Guest chef Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel, taken from Hugh's Three Good Things on More4. Hugh's recognised a simple pattern that underpins so many well-loved dishes – that they are little more or less than three good things on a plate and in this series, he pursues that idea, experimenting with different flavours and textures.Rate this recipe:
- 15 mins
- 2 - 3 mins
- For the salad
- 1 large fresh mackerel, fillets and de boned
- 1 coxes apple or a sharp and crisp equivalent
- 1 bulb fennel plus the fonds
- For the dressing
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ red chilli, chopped
- Fennel fonds, chopped
- ½ tsp runny honey
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp for cooking the fish
- Salt and pepper
Start by making your dressing.
Combine the mustard, honey, lemon juice and zest and chopped chilli in a little jar with half of the fennel fonds and a pinch of salt and pepper. Now pour in the oil, place on the lid and shake well until the dressing is emulsified.
Fillet the fish now if this isn’t already done. Remove the bones by cutting either side of the bones in a “V” shape, taking care to not cut through the fish skin or waist too much of the flesh. Simple peel out the row of bones using your fingers.
Spoon a tsp of the dressing over the flesh side of the prepared mackerel fillets and leave to marinade while you make the salad.
One a very fine setting on a mandolin, shave the fennel followed by the apple. This can also be done by hand but i fine you don’t really get the super crunchy fresh effect.
Pour over half of the dressing and mix well. Do this asap to stop the apple and fennel from oxidising and turning brown.
Heat a non stick frying pan with a tbsp of olive oil and fry the fish on the skin side for 2-3 minutes. Try to hold the fish flat in the pan for the first 30 seconds of cooking to prevent the fish curling and an uneven colouring. Once the skin has started to colour, turn off the heat, flip the fish and leave to rest while you assemble your dish.
Pile the salad high on a plate and top with the fish. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and the last of the fennel fonds.
This recipe is one of hundreds of new recipes which can be found in the book which inspired the series, Hugh's Three Good Things.
There are no comments available
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Oysters with apple and shallot vinegar By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Hot-smoked mackerel pâté By: River Cottage Fish
- Spicy Asian Green Veg By: lollypop1989
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Hugh's lobster, cucumber and apple By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's apple, squash and chilli By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Apple and pork patties By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Apple snow By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's fennel, orange and watercress By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Apple and dried fruit tart By: rhonda lillian
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Apple Compote By: Every Day
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Molasses Apple Tart with Rye Crust By: notjustapples
- Turkish mackerel By: River Cottage summers here
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Ovenbaked cod with apricots, bacon and apple By: kokkekniven
- Apple and Cheese Muffins By: Snow Cloud
- Extra Special Blackberry Jam By: somersetchef
- Kasper Gaard's mackerel, red onion and fennel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Grey mullet carpaccio By: River Cottage summers here
- Pumpkin and apple meringue pie By: Winter's on the way
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's mackerel, lemon and bay By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Apple and Walnut Crumble By: Every Day
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Sam Rom's bacon chop, fennel and apple By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Potted Smoked Mackerel By: clairey
- Mark and Steve’s Apple Mojito. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's apples, mint and lime By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Crispy mackerel fingers (with mango salsa) By: jonnyH
- Euten Lindsey's mackerel, coconut milk and peppers By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sushi By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Strawberry soup By: River Cottage summers here
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Potted Cray tails with Samphire & Smoked Bacon By: somersetchef
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Hugh's mackerel, oatmeal, rhubarb By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Philip’s wood-fired mackerel By: Three Go Mad
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Chorizo and pouting soup By: River Cottage summers here
- Spiced Apple Pie Cake By: RJDTYE
- Smoked mackerel tartare By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Rosehip and apple sorbet By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!