Just made this after seeing it on last night's More4 repeat. Absolutely delicious. First time I've tried a River Cottage recipe - I'm sure it won't be the last!
Promote sardines from the breakfast plate with this scrumptious fish bake recipe from River Cottage Every Day.Rate this recipe:
- 10-15 minutes
- 25 minutes
- * Butter
- * 2-3 medium waxy potatoes, peeled and chopped into matchsticks
- * 1 small onion, or half a medium onion, finely sliced
- * Salt and pepper, to taste
- * 1 tin (about 120g) of sardines in oil, drained
- * Dash or two of milk
1. Preheat oven to 180�C. Then, in a small frying pan melt a little butter and gently fry onions until softened. Add potatoes and fry for a few minutes longer. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
2. Grease a small gratin dish or oven-proof dish with a little butter then tip in half of the potato and onion mixture. Top with sardines, then tip over remaining potato mixture. Add a dash or two of milk to the dish, then cover (check if covered with foil) and bake for 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Uncover and bake for a further 5 minutes, until golden on top.
Please can someone enlighten me on waxy potatoes, new to this cooking malarkey! Thanks
Gorgeous! Love it and cook it lots and lots! Thank you x
Yum yum, so easy that i got my partner to cook it.
Inspired by your programme on Saturday I wanted to sample the sardine bake. Was in supermarket this afternoon and got my sardines and kippers confused because you featured a kipper recipe in the same programme and I hadn't checked before heading to the shops....I can safely say, Kipper Bake with cream instead of milk and fresh parsley from my window box is delicious! You should give it a go.
Cooking this for the second time tonight for tea, great recipe, easy to make, relatively inexpensive and very good for you. Can make it in no time and just pop in the oven and sit back.
We tried this last night for tea, it was so quick and easy and delicious! Had it served with runners beans, lovely. Thanks R/C
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Oatmeal Ginger Parkin By: notjustapples
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Salsify and Scorzonera Gratin By: Winter's on the way
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Fig and Walnut Bread By: River Cottage HQ
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Sardines, garlic, leaves By:
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Courgette & Pesto Bake By: kas
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Dog bone biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Three-root boulangère By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Spicy Marrow Cake By: notjustapples
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Kid chops with tomatoes and olives By: River Cottage HQ
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Three-root mash By: Every Day
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Bloody Mary Sardines On Toast By: Every Day
- side dish By: serena
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Molasses Apple Tart with Rye Crust By: notjustapples
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- Vanilla Honey Cut-Out Cookies By: notjustapples
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Bolognese Moussaka By: Every Day
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things