Going to try this tonight- potatoes from the garden and broad beans .
Though unconventional, this dish makes a lot of sense. Roasting potatoes to perfection takes a little effort - heating the oil in the roasting tin, parboiling the spuds, roughing them up a little - but when you get it spot on, you have something approaching the perfect chip, albeit rather chunkier in shape.Rate this recipe:
- 10-15 minutes
- 1 hour 40 minutes
- * 500g fairly floury potatoes (try Maris Piper, King Edward or Desiree), peeled and cut into smallish chunks
- * 3-4 tbsp sunflower, groundnut or rapeseed oil, or goose fat
- * About 500g fish fillets, such as 2 gurnard or bream fillets, 1 fat fillet of pollack, or 4 large mackerel fillets
- * A few bay leaves
- * Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the potatoes in a pan, cover with cold water and add a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, simmer for 8 minutes, then drain well and return to the empty pan to steam off for a few minutes.
2. Put the oil or fat in a large roasting tin and place in an oven preheated to 200C/Gas Mark 6 until smoking hot. Meanwhile, generously season the potatoes in their pan, then rough them up: either hold the lid on and give the pan a little shake or use a sharp fork to scratch their surfaces.
3. When the oil is smoking hot, tip in the potatoes. Baste them well with the oil, then return the tin to the oven for 45 minutes, giving them a stir after about 30 minutes. By this stage, the potatoes should be almost done - i.e. have a golden crust all over but look as if they could still take a bit more crisping up. Create a space in the middle of the tin for the fish.
4. Add the fish to the tin, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, then tuck in the bay leaves. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Serve at once, with pea puree or mushy squash and, by all means, ketchup - or roasted tomato sauce.
When I was at the Axminster Canteen, I had a dish that was similar to this with Pollock, with roasted new potatoes and I think, roasted beetroot served with a salsa verde. I would love the recipe if anyone knows how to do it!!!!!
I tried this the other evening with Mackerel fillets that I caught and filleted myself. (Get me!) Added some wilted spinach and it was a winner with everyone at the table apart from the bones I missed. Oops!
Previously only used boiled new potatoes but the roasties worked great. As Every Day says they're like chips. Never thought of that before. Doh!
Love Love Love this! Especially when using freahly caught Bream! Another awesome recipe. Thanks RC! :-)
Tried the chips on their own today, as Martin said very easy but tasted fantastic!
Nice and simple saw it on the show last night what could be easier ?
I dont like mushy peas much so the fresh steamed ones will do for me.
Kristine loves mushy peas and will probably win the argument .
i would try this with Ray wings and perhaps a little crusty bread.
Martin and Kristine
- Roast Pumpkin Soup By: peterr
- Three-root mash By: Every Day
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Scallops With Mushy Squash By: Winter's on the way
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's apple, squash and chilli By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Easter Hot Cross Buns By: plymouthcanteen
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Zander in green bed By: ThorstenW
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Butternut Squash & Cranberry rolls By: Neil Drummond
- Lewy's Left Over Chicken Curry By: lewy
- Turkey-au-vin & Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast By: Winter's on the way
- Three-root boulangère By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's fish, lime and mint By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- Breaded Fish Fillets with Tomato Salsa By: Every Day
- Butternut Squash and Stilton Risotto By: Seraphim
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Butternut squash and cashew nut roast By: HarrietJames
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Slow-roast Beef Brisket & Roasted Sirloin By: Winter's on the way
- Roasted Squash and shallots with merguez chickpeas By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Smoked pollack with poached egg By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's squash, ricotta and ham By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Lemon & Orange Squash By: Every Day
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- side dish By: serena
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Kid chops with tomatoes and olives By: River Cottage HQ
- Devilled crab cakes with herby mayonnaise By: Hugh's Fish Fight
- Ceviche By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Pot-roasted gurnard By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Marinated salt bream with roast tomatoes By: River Cottage Fish
- Fish in Beer Batter By: River Cottage Fish
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Sam Rom's lamb, squash and almonds By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gurnard Parcels In Asian Spices By: Every Day
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi