As seen on the first episode of River Cottage: Three Go Mad shown on Channel 4 in July 2012.Rate this recipe:
- 10 mins
- 8 mins
- 6x mackerel, cleaned and gutted
- bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- lemon wedges to serve
1. Make sure each fish is nice and dry, inside and out.
2. Season the fish on the inside with salt and pepper.
3. With a sharp knife, make 4 incisions along the flesh of each fish, into which insert a bay leaf.
4. Season the whole fish on both sides, then oil lightly.
5. Bake on an oiled baking tray in a wood fired oven or a conventional oven heated to 200°c for approximately 8 minutes, until the flesh is slightly blistered.
6. To test if the fish is cooked, insert a knife into the flesh around the backbone, which should slide easily off the bone and be completely opaque.
7. Serve with lemon wedges.
There are no comments available
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Kasper Gaard's mackerel, red onion and fennel By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Sushi By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Potted Smoked Mackerel By: clairey
- Hot-smoked mackerel pâté By: River Cottage Fish
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Euten Lindsey's mackerel, coconut milk and peppers By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- Courgette Fritters By: HughFW
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Nettle soup with pignuts and goats curd toast By: Three Go Mad
- Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Chicken kiev with wild garlic butter By: Three Go Mad
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Hugh's mackerel, lemon and bay By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Turkish mackerel By: River Cottage summers here
- Crispy mackerel fingers (with mango salsa) By: jonnyH
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Braised Squirrel By: plymouthcanteen
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Hugh's mackerel, oatmeal, rhubarb By: Hugh's 3 Good Things