Okay, on Sunday you have a great roast dinner with some kind of roast meat, Chicken, Beef, Lamb, Pork etc - In our house there are only two of us, so there is always plenty of meat left over. This recipe will work with any meat really but chicken is what we will use. As well as using the bones for making chicken stock, there is loads of good meat leftover to make another meal. Just place the leftover chicken in the fridge until the next day (keep well away from any raw meat) pick all the good meat from the chicken and place in a container for use later.Rate this recipe:
- 1 Onion - Chopped
- 2 Spring Onions - De-rooted and chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic - Peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Fresh Jalapeno Chillis or 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Tsp Tandoori Spice
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic salt or normal salt
- 1 Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- Handful of Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1/4 Pint Double Cream
If you haven't already, pick the meat off the chicken and place in a container for use later.
Chop the Onion, Spring Onions and Garlic, If you are using fresh chillis, de-seed and finely chop these now (I ran out of fresh chilli so will use the chilli powder instead.) Keep the Bay leaves whole.
Get a wok or deep sided frying pan and heat a little olive oil, Add the chopped ingredients and the two whole bay leaves to the pan and fry until golden brown. If you're using fresh chillis add these now.
Move the chopped ingredients to the side of the pan. Add the Garam Masala, Ground Coriander, Ground Turmeric, Tandoori Spice and Garlic salt, add the chilli powder now if you're not using fresh chillis. Add a sprinkle more oil if it looks too dry.
Stir the spices into the chopped ingredients until nicely coated and a lovely brown.
Once fully coated we can now add the chicken, the reason we add it now and not before is so we still have a little chicken flavour and it isn't overpowered by the spices.
Heat the chicken through and stir to give a little of the spice coating, we still want a little spicy flavour to cling to the chicken but not as much as the onions. Once cooked through the chicken should be a nice golden brown.
At this point we add the chopped tomatoes stir in well and lower the heat a little - Simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce the liquid from the tomatoes and to let the flavours mingle.
Up the heat and add the fresh coriander leaves - we don't want these to wilt and go black. They add such fresh flavour to this curry, just quickly mix in.
At this point (if you prefer a low fat/Healthy version of this recipe) you could serve as is without adding the last ingredient.
For that authentic taste we need to add one last ingredient - The double cream, it isn't necessary to make a nice curry, but it really does make that creamy, spicy mix, it cools the spices a little and makes for a more flavoursome authentic curry.
Make a well in the centre of the curry and pour the double cream in the centre. allow to simmer a little then mix in well. To add a little more colour to your finished curry sprinkle a little more Turmeric and Tandoori Spice and a quick stir and serve.
Serve steamy hot on a bed of rice with a cool beer.
- Chicken kiev with wild garlic butter By: Three Go Mad
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Chicken Stock By: Every Day
- Quick Chicken And Sage Spaghetti By: Mrs B
- Chicken and mushroom casserole with cider By: Every Day
- Slow-roast Beef Brisket & Roasted Sirloin By: Winter's on the way
- Disley's Masala (Disala) By: Disley
- Chicken, leek and plum pie By: River Cottage to the Core
- Recipe for Coronation Curry sauce (Vegan) By: somersetchef
- Hugh's chicken, tomatoes and tarragon By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Baked Chicken Curry By: Every Day
- NASE GORENG à la La Perla By: Globi
- Curry Chicken By: nuris
- Herb Crusted Chicken By: jonnyH
- Butter Chicken By: cabrioler
- Butternut squash and cashew nut roast By: HarrietJames
- Somerset style Chicken Wings (N) By Jean-Paul De Ronne By: somersetchef
- Virginia's Sri Lankan Egg Curry By: LizardM
- Hugh's kale, chicken stock and spaghetti By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pilaw with chicken and carrots By: babure
- west indian goat curry By: goatladynubian
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Spicy Vegetable Crumble By: A16AdamWalker
- Cambodian wedding day dip. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chicken stew By: swarez
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Salt Chicken By: Georgee
- Green Chicken Tikka By: KTB
- Courgette-stuffed chicken By: shmen7
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Brunswick Stew By: dmcp
- Squashed Chicken and Roasties By: Ovengloves
- Rabbit Madras By: Winter's on the way
- Chicken Cacciatore By: Milburn
- Curried fish pie By: Every Day
- Chicken Liver Pate with pistachio (will also suit rabbit, duck, pheasant livers) By: Bungling Bee Boy
- Chicken & Winter Vegetable Soup By: caregrow
- Tim's lemon trickle mash cake By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Chicken Pizza By: mwperry
- Coronation Chicken with Blueberries and Almonds By: River Cottage to the Core
- Noodle fry-up By: zsybportl
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Egg & Spinach Curry By: Every Day
- Chicken stuffed with basil, pinenuts and sundried tomatoes By: Kristy
- my best cassoulet By: green fingers
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Hugh's Herby Barbecued Chicken By: Every Day
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Chicken Out, of this recipie if you Dare! By: Gray and Shell
- Chickpea ketchup curry By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Achocha Curry By: SandEdge
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Roast chicken terrine (the ultimate in 'bonus' leftovers!) By: TheSausageJockey
- Pate By: Georgee
- Velvet Chicken Pie By: FoodslashTech
- Brussels sprout curry. By: toddie
- Liz's Thai stew By: LizardM
- Roast Chicken Soup By: ncook
- Chard & new potato curry By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Turkey-au-vin & Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast By: Winter's on the way
- Sam's chicken, mushroom and blue cheese By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day