Slambuc ("SHLUM-BUTZ") is a traditional dish of shepherds on Hungary’s great plain, called Alföld (lowlands).Rate this recipe:
- 30 min
- 2-3 hours (outdoor), 60 min in the kitchen
- 4 (-12)
- (for 4 ):
- - 300g 'lebbencs' / squares of pasta (1 package)/
- - 80g smoked bacon (about 3 thin slices, with more fat)
- - 1 kg of potatoes
- - 2 piece of a medium onion
- - 1-2 teaspoon of red paprika (not hot)
- - salt and pepper
- - water
- (optional:- pepperoni salami slices or dried smoked sausage cut to small ’cube’ shape
Originally made with only huge amount of ‘lebbencs’ pasta (a whole spread dried pasta torn into random parts), small amount of pork fat, water and salt, some newer recipes call for bacon, vegetables and ground red paprika as well. Slambuc is really heavy meal – a native Hungarian shepherd’s meal. Originally ‘slambuc’ has to be made in a bigger pot ( big pot, cauldron).
The traditional recipe only contains potato, pasta (‘lebbencs’), bacon (with a bit more fat), onion and paprika, but you can try to make something special on your own from the ‘base’ recipe.
*Lebbencs ("LAEH-BENCH") is the name for pasta which is made by breaking large sheets into irregularly shaped pieces.
Heat a bigger bowl, on gas mark 4, put the small cube shape bacon fry it in its own fat. Fry the onion in the fat of the bacon on slow fire till it becomes "glassy", and take it away from the oven and stir the paprika into it and for last, the pepperoni salami/smoked sausage.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Add to the bowl; drop a pinch of salt and pepper and a little water to cover all. Cook the potatoes to be soft covered by a dish cover along with continuous stirring.
Before the end, drop the pasta into the ready potatoes and heat it together on strong fire.
The food is ready when all of the water disappears from the meal!
We can let the food a little bit ’juicy’ if we prefer that.
Serve it hot and fresh on a pre-heated plate.
Eat it with pickled apple paprika, with a glass of red wine!
There are no comments available
- Spicy Asian Green Veg By: lollypop1989
- Crayfish Tomato & Chilli Pasta By: marksl
- Roast Vegetable and Tomato Pasta By: SarahF
- Lecsó By: András Major
- Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Liz's 'Feed the Staff' Pasta By: LizardM
- Allegra McEvedy's pasta, mushrooms and mascarpone By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Quick Courgette, Mushroom & Parma Ham Pasta By: munkybecks
- Mediterranean Pasta By: flossie
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Strawberry ketchup By: River Cottage summers here
- Nettle ravioli By: River Cottage Hedgerow Handbook
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Chorizo By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Beef goulash-inspired stew By: loztastic
- Crab Pasta By: jonnyH
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Onion free mozzarella pasta By: Woman56
- Sausages and Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb By: River Cottage to the Core
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Dessicated Coconut Pancakes By: notjustapples
- Yummy HOT Green Pasta By: michele1
- Student Pork Poppers By: A16AdamWalker
- Hugh's pasta, tomatoes and blue cheese By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Tim Maddam's pasta, sausage and cabbage By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Roasted Pumpkin, Red Onion & Chickpeas in Merguez Spice By: plymouthcanteen
- Vegie Pasta By: nikki75
- Labneh with paprika and flatbreads By: River Cottage to the Core
- Cauliflower Soup and Onion Pakoras By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Pasta and pesto with green beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Dogfish curry By: River Cottage summers here
- Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta By: Sazzle
- sort of carbonara By: cabrioler
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pasta sausage & broccoli By: Eatmania
- Roast tomato and paprika soup By: Constanze
- Noodle fry-up By: zsybportl
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Pasta with Tuna and Basil By: Montgomery
- Hugh's courgettes, mozzarella, pasta By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pasta Bloody Mary By: Wenchy
- Recipe for Coronation Curry sauce (Vegan) By: somersetchef
- Berrygasm Flapjackstic By: somersetchef
- Mulberry pork stew By: aleksander