Slambuc ("SHLUM-BUTZ") is a traditional dish of shepherds on Hungary’s great plain, called Alföld (lowlands).Rate this recipe:
- 30 min
- 2-3 hours (outdoor), 60 min in the kitchen
- 4 (-12)
- (for 4 ):
- - 300g 'lebbencs' / squares of pasta (1 package)/
- - 80g smoked bacon (about 3 thin slices, with more fat)
- - 1 kg of potatoes
- - 2 piece of a medium onion
- - 1-2 teaspoon of red paprika (not hot)
- - salt and pepper
- - water
- (optional:- pepperoni salami slices or dried smoked sausage cut to small ’cube’ shape
Originally made with only huge amount of ‘lebbencs’ pasta (a whole spread dried pasta torn into random parts), small amount of pork fat, water and salt, some newer recipes call for bacon, vegetables and ground red paprika as well. Slambuc is really heavy meal – a native Hungarian shepherd’s meal. Originally ‘slambuc’ has to be made in a bigger pot ( big pot, cauldron).
The traditional recipe only contains potato, pasta (‘lebbencs’), bacon (with a bit more fat), onion and paprika, but you can try to make something special on your own from the ‘base’ recipe.
*Lebbencs ("LAEH-BENCH") is the name for pasta which is made by breaking large sheets into irregularly shaped pieces.
Heat a bigger bowl, on gas mark 4, put the small cube shape bacon fry it in its own fat. Fry the onion in the fat of the bacon on slow fire till it becomes "glassy", and take it away from the oven and stir the paprika into it and for last, the pepperoni salami/smoked sausage.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Add to the bowl; drop a pinch of salt and pepper and a little water to cover all. Cook the potatoes to be soft covered by a dish cover along with continuous stirring.
Before the end, drop the pasta into the ready potatoes and heat it together on strong fire.
The food is ready when all of the water disappears from the meal!
We can let the food a little bit ’juicy’ if we prefer that.
Serve it hot and fresh on a pre-heated plate.
Eat it with pickled apple paprika, with a glass of red wine!
There are no comments available
- Liz's 'Feed the Staff' Pasta By: LizardM
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Roasted Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Hugh's pasta, tomatoes and blue cheese By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Allegra McEvedy's pasta, mushrooms and mascarpone By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Hugh's courgettes, mozzarella, pasta By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Cauliflower Soup and Onion Pakoras By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Spicy Asian Green Veg By: lollypop1989
- Pasta and pesto with green beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Quick Courgette, Mushroom & Parma Ham Pasta By: munkybecks
- Tim Maddam's pasta, sausage and cabbage By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Crab Pasta By: jonnyH
- Crayfish Tomato & Chilli Pasta By: marksl
- Beef goulash-inspired stew By: loztastic
- Pasta Bloody Mary By: Wenchy
- Labneh with paprika and flatbreads By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Nettle ravioli By: River Cottage Hedgerow Handbook
- Roast Vegetable and Tomato Pasta By: SarahF
- Student Pork Poppers By: A16AdamWalker
- Mediterranean Pasta By: flossie
- Pasta with Tuna and Basil By: Montgomery
- Mulberry pork stew By: aleksander
- Chorizo By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta By: Sazzle
- Yummy HOT Green Pasta By: michele1
- Berrygasm Flapjackstic By: somersetchef
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Pasta sausage & broccoli By: Eatmania
- Roast tomato and paprika soup By: Constanze
- Strawberry ketchup By: River Cottage summers here
- Lecsó By: András Major
- Vegie Pasta By: nikki75
- Onion free mozzarella pasta By: Woman56
- sort of carbonara By: cabrioler
- Noodle fry-up By: zsybportl
- Dogfish curry By: River Cottage summers here
- Recipe for Coronation Curry sauce (Vegan) By: somersetchef
- Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen