A tasty pumpkin pie paired up with a deliciously sweet apple meringue!Rate this recipe:
- 20 minutes
- 1 and a half hours
- Serves 10
- • 1 small pumpkin or squash, weighing about 1kg
- • large knob of unsalted butter
- • 75g soft brown sugar
- • a little freshly grated nutmeg
- • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- • ½ tsp ground ginger
- • pinch of salt
- • 2 Bramley or other cooking apples
- • 5 eggs, separated
- • 100ml double cream
- • 300g caster sugar
- For the sweet shortcrust pastry
- • 450g plain flour
- • 140g icing sugar
- • pinch of salt
- • 225g cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- • 2 egg yolks
Preheat the oven to 180oC/gas 4.
Halve the pumpkin or squash and scoop the seeds out.
Put the pumpkin halves, cut side up, into a roasting tray. Put a knob of butter and 1 tbsp soft brown sugar in the cavity of each half.
Pour a little water into the base of the roasting tray, cover with foil, then put in the oven for around an hour, or until the pumpkin is completely tender.
Meanwhile, make the pastry. Put the flour, sugar and salt into a food processor and blitz briefly to combine.
Add the butter and pulse until the mixture has the consistency of breadcrumbs.
Add the egg yolks and pulse just until the pastry starts to clump together, adding a few tablespoons of cold water if you need to.
Tip out onto a lightly floured board, knead a couple of times to make a smooth ball of dough, then wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for half an hour.
Roll out the pastry and use to line a 3cm-deep, 30cm-diameter tart tin.
Leave the excess pastry hanging over the edge.
Put the tin on a baking sheet, line the pastry with greaseproof paper and baking beans, and bake for 20 minutes at 180oC/gas 4.
Remove the paper and beans, prick the pastry in a few places with a fork, and bake for another 10 minutes.
Leave to cool completely, then trim off the excess pastry using a small, sharp knife. Reduce the oven to 150oC/gas 2.
When the pumpkin is cooked, scoop out the soft flesh and buttery juices.
Add the spices and a pinch of salt and mash thoroughly together, or puree in a food processor.
Peel, core and slice the apples.
Put them in a pan with just a splash of water to stop them burning then put over a low heat and cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes, until they have reduced to a puree.
Let this cool, then stir into the pumpkin mixture.
Whisk the egg yolks, cream and remaining soft brown sugar together in a separate bowl, then fold them into the pumpkin mix.
Pile the apple and pumpkin mix into the baked pastry crust and smooth out with a knife.
Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in the caster sugar a little at a time.
Keep going until you have smooth, thick, glossy meringue.
You should be able to turn the bowl upside down without the meringue slipping out.
Spread the meringue mixture on top of the pumpkin, swirling it up into peaks and making sure it completely covers the pastry edges.
Bake at 150oC/gas 2 for about 45 minutes, or until the meringue is turning golden on top.
Serve warm or cold, with cream.
You've seen us on TV, now why not pay us a visit? River Cottage HQ offers unique cookery courses, dining experiences and bespoke events.
There are no comments available
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Apple and Cheese Muffins By: Snow Cloud
- Apple and pork patties By: River Cottage to the Core
- Molasses Apple Tart with Rye Crust By: notjustapples
- Mark and Steve’s Apple Mojito. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Roast Pumpkin Soup By: peterr
- Apple Compote By: Every Day
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Gill's Pheasant & Leek Pie By: gillM
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup By: Haly
- Apple and dried fruit tart By: rhonda lillian
- Ovenbaked cod with apricots, bacon and apple By: kokkekniven
- Roasted Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Pumpkin and veal sausage lasagne By: Eatmania
- Apple and Walnut Crumble By: Every Day
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Hugh's hot Halloween pumpkin foldovers By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pumpkin Achar By: Winter's on the way
- pumkin soup By: toni_rumens
- Roast Pumpkin Pizza By: BuzzMoo
- Rosehip and apple sorbet By: River Cottage to the Core
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- pumpkin clootie pudding By: decaf
- Eton Mess By: Every Day
- Kiwi Boilup - All in One Meal By: Purplegoanna
- Rabbits Pie By: Snow_Bunny
- Oysters with apple and shallot vinegar By: River Cottage to the Core
- Velvet Chicken Pie By: FoodslashTech
- Curried fish pie By: Every Day
- Hugh's apple, squash and chilli By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Spiced Apple Pie Cake By: RJDTYE
- Apple snow By: River Cottage to the Core
- Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Pumpkin Marmalade By: Snow Cloud
- Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage to the Core
- Hugh's apples, mint and lime By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Extra Special Blackberry Jam By: somersetchef
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Sam Rom's bacon chop, fennel and apple By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chicken, leek and plum pie By: River Cottage to the Core
- Hugh's lobster, cucumber and apple By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime