I've made this a few times now with pears or apples and it's so delicious. Great recipe!
A scrumptious and gooey pear and almond cake. Delicious served warm with clotted cream - or cold!Rate this recipe:
- 40 - 50 minutes
- • 150g unsalted butter, softened
- • 125g caster sugar
- • 2 medium eggs
- • 75g wholemeal self raising flour
- • 75g ground almonds
- • A good pinch of cinnamon
- For the caramelised pears:
- • 3 pears (reasonably firm, but not rock hard)
- • 25g unsalted butter
- • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
Everyone agreed this was best cake I've made, I followed recipe very carefully (am usually bit slap dash!) and used lovely ripe pears. A great Sunday cake!
I agree with the last comment. The ingredients when this recipe was first put on the sight were double the amount. I have it printed and it works great like that.
I made this cake a couple of times and it always came out so flat. I've just seen the episode again and the above ingredients are half the amount as on the show! Will be making it again but this time doubling it! Yum!
This was so easy to make and really delicious - my husband and kids loved it! Thank you River Cottage.
I agree - this is one of the best cakes I've made. I did make some small changes - I added toasted almonds to the cake mix and almond essence plus a splash of milk as the mixture seemed a bit stiff. I also added the toasted almonds to the pears which produced the most amazing topping.
I've made this cake a couple of times. It's so easy and really tasty. I definitely recommend giving this cake a go.
My sister's partner made this - it's awsome!!
My attempt of this recipe - http://akmagnolia.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/caramelized-pear-cake/ . One of my best cakes ever.
Having watched the repeat at the weekend, I've just made this cake - I baked it for an extra 10 mins (I have a naff electric oven) - I also added a good slug of almond essence to the mix to bring the almond alive, and I also sprinkled some flaked almonds into the bottom of the cake tin, before putting the mixture in. When you turn it out upside down, the flaked almonds give it a better look, and added crunch. The mixture seemed quite thick, so in anticipation, I poked the pears well under the mix to make sure they didn't stay sitting on top. The proof of the pudding will be in a few hours! Yum!
- Courgette and Lime Cake By: spawnee
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Blackberry soaked cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Grandma's Fruit Cake By: peterr
- Gill's honey cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Fig and Walnut Bread By: River Cottage HQ
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- Oatmeal Ginger Parkin By: notjustapples
- Lemon Trickle Cake By: HughFW
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Genoese Sponge Cake By: Every Day
- Spiced Apple Pie Cake By: RJDTYE
- Chocolate Courgette Cake By: paulamartin
- Grape muffins By: Eatmania
- Chocolate pear cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Yummy 5 - minute chocolate Cake By: lillyshak
- Lemon and Almond Butter By: Luth
- Chunky fig, apricot and prune cake By: Every Day
- FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE FOR ONE By: penguinpotty
- Courgette cake By: rgbargie
- Basil chocolate cake By: kim.lightbody
- Spicy Marrow Cake By: notjustapples
- Mulled Pears By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Hugh's Pear and Celeriac Stuffing By: River Cottage Christmas Fayre
- Christmas Cake By: Georgee
- Angel cakes By: misscookingheart
- Coffee and walnut cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Carrot Cake with Cashew Nut Icing By: Maytime
- Ginger, Lemon & Biscuit Cakes By: cj82
- Cider Fruit Cake By: marcuscabot5
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Marrow Cake By: Amac1962
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- chocolate Christmas cake By: cristal666
- Hugh’s fresh cherry cake with streusel topping By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Apple and Walnut Crumble By: Every Day
- Apricot almond bake (wheat free) By: lindsayhoyermillar
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese (focaccia) By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chunky Prune, Fig & Apricot Cake By: Every Day
- Yummy - Scrummy chocolate chip coffee cake By: lillyshak