Looks very tasty!! Just got a pizza stone for the oven so will give this one a go!!
Beetroot is so underrated. Its rich, earthy flavour, silky smooth texture and wonderful sweetness make it able to star in both sweet and savoury courses. The combination of beetroot, kale and anchovies makes for a stunning warm salad with some sliced boiled eggs or a bit of sirloin steak, but it also makes a rather spectacular winter pizza topping, with the fragrant oil drizzled over the top. Roast the beetroot with the skin on, and the roots and leaves intact, to keep in all the flavour. Garlic and thyme are a must – the combination infuses both beetroot and olive oil with the most delicious savour.Rate this recipe:
- 15 mins
- 10 mins
- Serves four
- For the pizza bases:
- 250g strong plain white bread flour
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 5g fast-acting dried yeast
- 350ml warm water
- Slug of olive oil
- For the topping:
- 5–6 smallish beetroot, with leaves and roots intact
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled and bashed a bit
- 5–6 thyme sprigs, plus about ½ tsp thyme leaves for sprinkling on the pizzas
- 2–3 rosemary sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g young kale, stalks removed
- 2 dried chillies, deseeded and chopped
- About 300g good mozzarella, torn
- 24 anchovies or salted pilchards
First make the pizza dough.
Sift the flours and salt into a large mixing bowl, stir in the yeast, then make a well in the centre and add most of the water.
Using two fingers of one hand, mix until you have a very rough, soft dough, adding more water if the dough is dry.
Add the olive oil and squidge it all together.
Turn the dough out on to a well-floured surface and knead until smooth and silky (or you could use an electric mixer with a dough hook attachment).
Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, which should take about an hour or so.
Meanwhile, roast the beetroot. Preheat the oven to 200�C/Gas Mark 6. Put your beetroot into a roasting tin with 2–3 tbsp of the olive oil, 3 garlic cloves and the thyme and rosemary sprigs.
Roll the beetroot around a bit so that they are nicely coated and season well with salt and pepper.
Roast for about 40 minutes, shaking the tin from time to time, until the beetroot are very soft when pierced with a knife.
Leave until cool enough to handle, then rub off the skins, chop off the roots and leaves, and slice the beets into wedges.
Reserve any of the tasty oil for later. Turn your oven up as high as it will go and place a couple of sturdy large baking sheets inside to heat up.
Chop the kale roughly. Peel and slice the remaining 2 garlic cloves. Warm 1–2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat and toss in the kale, along with the garlic and chillies.
Keep moving the kale around the pan until it’s wilted, very soft and any liquid has evaporated.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. When the pizza dough has doubled in size, turn it out on to a lightly floured surface and divide into four.
Shape one of the quarters into a circle and then roll it out with a rolling pin until you have a pleasingly thin base. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
Carefully place the pizza bases on the hot baking sheets, then quickly divide the roasted beetroot among them, along with some torn mozzarella and anchovies.
Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle lightly with thyme leaves, then spoon over any leftover beetroot roasting juices.
Bake the pizzas for about 8–10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the base is crisp and browned.
- Beetroot hummus By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Gill Meller's beetroot, yoghurt and walnut soup By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Chickpea Pizza Crust By: notjustapples
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Creamy Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and bacon By: MarkD
- Chard & new potato curry By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Creamed Kale Crostini By: River Cottage Christmas!
- Vegetables with Garlic Butter. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Florence Knight's beetroot, gorgonzola, poppy seeds By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Chocolate & beetroot ice cream By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Beetroot, apple, pecans By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- BEETLE JUICE!!! By: andyholmes
- my pizza By: BlackBeauty
- Vegetable Crisps By: Hell Belle
- Beetroot Atjar By: karenjopling
- Hugh's egg, beetroot and anchovy open sandwich By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage to the Core
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Kale, onions, chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Gill Meller's kale, lobster and soy By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Florence Knight's kale, squid, chickpeas By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Hugh's kale, chicken stock and spaghetti By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Roast Pumpkin Pizza By: BuzzMoo
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW
- Chicken Pizza By: mwperry
- Beetroot, apple and cheddar pizza By: River Cottage to the Core
- Sam's beef, beetroot and horseradish By: Hugh's 3 Good Things