I've grown up eating mackerel it's a fantastic fish to eat. Tried this recipe tonight for the first time and I'll be doing it again, it's so nice. I was out of garlic so used garlic oil and bay leaves worked really well :)
This is perhaps the simplest way to enjoy a catch of fresh mackerel when you get home, tired but elated after a few good hours at sea. It’s super-quick and very family friendly.Rate this recipe:
- 5 minutes
- 5 minutes
- 1 mackerel per person
- Fresh mackerel, 1 per person
- Olive oil
- A few garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- A few bay leaves, roughly torn
- ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cut the fillets from either side of the mackerel, bait-cutter style (see pages 62–3).
Season them with a little salt and pepper.
Put a large frying pan over a medium heat and add a thin film of olive oil. When
the oil is fairly hot, scatter in the garlic and bay leaves, then lay the mackerel
fillets over them, skin side down. You’re looking for a gentle sizzle rather than a
As it cooks, the mackerel flesh will change from translucent pink
to opaque white. When the fillets are almost completely white, turn them over for
just a minute to finish cooking. The whole process won’t take longer than
Let the garlic and bay just sizzle in the oil under and next to the fish,
flavouring it gently.
Lift the mackerel fillets from the pan, leaving the bay and garlic behind (they’re
probably just starting to burn a bit). Give the fillets a squeeze of lemon juice and
serve straight away, with salad (a sliced tomato salad is delicious with mackerel)
and either new potatoes or buttered bread.
Gorgeous!!! I've never ever cooked fresh fish, didn't even know how to cut it :)) but I followed these directions and it came out really nice. Am definitely doing this again. Thanks!
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Small Veg Spelt Salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Smoked mackerel tartare By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Halloumi Salad By: Every Day
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Full English Breakfast Salad By: Every Day
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Quick Chicken And Sage Spaghetti By: Mrs B
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- No added sugar childrens mince pies By: Halff Charity
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Best Courgette Salad By: ghgirls
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Summer courgette and herb salad By: cicely_warren
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Philip’s wood-fired mackerel By: Three Go Mad
- Kasper Gaard's mackerel, red onion and fennel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Raw Kale Salad By: lilforager
- Hugh's mackerel, oatmeal, rhubarb By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad By: Winter's on the way
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Crunchy Green Salad By: Po
- Potted Smoked Mackerel By: clairey
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Pasta sausage & broccoli By: Eatmania
- Hot-smoked mackerel pâté By: River Cottage Fish
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Postmodern Cous Cous By: rickyburnell
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Potato salad with dill and pickled red onion By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Turkish mackerel By: River Cottage summers here
- Hugh's mackerel, lemon and bay By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sushi By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Smoked new potato salad By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Euten Lindsey's mackerel, coconut milk and peppers By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Beef & Lentil Salad By: Every Day
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Gardener s warm cougette salad By: juju1000
- Flower salad with hazlenut dressing By: BalconyGardener
- Crispy mackerel fingers (with mango salsa) By: jonnyH
- Plum, celery, walnut and crumbly cheese salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Courgette Salad By: Nicola R