I've grown up eating mackerel it's a fantastic fish to eat. Tried this recipe tonight for the first time and I'll be doing it again, it's so nice. I was out of garlic so used garlic oil and bay leaves worked really well :)
This is perhaps the simplest way to enjoy a catch of fresh mackerel when you get home, tired but elated after a few good hours at sea. It’s super-quick and very family friendly.Rate this recipe:
- 5 minutes
- 5 minutes
- 1 mackerel per person
- Fresh mackerel, 1 per person
- Olive oil
- A few garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- A few bay leaves, roughly torn
- ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cut the fillets from either side of the mackerel, bait-cutter style (see pages 62–3).
Season them with a little salt and pepper.
Put a large frying pan over a medium heat and add a thin film of olive oil. When
the oil is fairly hot, scatter in the garlic and bay leaves, then lay the mackerel
fillets over them, skin side down. You’re looking for a gentle sizzle rather than a
As it cooks, the mackerel flesh will change from translucent pink
to opaque white. When the fillets are almost completely white, turn them over for
just a minute to finish cooking. The whole process won’t take longer than
Let the garlic and bay just sizzle in the oil under and next to the fish,
flavouring it gently.
Lift the mackerel fillets from the pan, leaving the bay and garlic behind (they’re
probably just starting to burn a bit). Give the fillets a squeeze of lemon juice and
serve straight away, with salad (a sliced tomato salad is delicious with mackerel)
and either new potatoes or buttered bread.
Gorgeous!!! I've never ever cooked fresh fish, didn't even know how to cut it :)) but I followed these directions and it came out really nice. Am definitely doing this again. Thanks!
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Courgette Salad By: Nicola R
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Crunchy Green Salad By: Po
- Hugh's mackerel, oatmeal, rhubarb By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Philip’s wood-fired mackerel By: Three Go Mad
- Postmodern Cous Cous By: rickyburnell
- Pasta sausage & broccoli By: Eatmania
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- No added sugar childrens mince pies By: Halff Charity
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Small Veg Spelt Salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Kasper Gaard's mackerel, red onion and fennel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Smoked mackerel tartare By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Gardener s warm cougette salad By: juju1000
- Potted Smoked Mackerel By: clairey
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Full English Breakfast Salad By: Every Day
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Beef & Lentil Salad By: Every Day
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Euten Lindsey's mackerel, coconut milk and peppers By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's mackerel, lemon and bay By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Plum, celery, walnut and crumbly cheese salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Sushi By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Summer courgette and herb salad By: cicely_warren
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Hot-smoked mackerel pâté By: River Cottage Fish
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Crispy mackerel fingers (with mango salsa) By: jonnyH
- Smoked new potato salad By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potato salad with dill and pickled red onion By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Halloumi Salad By: Every Day
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Flower salad with hazlenut dressing By: BalconyGardener
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Best Courgette Salad By: ghgirls
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day
- Quick Chicken And Sage Spaghetti By: Mrs B
- Turkish mackerel By: River Cottage summers here
- Raw Kale Salad By: lilforager
- Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad By: Winter's on the way
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things