I just started making this cake and realised that I don't have any almonds (ground, flaked or whole) in the house! What can I use instead as a substitute??
A scrumptious and gooey pear and almond cake. Delicious served warm with clotted cream - or cold!Rate this recipe:
- 40 - 50 minutes
- • 150g unsalted butter, softened
- • 125g caster sugar
- • 2 medium eggs
- • 75g wholemeal self raising flour
- • 75g ground almonds
- • A good pinch of cinnamon
- For the caramelised pears:
- • 3 pears (reasonably firm, but not rock hard)
- • 25g unsalted butter
- • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
I've made this a few times now with pears or apples and it's so delicious. Great recipe!
Everyone agreed this was best cake I've made, I followed recipe very carefully (am usually bit slap dash!) and used lovely ripe pears. A great Sunday cake!
I agree with the last comment. The ingredients when this recipe was first put on the sight were double the amount. I have it printed and it works great like that.
I made this cake a couple of times and it always came out so flat. I've just seen the episode again and the above ingredients are half the amount as on the show! Will be making it again but this time doubling it! Yum!
This was so easy to make and really delicious - my husband and kids loved it! Thank you River Cottage.
I agree - this is one of the best cakes I've made. I did make some small changes - I added toasted almonds to the cake mix and almond essence plus a splash of milk as the mixture seemed a bit stiff. I also added the toasted almonds to the pears which produced the most amazing topping.
I've made this cake a couple of times. It's so easy and really tasty. I definitely recommend giving this cake a go.
My sister's partner made this - it's awsome!!
My attempt of this recipe - http://akmagnolia.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/caramelized-pear-cake/ . One of my best cakes ever.
- Blackberry soaked cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Hugh’s fresh cherry cake with streusel topping By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Ginger, Lemon & Biscuit Cakes By: cj82
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- chocolate Christmas cake By: cristal666
- Pear and chocolate cobbler By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Marrow Cake By: Amac1962
- Yummy 5 - minute chocolate Cake By: lillyshak
- Courgette cake By: rgbargie
- Grandma's Fruit Cake By: peterr
- Fig and Walnut Bread By: River Cottage HQ
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- Cider Fruit Cake By: marcuscabot5
- Hugh's Pear and Celeriac Stuffing By: River Cottage Christmas Fayre
- Lemon and Almond Butter By: Luth
- Chocolate pear cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Basil chocolate cake By: kim.lightbody
- Genoese Sponge Cake By: Every Day
- FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE FOR ONE By: penguinpotty
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Mulled Pears By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Courgette and Lime Cake By: spawnee
- Chocolate Courgette Cake By: paulamartin
- Carrot Cake with Cashew Nut Icing By: Maytime
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Yummy - Scrummy chocolate chip coffee cake By: lillyshak
- Spiced Apple Pie Cake By: RJDTYE
- Chunky Prune, Fig & Apricot Cake By: Every Day
- Apricot almond bake (wheat free) By: lindsayhoyermillar
- Christmas Cake By: Georgee
- Angel cakes By: misscookingheart
- Chunky fig, apricot and prune cake By: Every Day
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Lemon Trickle Cake By: HughFW
- Grape muffins By: Eatmania
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese (focaccia) By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Spicy Marrow Cake By: notjustapples
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Coffee and walnut cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Gill's honey cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Oatmeal Ginger Parkin By: notjustapples
- Apple and Walnut Crumble By: Every Day