Going to try this tonight- potatoes from the garden and broad beans .
Though unconventional, this dish makes a lot of sense. Roasting potatoes to perfection takes a little effort - heating the oil in the roasting tin, parboiling the spuds, roughing them up a little - but when you get it spot on, you have something approaching the perfect chip, albeit rather chunkier in shape.Rate this recipe:
- 10-15 minutes
- 1 hour 40 minutes
- * 500g fairly floury potatoes (try Maris Piper, King Edward or Desiree), peeled and cut into smallish chunks
- * 3-4 tbsp sunflower, groundnut or rapeseed oil, or goose fat
- * About 500g fish fillets, such as 2 gurnard or bream fillets, 1 fat fillet of pollack, or 4 large mackerel fillets
- * A few bay leaves
- * Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the potatoes in a pan, cover with cold water and add a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, simmer for 8 minutes, then drain well and return to the empty pan to steam off for a few minutes.
2. Put the oil or fat in a large roasting tin and place in an oven preheated to 200C/Gas Mark 6 until smoking hot. Meanwhile, generously season the potatoes in their pan, then rough them up: either hold the lid on and give the pan a little shake or use a sharp fork to scratch their surfaces.
3. When the oil is smoking hot, tip in the potatoes. Baste them well with the oil, then return the tin to the oven for 45 minutes, giving them a stir after about 30 minutes. By this stage, the potatoes should be almost done - i.e. have a golden crust all over but look as if they could still take a bit more crisping up. Create a space in the middle of the tin for the fish.
4. Add the fish to the tin, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, then tuck in the bay leaves. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Serve at once, with pea puree or mushy squash and, by all means, ketchup - or roasted tomato sauce.
When I was at the Axminster Canteen, I had a dish that was similar to this with Pollock, with roasted new potatoes and I think, roasted beetroot served with a salsa verde. I would love the recipe if anyone knows how to do it!!!!!
I tried this the other evening with Mackerel fillets that I caught and filleted myself. (Get me!) Added some wilted spinach and it was a winner with everyone at the table apart from the bones I missed. Oops!
Previously only used boiled new potatoes but the roasties worked great. As Every Day says they're like chips. Never thought of that before. Doh!
Love Love Love this! Especially when using freahly caught Bream! Another awesome recipe. Thanks RC! :-)
Tried the chips on their own today, as Martin said very easy but tasted fantastic!
Nice and simple saw it on the show last night what could be easier ?
I dont like mushy peas much so the fresh steamed ones will do for me.
Kristine loves mushy peas and will probably win the argument .
i would try this with Ray wings and perhaps a little crusty bread.
Martin and Kristine
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Slow-roast Beef Brisket & Roasted Sirloin By: Winter's on the way
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Hugh's fish, lime and mint By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Roasted Squash and shallots with merguez chickpeas By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Lewy's Left Over Chicken Curry By: lewy
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Turkey-au-vin & Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast By: Winter's on the way
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's apple, squash and chilli By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Butternut Squash and Stilton Risotto By: Seraphim
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Scallops With Mushy Squash By: Winter's on the way
- Pot-roasted gurnard By: River Cottage Fish
- Easter Hot Cross Buns By: plymouthcanteen
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- Butternut Squash & Cranberry rolls By: Neil Drummond
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Ceviche By: River Cottage Fish
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Smoked pollack with poached egg By: River Cottage Fish
- Sam Rom's lamb, squash and almonds By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Gurnard Parcels In Asian Spices By: Every Day
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Kid chops with tomatoes and olives By: River Cottage HQ
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Marinated salt bream with roast tomatoes By: River Cottage Fish
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Lemon & Orange Squash By: Every Day
- Zander in green bed By: ThorstenW
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Butternut squash and cashew nut roast By: HarrietJames
- Roast Pumpkin Soup By: peterr
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Breaded Fish Fillets with Tomato Salsa By: Every Day
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Hugh's squash, ricotta and ham By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Fish in Beer Batter By: River Cottage Fish
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- side dish By: serena
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Devilled crab cakes with herby mayonnaise By: Hugh's Fish Fight