Its a great recipie, but if I could add some slight variations, a dry cider , and when you pour out the juices to reduce in a saucepan leave the dregs as they may be sandy. Some creme fraiche instead of cream gives a lighter sauce. RobV
When you have gone to the trouble of collecting your own Mussels, you really want a recipe that brings out the best in them. This Anglicised take on moules marinières, which I pinched straight from The River Cottage Fish Book (they won’t mind), is one of my favourites.Rate this recipe:
- 5 mins
- 5 mins
- Serves 2 as a main course
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, or 2 tsp Wild Thyme (if you can find any!)
- 1½ tsp cider vinegar (optional)
- ½ glass of medium cider
- 1kg Mussels, purged,scrubbed and debearded
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp double cream (optional)
Heat the butter in a deep, wide pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic,then cover and sweat for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until softened but not coloured.
Increase the heat and add the thyme. When it releases its scent, add the cider vinegar,if using, and cider, then the Mussels and some salt and pepper.
Give them a quick stir and a shake, then cover with a tight-fitting lid.
Cook for 3–4 minutes, shaking the pan a couple of times, until the Mussels are open (discard any that remain closed). Add the cream, if you like, to the juices in the pan.
Spoon the Mussels into warmed bowls, pour the juices over and around them, and serve with good bread and a glass of cider.
- mussel spaghetti By: Antoine
- Euten Lindsey's mussels, white wine and ginger By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pine-smoked mussels By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- West Country cider mussels By: River Cottage Fish
- Saffron and Mussel Sauce By: somersetchef
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- Hugh's mussels, leeks and cider By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Mussels, leeks, cider By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Mussels with cider, leeks and bacon By: Every Day
- Cantonese Mussel Gratin By: Mrs B
- Mussels with Kaffir Lime Leaves and Coconut Milk By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Eclade By: Winter's on the way
- Kasper Gaard's mussels, sea buckthorn and vanilla By: Hugh's Three Good Things