Love it! Nothing like putting something in the lunch bucket for the people you love.
Practically any stew will do for this, but particularly good are the oxtail stew with cinnamon and star anise, rabbit ragù and the pot-roast pheasant with chorizo, butter beans and parsley. If you don’t have enough stew left for the filling, you could also add some leftover cooked vegetables, such as diced potatoes or carrots or shredded greens, or a handful of cooked beans or other pulses.Rate this recipe:
- 15 minutes
- 25 minutes
- * 500g rough puff pastry
- * About 450g cold leftover stew
- * 1 medium egg lightly beaten with 1 tsp milk, for glazing
1. For the filling, drain off any excess juices from the stew so that the meat and veg are just lightly coated in gravy. Take any large chunks of meat or veg and chop them up roughly before stirring back together. Taste the stew and make sure it’s seasoned to your liking. Leave to cool completely.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to about 3mm thick. Using a plate or a cake tin as a template, cut out four 20cm circles; you may have to gather up the trimmings and re-roll them to get your fourth circle.
3. Spoon the stew on to one half of each circle. Brush the pastry edges with water, fold the other half of the pastry over the filling to form a half-moon shape and crimp well to seal.
4. Place the pasties on a lightly oiled baking sheet and brush the tops with beaten egg. Bake in an oven preheated to 190°C/Gas Mark 5 for about 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Eat warm or cold.
Soooooo easy! And a great way to use leftover stew... yummy :)
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Chris Massamba’s Raw Samosas. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Lamb and cherry pasty By: River Cottage to the Core
- Smoked Ham Hock, Haggis & Goose Terrine By: somersetchef
- Cheese straws By: RiverCottageHQ
- Slow Cooker Sausage Stew with tomato and white beans By: SamFire
- Molasses Apple Tart with Rye Crust By: notjustapples
- MY HEALTHY & OHSOHANDY OIL PASTRY By: posh(nosh)
- Mixed Mushroom Tart By: Winter's on the way
- Brunswick Stew By: dmcp
- Mulberry pork stew By: aleksander
- Tomato and red pepper tartlets with basil pastry By: Merlyn
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Gill's apples, shortcrust pastry and almonds By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Chicken, leek and plum pie By: River Cottage to the Core
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Beetroot and onion pizza By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Curried fish pie By: Every Day
- Cherry and Chocolate Tart By: River Cottage to the Core
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Spicy Asian Green Veg By: lollypop1989
- Recipe for Guinea Fowl & Black Pudding Scotch Egg By: somersetchef
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Beef in stout By: River Cottage Meat
- Pot Au Feu By: Winter's on the way
- Broccoli Leaves & Bacon Flan By: tamara
- No added sugar childrens mince pies By: Halff Charity
- Tourte de blettes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- LOIN OF PORK on a bed of BUBBLE & SQUEAK with APPLE & PLUM SAUCES By: astridges
- Italian Style Beef Stew with Basil Dumplings By: rhubarbrhubarb
- Spinach & thyme pasties By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Provencal courgette gratin By: ann1
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Lemon Tart By: River Cottage to the Core
- Leek & Dorset Blue Vinny Tart By: Every Day
- Mozarella ravioli with veg By: Gillee
- Potato rosti By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Velvet Chicken Pie By: FoodslashTech
- Rabbit Stew By: River Cottage Meat
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples