If you watch the episode of 3 Good Things that this recipe comes from, you would understand how it works.
Guest chef Lisa Allen's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks, taken from Hugh's Three Good Things on More4. Hugh's recognised a simple pattern that underpins so many well-loved dishes – that they are little more or less than three good things on a plate and in this series, he pursues that idea, experimenting with different flavours and textures.Rate this recipe:
- 30 mins
- 1 hr
- 1.2 kg chicken, wish bone removed
- 600g salt
- 2 egg whites
- ½ lemon
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- ½ bulb of garlic
- 2 large potatoes eg Maris Piper
- 2 tbls soft butter
- 4 baby leeks
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- golden caster sugar
Preheat an oven to 190C
Peel and cut the potatoes in to even chunks. Loosen the chicken skin from the flesh at the back of the chicken, where the wish bone was.
Place the lemon, thyme, garlic and potatoes in to the cavity of the chicken. Rub soft butter under the skin of the chicken and season with black pepper. Tie the legs of the chicken with string to stop anything falling out. Mix the salt and egg whites together until a thick white paste is formed.
Place the chicken on to a tray lined with baking paper then completely and evenly coat the chicken with the salt mix. Place in to the oven at 190c for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, trim the tops off the baby leeks (reserving for later) and slice the baby leeks in half length-ways.
Bring a pan of water the boil with a pinch of salt and pinch and sugar in.
Boil the leeks until tender. Finely shred the leek tops and place in a bowl of cold water with ice to curl up. Remove the cooked chicken from the oven and leave to rest for around 15 minutes on a cooling rack (keep the remaining juices).
Once the chicken has rested, crack away the salt. Place the potatoes from the chicken into a pan and crush with the back of a fork. Add a knob of butter and season with salt. Stir in the cooked leeks.
Reduce the chicken juices in a pan over a high heat. Once thickened slightly taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
Joint the chicken, slicing the breast.
To serve, put a good helping of potatoes on to a plate, add chicken, and spoon over the chicken juices. Garnish with the shredded leek tops and serve.
This recipe is one of hundreds of new recipes which can be found in the book which inspired the series, Hugh's Three Good Things.
- Challenge Hugh and win a £2,000 River Cottage bundle
- Want more? Go to Hugh's Scrapbook at Channel 4
- Save 20% on River Cottage courses and events using the promotion code 'RECIPES' offer ends Monday 19 November 2012
regarding the chicken recipe again; I have never heard of adding sugar to water for cooking leak tops since leak tops turns up sweet natually with little sea salt added to its boiling water or simply sweated in a lump of butter.
please excuse the typing errors above as I am lying on my bed and one finger typing.
This is a bizare chicken recipe with missing cooling flare and difficult to follow. I have never heard any one else stuffing a chicken with potatoe. A common cooking sense will tell you that even though potaoe goes well with chicken as side dish but it is never never stuffing ingredient for chicken. It ia also vert ubclear as to why two whte eggs and a guge 600g salt are mixed and used to coat the chicken. how one is meant to consume this extraordinary misture once the poor chicken is cooked or rather hashed up.
- side dish By: serena
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Mussels, leeks, cider By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Chicken and mushroom casserole with cider By: Every Day
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Somerset style Chicken Wings (N) By Jean-Paul De Ronne By: somersetchef
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Lewy's Left Over Chicken Curry By: lewy
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Chicken Out, of this recipie if you Dare! By: Gray and Shell
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Velvet Chicken Pie By: FoodslashTech
- Chicken Liver Pate with pistachio (will also suit rabbit, duck, pheasant livers) By: Bungling Bee Boy
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Chicken stew By: swarez
- Squashed Chicken and Roasties By: Ovengloves
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Chicken & Winter Vegetable Soup By: caregrow
- Chicken stuffed with basil, pinenuts and sundried tomatoes By: Kristy
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Sam's chicken, mushroom and blue cheese By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Baked Chicken Curry By: Every Day
- Chicken, leek and plum pie By: River Cottage to the Core
- Roast Chicken Soup By: ncook
- Salt Chicken By: Georgee
- Chicken Cacciatore By: Milburn
- Brunswick Stew By: dmcp
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Liz's Thai stew By: LizardM
- Chicken Stock By: Every Day
- Chicken kiev with wild garlic butter By: Three Go Mad
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Courgette-stuffed chicken By: shmen7
- Green Chicken Tikka By: KTB
- Hugh's chicken, tomatoes and tarragon By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Chicken Pizza By: mwperry
- my best cassoulet By: green fingers
- Roast chicken terrine (the ultimate in 'bonus' leftovers!) By: TheSausageJockey
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's mussels, leeks and cider By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Quick Chicken And Sage Spaghetti By: Mrs B
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Curry Chicken By: nuris
- Pilaw with chicken and carrots By: babure
- Hugh's kale, chicken stock and spaghetti By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Disley's Masala (Disala) By: Disley
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Hugh's Herby Barbecued Chicken By: Every Day
- Coronation Chicken with Blueberries and Almonds By: River Cottage to the Core
- Herb Crusted Chicken By: jonnyH
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Pate By: Georgee
- Leeks (and greens) with coconut milk By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- NASE GORENG à la La Perla By: Globi
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day