If you watch the episode of 3 Good Things that this recipe comes from, you would understand how it works.
Guest chef Lisa Allen's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks, taken from Hugh's Three Good Things on More4. Hugh's recognised a simple pattern that underpins so many well-loved dishes – that they are little more or less than three good things on a plate and in this series, he pursues that idea, experimenting with different flavours and textures.Rate this recipe:
- 30 mins
- 1 hr
- 1.2 kg chicken, wish bone removed
- 600g salt
- 2 egg whites
- ½ lemon
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- ½ bulb of garlic
- 2 large potatoes eg Maris Piper
- 2 tbls soft butter
- 4 baby leeks
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- golden caster sugar
Preheat an oven to 190C
Peel and cut the potatoes in to even chunks. Loosen the chicken skin from the flesh at the back of the chicken, where the wish bone was.
Place the lemon, thyme, garlic and potatoes in to the cavity of the chicken. Rub soft butter under the skin of the chicken and season with black pepper. Tie the legs of the chicken with string to stop anything falling out. Mix the salt and egg whites together until a thick white paste is formed.
Place the chicken on to a tray lined with baking paper then completely and evenly coat the chicken with the salt mix. Place in to the oven at 190c for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, trim the tops off the baby leeks (reserving for later) and slice the baby leeks in half length-ways.
Bring a pan of water the boil with a pinch of salt and pinch and sugar in.
Boil the leeks until tender. Finely shred the leek tops and place in a bowl of cold water with ice to curl up. Remove the cooked chicken from the oven and leave to rest for around 15 minutes on a cooling rack (keep the remaining juices).
Once the chicken has rested, crack away the salt. Place the potatoes from the chicken into a pan and crush with the back of a fork. Add a knob of butter and season with salt. Stir in the cooked leeks.
Reduce the chicken juices in a pan over a high heat. Once thickened slightly taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
Joint the chicken, slicing the breast.
To serve, put a good helping of potatoes on to a plate, add chicken, and spoon over the chicken juices. Garnish with the shredded leek tops and serve.
This recipe is one of hundreds of new recipes which can be found in the book which inspired the series, Hugh's Three Good Things.
- Challenge Hugh and win a £2,000 River Cottage bundle
- Want more? Go to Hugh's Scrapbook at Channel 4
- Save 20% on River Cottage courses and events using the promotion code 'RECIPES' offer ends Monday 19 November 2012
regarding the chicken recipe again; I have never heard of adding sugar to water for cooking leak tops since leak tops turns up sweet natually with little sea salt added to its boiling water or simply sweated in a lump of butter.
please excuse the typing errors above as I am lying on my bed and one finger typing.
This is a bizare chicken recipe with missing cooling flare and difficult to follow. I have never heard any one else stuffing a chicken with potatoe. A common cooking sense will tell you that even though potaoe goes well with chicken as side dish but it is never never stuffing ingredient for chicken. It ia also vert ubclear as to why two whte eggs and a guge 600g salt are mixed and used to coat the chicken. how one is meant to consume this extraordinary misture once the poor chicken is cooked or rather hashed up.
- Chicken kiev with wild garlic butter By: Three Go Mad
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Salt Chicken By: Georgee
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Pate By: Georgee
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- Velvet Chicken Pie By: FoodslashTech
- Courgette-stuffed chicken By: shmen7
- Herb Crusted Chicken By: jonnyH
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's kale, chicken stock and spaghetti By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chicken Out, of this recipie if you Dare! By: Gray and Shell
- Disley's Masala (Disala) By: Disley
- Baked Chicken Curry By: Every Day
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's Herby Barbecued Chicken By: Every Day
- side dish By: serena
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Mussels, leeks, cider By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Quick Chicken And Sage Spaghetti By: Mrs B
- my best cassoulet By: green fingers
- Chicken Stock By: Every Day
- Sam's chicken, mushroom and blue cheese By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Leeks (and greens) with coconut milk By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chicken stew By: swarez
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Three-root mash By: Every Day
- Hugh's chicken, tomatoes and tarragon By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's mussels, leeks and cider By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Roast Chicken Soup By: ncook
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Kid chops with tomatoes and olives By: River Cottage HQ
- Somerset style Chicken Wings (N) By Jean-Paul De Ronne By: somersetchef
- Jack's spring pizza By: River Cottage HQ
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Chicken stuffed with basil, pinenuts and sundried tomatoes By: Kristy
- NASE GORENG à la La Perla By: Globi
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Liz's Thai stew By: LizardM
- Lewy's Left Over Chicken Curry By: lewy
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Roast chicken terrine (the ultimate in 'bonus' leftovers!) By: TheSausageJockey
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Chicken, leek and plum pie By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Chicken Cacciatore By: Milburn
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Curry Chicken By: nuris
- Pilaw with chicken and carrots By: babure
- Chicken Pizza By: mwperry
- Squashed Chicken and Roasties By: Ovengloves
- Brunswick Stew By: dmcp
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Chicken and mushroom casserole with cider By: Every Day
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Chicken & Winter Vegetable Soup By: caregrow
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Green Chicken Tikka By: KTB
- Coronation Chicken with Blueberries and Almonds By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Chicken Liver Pate with pistachio (will also suit rabbit, duck, pheasant livers) By: Bungling Bee Boy
- Three-root boulangère By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad