Slambuc ("SHLUM-BUTZ") is a traditional dish of shepherds on Hungary’s great plain, called Alföld (lowlands).Rate this recipe:
- 30 min
- 2-3 hours (outdoor), 60 min in the kitchen
- 4 (-12)
- (for 4 ):
- - 300g 'lebbencs' / squares of pasta (1 package)/
- - 80g smoked bacon (about 3 thin slices, with more fat)
- - 1 kg of potatoes
- - 2 piece of a medium onion
- - 1-2 teaspoon of red paprika (not hot)
- - salt and pepper
- - water
- (optional:- pepperoni salami slices or dried smoked sausage cut to small ’cube’ shape
Originally made with only huge amount of ‘lebbencs’ pasta (a whole spread dried pasta torn into random parts), small amount of pork fat, water and salt, some newer recipes call for bacon, vegetables and ground red paprika as well. Slambuc is really heavy meal – a native Hungarian shepherd’s meal. Originally ‘slambuc’ has to be made in a bigger pot ( big pot, cauldron).
The traditional recipe only contains potato, pasta (‘lebbencs’), bacon (with a bit more fat), onion and paprika, but you can try to make something special on your own from the ‘base’ recipe.
*Lebbencs ("LAEH-BENCH") is the name for pasta which is made by breaking large sheets into irregularly shaped pieces.
Heat a bigger bowl, on gas mark 4, put the small cube shape bacon fry it in its own fat. Fry the onion in the fat of the bacon on slow fire till it becomes "glassy", and take it away from the oven and stir the paprika into it and for last, the pepperoni salami/smoked sausage.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Add to the bowl; drop a pinch of salt and pepper and a little water to cover all. Cook the potatoes to be soft covered by a dish cover along with continuous stirring.
Before the end, drop the pasta into the ready potatoes and heat it together on strong fire.
The food is ready when all of the water disappears from the meal!
We can let the food a little bit ’juicy’ if we prefer that.
Serve it hot and fresh on a pre-heated plate.
Eat it with pickled apple paprika, with a glass of red wine!
There are no comments available
- Strawberry ketchup By: River Cottage summers here
- Lecsó By: András Major
- Chorizo By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Pasta and pesto with green beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Nettle ravioli By: River Cottage Hedgerow Handbook
- Crayfish Tomato & Chilli Pasta By: marksl
- Quick Courgette, Mushroom & Parma Ham Pasta By: munkybecks
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Cauliflower Soup and Onion Pakoras By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Student Pork Poppers By: A16AdamWalker
- Crab Pasta By: jonnyH
- Mediterranean Pasta By: flossie
- Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta By: Sazzle
- Beef goulash-inspired stew By: loztastic
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Noodle fry-up By: zsybportl
- Onion free mozzarella pasta By: Woman56
- Pasta with Tuna and Basil By: Montgomery
- Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pasta sausage & broccoli By: Eatmania
- Recipe for Coronation Curry sauce (Vegan) By: somersetchef
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Hugh's pasta, tomatoes and blue cheese By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roasted Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Dogfish curry By: River Cottage summers here
- Allegra McEvedy's pasta, mushrooms and mascarpone By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Yummy HOT Green Pasta By: michele1
- Mulberry pork stew By: aleksander
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- sort of carbonara By: cabrioler
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Berrygasm Flapjackstic By: somersetchef
- Spicy Asian Green Veg By: lollypop1989
- Labneh with paprika and flatbreads By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Hugh's courgettes, mozzarella, pasta By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Liz's 'Feed the Staff' Pasta By: LizardM
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Vegie Pasta By: nikki75
- Pasta Bloody Mary By: Wenchy
- Roast tomato and paprika soup By: Constanze
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Tim Maddam's pasta, sausage and cabbage By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast Vegetable and Tomato Pasta By: SarahF