Just made this after seeing it on last night's More4 repeat. Absolutely delicious. First time I've tried a River Cottage recipe - I'm sure it won't be the last!
Promote sardines from the breakfast plate with this scrumptious fish bake recipe from River Cottage Every Day.Rate this recipe:
- 10-15 minutes
- 25 minutes
- * Butter
- * 2-3 medium waxy potatoes, peeled and chopped into matchsticks
- * 1 small onion, or half a medium onion, finely sliced
- * Salt and pepper, to taste
- * 1 tin (about 120g) of sardines in oil, drained
- * Dash or two of milk
1. Preheat oven to 180�C. Then, in a small frying pan melt a little butter and gently fry onions until softened. Add potatoes and fry for a few minutes longer. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
2. Grease a small gratin dish or oven-proof dish with a little butter then tip in half of the potato and onion mixture. Top with sardines, then tip over remaining potato mixture. Add a dash or two of milk to the dish, then cover (check if covered with foil) and bake for 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Uncover and bake for a further 5 minutes, until golden on top.
Please can someone enlighten me on waxy potatoes, new to this cooking malarkey! Thanks
Gorgeous! Love it and cook it lots and lots! Thank you x
Yum yum, so easy that i got my partner to cook it.
Inspired by your programme on Saturday I wanted to sample the sardine bake. Was in supermarket this afternoon and got my sardines and kippers confused because you featured a kipper recipe in the same programme and I hadn't checked before heading to the shops....I can safely say, Kipper Bake with cream instead of milk and fresh parsley from my window box is delicious! You should give it a go.
Cooking this for the second time tonight for tea, great recipe, easy to make, relatively inexpensive and very good for you. Can make it in no time and just pop in the oven and sit back.
We tried this last night for tea, it was so quick and easy and delicious! Had it served with runners beans, lovely. Thanks R/C
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Vanilla Honey Cut-Out Cookies By: notjustapples
- Bolognese Moussaka By: Every Day
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Spicy Marrow Cake By: notjustapples
- Molasses Apple Tart with Rye Crust By: notjustapples
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Salsify and Scorzonera Gratin By: Winter's on the way
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Courgette & Pesto Bake By: kas
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Sardines, garlic, leaves By:
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Fig and Walnut Bread By: River Cottage HQ
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Dog bone biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Kid chops with tomatoes and olives By: River Cottage HQ
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Oatmeal Ginger Parkin By: notjustapples
- side dish By: serena
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bloody Mary Sardines On Toast By: Every Day
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad