Slambuc ("SHLUM-BUTZ") is a traditional dish of shepherds on Hungary’s great plain, called Alföld (lowlands).Rate this recipe:
- 30 min
- 2-3 hours (outdoor), 60 min in the kitchen
- 4 (-12)
- (for 4 ):
- - 300g 'lebbencs' / squares of pasta (1 package)/
- - 80g smoked bacon (about 3 thin slices, with more fat)
- - 1 kg of potatoes
- - 2 piece of a medium onion
- - 1-2 teaspoon of red paprika (not hot)
- - salt and pepper
- - water
- (optional:- pepperoni salami slices or dried smoked sausage cut to small ’cube’ shape
Originally made with only huge amount of ‘lebbencs’ pasta (a whole spread dried pasta torn into random parts), small amount of pork fat, water and salt, some newer recipes call for bacon, vegetables and ground red paprika as well. Slambuc is really heavy meal – a native Hungarian shepherd’s meal. Originally ‘slambuc’ has to be made in a bigger pot ( big pot, cauldron).
The traditional recipe only contains potato, pasta (‘lebbencs’), bacon (with a bit more fat), onion and paprika, but you can try to make something special on your own from the ‘base’ recipe.
*Lebbencs ("LAEH-BENCH") is the name for pasta which is made by breaking large sheets into irregularly shaped pieces.
Heat a bigger bowl, on gas mark 4, put the small cube shape bacon fry it in its own fat. Fry the onion in the fat of the bacon on slow fire till it becomes "glassy", and take it away from the oven and stir the paprika into it and for last, the pepperoni salami/smoked sausage.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Add to the bowl; drop a pinch of salt and pepper and a little water to cover all. Cook the potatoes to be soft covered by a dish cover along with continuous stirring.
Before the end, drop the pasta into the ready potatoes and heat it together on strong fire.
The food is ready when all of the water disappears from the meal!
We can let the food a little bit ’juicy’ if we prefer that.
Serve it hot and fresh on a pre-heated plate.
Eat it with pickled apple paprika, with a glass of red wine!
There are no comments available
- Mediterranean Pasta By: flossie
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Pasta with Tuna and Basil By: Montgomery
- Onion free mozzarella pasta By: Woman56
- Hugh's courgettes, mozzarella, pasta By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Strawberry ketchup By: River Cottage summers here
- Yummy HOT Green Pasta By: michele1
- Pasta sausage & broccoli By: Eatmania
- Tim Maddam's pasta, sausage and cabbage By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta By: Sazzle
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Berrygasm Flapjackstic By: somersetchef
- Spicy Asian Green Veg By: lollypop1989
- Quick Courgette, Mushroom & Parma Ham Pasta By: munkybecks
- Cauliflower Soup and Onion Pakoras By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Labneh with paprika and flatbreads By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Dogfish curry By: River Cottage summers here
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Pasta Bloody Mary By: Wenchy
- Mulberry pork stew By: aleksander
- Lecsó By: András Major
- Recipe for Coronation Curry sauce (Vegan) By: somersetchef
- Nettle ravioli By: River Cottage Hedgerow Handbook
- Roast Vegetable and Tomato Pasta By: SarahF
- Noodle fry-up By: zsybportl
- Crayfish Tomato & Chilli Pasta By: marksl
- Allegra McEvedy's pasta, mushrooms and mascarpone By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- sort of carbonara By: cabrioler
- Roasted Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Crab Pasta By: jonnyH
- Student Pork Poppers By: A16AdamWalker
- Chorizo By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Hugh's pasta, tomatoes and blue cheese By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Beef goulash-inspired stew By: loztastic
- Roast tomato and paprika soup By: Constanze
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Vegie Pasta By: nikki75
- Liz's 'Feed the Staff' Pasta By: LizardM
- Pasta and pesto with green beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!