I've made this a few times now with pears or apples and it's so delicious. Great recipe!
A scrumptious and gooey pear and almond cake. Delicious served warm with clotted cream - or cold!Rate this recipe:
- 40 - 50 minutes
- • 150g unsalted butter, softened
- • 125g caster sugar
- • 2 medium eggs
- • 75g wholemeal self raising flour
- • 75g ground almonds
- • A good pinch of cinnamon
- For the caramelised pears:
- • 3 pears (reasonably firm, but not rock hard)
- • 25g unsalted butter
- • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
Everyone agreed this was best cake I've made, I followed recipe very carefully (am usually bit slap dash!) and used lovely ripe pears. A great Sunday cake!
I agree with the last comment. The ingredients when this recipe was first put on the sight were double the amount. I have it printed and it works great like that.
I made this cake a couple of times and it always came out so flat. I've just seen the episode again and the above ingredients are half the amount as on the show! Will be making it again but this time doubling it! Yum!
This was so easy to make and really delicious - my husband and kids loved it! Thank you River Cottage.
I agree - this is one of the best cakes I've made. I did make some small changes - I added toasted almonds to the cake mix and almond essence plus a splash of milk as the mixture seemed a bit stiff. I also added the toasted almonds to the pears which produced the most amazing topping.
I've made this cake a couple of times. It's so easy and really tasty. I definitely recommend giving this cake a go.
My sister's partner made this - it's awsome!!
My attempt of this recipe - http://akmagnolia.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/caramelized-pear-cake/ . One of my best cakes ever.
Having watched the repeat at the weekend, I've just made this cake - I baked it for an extra 10 mins (I have a naff electric oven) - I also added a good slug of almond essence to the mix to bring the almond alive, and I also sprinkled some flaked almonds into the bottom of the cake tin, before putting the mixture in. When you turn it out upside down, the flaked almonds give it a better look, and added crunch. The mixture seemed quite thick, so in anticipation, I poked the pears well under the mix to make sure they didn't stay sitting on top. The proof of the pudding will be in a few hours! Yum!
- chocolate Christmas cake By: cristal666
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chunky fig, apricot and prune cake By: Every Day
- Genoese Sponge Cake By: Every Day
- Mulled Pears By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Oatmeal Ginger Parkin By: notjustapples
- Basil chocolate cake By: kim.lightbody
- Ginger, Lemon & Biscuit Cakes By: cj82
- Spicy Marrow Cake By: notjustapples
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Chocolate Courgette Cake By: paulamartin
- Apricot almond bake (wheat free) By: lindsayhoyermillar
- Lemon Trickle Cake By: HughFW
- Yummy 5 - minute chocolate Cake By: lillyshak
- Chocolate pear cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Courgette cake By: rgbargie
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Gill's honey cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE FOR ONE By: penguinpotty
- Grandma's Fruit Cake By: peterr
- Hugh’s fresh cherry cake with streusel topping By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Hugh's Pear and Celeriac Stuffing By: River Cottage Christmas Fayre
- Spiced Apple Pie Cake By: RJDTYE
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- Courgette and Lime Cake By: spawnee
- Coffee and walnut cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Cider Fruit Cake By: marcuscabot5
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Marrow Cake By: Amac1962
- Christmas Cake By: Georgee
- Carrot Cake with Cashew Nut Icing By: Maytime
- Pear and chocolate cobbler By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Fig and Walnut Bread By: River Cottage HQ
- Grape muffins By: Eatmania
- Angel cakes By: misscookingheart
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Chunky Prune, Fig & Apricot Cake By: Every Day
- Blackberry soaked cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Lemon and Almond Butter By: Luth
- Yummy - Scrummy chocolate chip coffee cake By: lillyshak
- Apple and Walnut Crumble By: Every Day
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese (focaccia) By: Hugh's Three Good Things