Looks pretty tasty!
Not only for taste and texture, this is a dish that looks brilliant on the plate! It’s a favourite of mine for a dinner party. The marinade has a slightly oriental flavouring but you can always adjust this to suit your own preference.Rate this recipe:
- 40 mins
- 25 mins
- Loin of Pork (x 4 boned and cut, 1.5 cm thick rashers )
- 8 tbl spns of soy sauce (salted)
- 2 tbl spns of vegetable oil
- 1 lime squeezed (a lemon will be ok).
- 2 red chili peppers (seeds & white linings removed) cut cross way
- in narrow strips
- 2 tbl spns brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic (thinly sliced) –
- 2 inches of root ginger (peeled & thinly sliced)
- BUBBLE & SQUEAK
- 500g mashed potatoes
- 1/4 of a savoy cabbage chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- salt and pepper
- 25g butter
- oil for frying
- (for added colour, taste and texture a good handful of peas can also be included)
- BRAMLEY APPLE SAUCE
- 450g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped.
- 25g butter
- A little soft brown sugar to taste.
- Cloudy apple juice
- RED PLUM SAUCE
- 350g red desert plums. Halved / stones removed.
- 150 ml water
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbls sherry
Bash out a good size piece for each serving so that it’s about 1 cms thick and 18cms long. As well as tenderising the meat it will also help in crispening the edges when it’s cooked.
Combine the marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly until the sugar has dissolved.
Marinade the meat for a couple of hour or so.
BUBBLE & SQUEAK
Fry the onion in a little oil until clear
Boil the cabbage for 20 mins. Drain and cool
Boil the potatoes until just soft enough to mash – work in the butter, ensuring that the mix is still fairly firm.
Mix the cabbage / mash / onions and season to taste.
Next, form the mixture into cakes about an inch thick, 8cms wide and about 18cms long.
These will need to be fried for about ten minutes each side in a little oil – making sure that they don’t break up! A little crispy browning on the surface is ideal. You will need to time the cooking so that it’s ready to serve with the meat.
BRAMLEY APPLE SAUCE
Place apples / butter in a saucepan. Add 2 tbsp of water / 1 tbls apple juice.
Cook gently (about 10 mins) until soft enough to pur�e. For this I think a blender is essential to get the desired smooth consistence for the dish. Ideally the consistency needs to be that of thin yoghurt. To achieve the right level, more apple juice can be added a little at a time.
NB. The apple sauce can be prepared in advance and reheated a minute or two before serving.
RED PLUM SAUCE
Place plums / water in a saucepan. Boil gently, cover / simmer / stir until soft. Allow to cool then blend until smooth.
Now mix in the rest of the ingredients. Matching the same consistency of the apple sauce is important to the success of the dish.
The sauce can then be gently reheated just before serving.
PORK LOIN RASHERS
Cook under a hot grill in the same fashion as bacon, ie for 3 – 4 minutes each side – the idea being to keep the meat tender but with some crispy bits around the edges. Alternatively the meat can be seared quickly in a frying pan and finished off under the grill.
PLATING THE DISH
Warm the plates in advance.
Lay the bubble & squeak cakes down the centre of the plate (creating a complete dividing wall for the two sauces) and place the pork on the top. Now pour the apple sauce on one side and the plum sauce on the other... ensuring that there are not drips on the edges of thee plate!
And there you have it!
This recipe is brought to you by Paul Astridge of Astridges Devon Hog Roasts. We are experts in roasting pork and lamb. We cater for events such as gigs, parties and weddings. Give us a call on 01392 490459 to see what we can do for you!
Trying this tonight with some minor/local adaptations!
- Hugh's cabbage, avocado and lentils By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Kiwi Boilup - All in One Meal By: Purplegoanna
- Mulberry pork stew By: aleksander
- Bubble & Squeal By: River Cottage HQ
- Sauerkraut By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Sticky Glazed Pork With Swiss Chard and Braised Leeks By: SFG
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Chorizo By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Hot-smoked pork tenderloin By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Home Cured Bacon By: Mertyns
- Red cabbage, parsnip, orange and date salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sophie Wright's pear, pork and celeriac By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast thick end of pork belly with coriander & fennel crackling By: One Day at River Cottage
- Roast Pork Stuffed with Gooseberries and Black Pudding By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Chris Massamba’s Raw Samosas. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- baked butternut squash mash By: lb1
- BEETLE JUICE!!! By: andyholmes
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Slow cooked chinese pork By: Kate35
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Scallops With Mushy Squash By: Winter's on the way
- BARBECUED GLAZED SPARE RIBS By: River Cottage Meat
- Hot Smoked Boar Loin By: River Cottage Christmas!
- Cabbage recipie to die for! By: Gray and Shell
- Recipe for Guinea Fowl & Black Pudding Scotch Egg By: somersetchef
- Tim Maddam's pasta, sausage and cabbage By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Cabbage and Chorizo Soup By: Haly
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- cider the cheap way By: DREADSKIN
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Gill's Chinese Ribs By: gillM
- Boudin Noir By: River Cottage Cookbook
- Usey-Up Fishcakes By: FairiesforChange
- Best ribs, this side of the Atlantic! By: naylorj1
- Strawberry Thickie By: River Cottage summers here
- Smoked Ham Hock, Haggis & Goose Terrine By: somersetchef
- Pickled Pigs Feet By: Haddy
- Leftover lamb and spelt salad By: River Cottage summers here
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Slow Cook Malay Spiced Pork By: Sass
- Student Pork Poppers By: A16AdamWalker
- Gurnard Parcels In Asian Spices By: Every Day
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Leftover lamb and spelt salad By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Apple and pork patties By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi