to the Core
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Cheese straws By: RiverCottageHQ
- Simple White Loaf By: Every Day
- Jerusalem Artichoke tart By: Passionate Foodie
- Tourte de blettes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Lavender cream and Tyberry tart By: Mrs B
- Leek & Dorset Blue Vinny Tart By: Every Day
- Tomato and red pepper tartlets with basil pastry By: Merlyn
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- BABY LEEK AND GRUYERE TART By: HughFW
- Blackberries, apple, cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hot-Smoked Salmon and Spicy Beetroot Tart By: Nick J Bennett
- Parmisan Spinach and ricotta Tarts By: Clear View Allotment
- White chocolate and any berry muffins. By: Haly
- spinach tart By: Claretty
- Fig & Almond Tart By: david_williams
- Cherry tart By: HughFW
- Apple and dried fruit tart By: rhonda lillian
- Basic bread recipe By: RiverCottageHQ
- Apricot almond bake (wheat free) By: lindsayhoyermillar
- Prune Tart By: Globi
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- L.E.’s Tomato Soufflé Tart By: mummifiedartist
- Cherry and Chocolate Tart By: River Cottage to the Core
- Butternut Squash & Cranberry rolls By: Neil Drummond
- Beetroot and onion pizza By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Beet top (or chard) and ricotta tart By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- PEA AND LETTUCE TART By: HughFW
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Chris Massamba’s Raw Samosas. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Caledonian Forest Tart By: riquisimo
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Recipe for Coronation Curry sauce (Vegan) By: somersetchef
- Oregano Flower and Cheese Tarts By: Mrs B
- Blueberry galette By: HughFW