I made this cake a couple of times and it always came out so flat. I've just seen the episode again and the above ingredients are half the amount as on the show! Will be making it again but this time doubling it! Yum!
A scrumptious and gooey pear and almond cake. Delicious served warm with clotted cream - or cold!Rate this recipe:
- 40 - 50 minutes
- • 150g unsalted butter, softened
- • 125g caster sugar
- • 2 medium eggs
- • 75g wholemeal self raising flour
- • 75g ground almonds
- • A good pinch of cinnamon
- For the caramelised pears:
- • 3 pears (reasonably firm, but not rock hard)
- • 25g unsalted butter
- • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
This was so easy to make and really delicious - my husband and kids loved it! Thank you River Cottage.
I agree - this is one of the best cakes I've made. I did make some small changes - I added toasted almonds to the cake mix and almond essence plus a splash of milk as the mixture seemed a bit stiff. I also added the toasted almonds to the pears which produced the most amazing topping.
I've made this cake a couple of times. It's so easy and really tasty. I definitely recommend giving this cake a go.
My sister's partner made this - it's awsome!!
My attempt of this recipe - http://akmagnolia.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/caramelized-pear-cake/ . One of my best cakes ever.
Having watched the repeat at the weekend, I've just made this cake - I baked it for an extra 10 mins (I have a naff electric oven) - I also added a good slug of almond essence to the mix to bring the almond alive, and I also sprinkled some flaked almonds into the bottom of the cake tin, before putting the mixture in. When you turn it out upside down, the flaked almonds give it a better look, and added crunch. The mixture seemed quite thick, so in anticipation, I poked the pears well under the mix to make sure they didn't stay sitting on top. The proof of the pudding will be in a few hours! Yum!
I adore this cake - I usually make it with apples and it always turns out beautifully- the biggest problem is that when you are cooking the apples in the sugar and butter you have to make double as they are too good to leave alone - even better with a sprinkle of cinnamon!
i love this cake ;-) cant wait to make it again soon.
just made the almond and pear cake earlier taday and it was fabulous, followed the recipe to the letter and came out really well, however would recommend that the almonds be not too ground as i couldnt get them today and had to improvise with bashed flaked almonds and the added texture elevated the whole dish.
- Mulled Pears By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE FOR ONE By: penguinpotty
- Hugh's Pear and Celeriac Stuffing By: River Cottage Christmas Fayre
- Grandma's Fruit Cake By: peterr
- Marrow Cake By: Amac1962
- Angel cakes By: misscookingheart
- Lemon and Almond Butter By: Luth
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Christmas Cake By: Georgee
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Apricot almond bake (wheat free) By: lindsayhoyermillar
- Ginger, Lemon & Biscuit Cakes By: cj82
- Cider Fruit Cake By: marcuscabot5
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- Courgette cake By: rgbargie
- Basil chocolate cake By: kim.lightbody
- Spiced Apple Pie Cake By: RJDTYE
- Yummy - Scrummy chocolate chip coffee cake By: lillyshak
- Chunky Prune, Fig & Apricot Cake By: Every Day
- Hugh’s fresh cherry cake with streusel topping By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage to the Core
- Apple and Walnut Crumble By: Every Day
- Chocolate Courgette Cake By: paulamartin
- Courgette and Lime Cake By: spawnee
- Genoese Sponge Cake By: Every Day
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- chocolate Christmas cake By: cristal666
- Coffee and walnut cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Chunky fig, apricot and prune cake By: Every Day
- Gill's honey cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Blackberry soaked cake By: River Cottage to the Core
- Carrot Cake with Cashew Nut Icing By: Maytime
- Spicy Marrow Cake By: notjustapples
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Yummy 5 - minute chocolate Cake By: lillyshak
- Grape muffins By: Eatmania
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese (focaccia) By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Lemon Trickle Cake By: HughFW
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Oatmeal Ginger Parkin By: notjustapples