Hello, looks yummy but what can I do if I don't have access to various types of oatmeal? In Norway we only find precooked oat flakes... (it would probably work too). thanks. :)
This crumble topping uses oats and fine oatmeal, so it’s wheat-free. You can use it on top of other fruits – try peeled, cored and sliced apple, tossed with sugar, sultanas and cinnamon (or blackberries, see page 26), or stoned and quartered plums, trickled with a little maple syrup.Rate this recipe:
- 15 min
- 45 min
- 6 adult servings
- For the crumble topping
- 125g fine oatmeal
- 125g porridge oats (not jumbo)
- 100g cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 65g demerara sugar
- For the fruit
- 750g rhubarb, trimmed
- Juice of 1 orange, or
- about 75ml apple juice
- 50g caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
To make the crumble topping, put the oatmeal, oats and butter in a food processor and pulse briefly until the butter is worked into the oatmeal and the mixture resembles fine crumbs – don’t overdo it, or it will start to clump together too much. Tip into a bowl and stir in the demerara sugar.
Wash the rhubarb and cut it into 1–2cm pieces. Spread it in an ovenproof dish (about a 2 litre capacity). Squeeze the orange juice over it, or sprinkle on the apple juice, then evenly scatter over the caster sugar. This amount of sugar should be fine for new season, forced rhubarb – the slender-stemmed, bright pink stuff. If you’re using robust, outdoor-grown rhubarb later in the year, you might need a little more.
Spoon the oaty topping over the rhubarb in an even layer. Bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbling underneath. Serve hot, warm or cold with cream, yoghurt or custard.
Freezer Friendly, Make up a double or triple quantity of the topping mixture and freeze the excess for use later on.
For babies: You can mash the crumble – perhaps loosening with a little cream – to make it easier for a younger baby to eat from a spoon.
- Pinhead Oatmeal By: Winter's on the way
- Frittata By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage summers here
- Rhubarb, ginger, cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Oatmeal Ginger Parkin By: notjustapples
- Hugh's mackerel, oatmeal, rhubarb By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Cumberland Rhubarb Jam By: kate dose green stuff
- Foolproof crème brûlée By: Every Day
- Dog bone biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- River Cottage yoghurt with granola and rhubarb By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Rhubarb ice lollies By: River Cottage summers here
- Early rhubarb jam By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Rhubarb Fool By: Webteam
- Ploughman's with quick rhubarb pickle By: River Cottage to the Core
- Rhubarb Compote By: Every Day
- Hugh's goat's cheesecake with gooseberry compote By: River Cottage summers here
- Summer Plum Pudding By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Rhubarb and orange yoghurt fool By: Every Day
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Rhubarb and Ginger Cheesecake By: River Cottage to the Core
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage to the Core
- Apple and Walnut Crumble By: Every Day
- Spicy Vegetable Crumble By: A16AdamWalker
- Honey-baked rhubarb By: Every Day
- Lentils with onion & watercress By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Vegetarian Haggis By: LucyEigg