Who needs meat? Learn to turn local, seasonal produce into delicious veggie dishes at the River Cottage Cookery School
Get your five-a-day, with our hands-on Veg Cookery course. Inspired by vegetarian recipes from Hugh’s TV series and cookbook River Cottage Veg Every Day, our River Cottage chefs will teach you a range of skills and techniques to fully embrace all kinds of vegetables in your cooking.
Learn how to get the best out of your veg box, discover new ways to turn vegetables into complete meals and take home a glut of expert knowledge to feed your family and impress your friends. With the glorious Devon countryside just outside the window, it’s the perfect way to get back to nature and soak up the atmosphere of River Cottage HQ.
The course is (naturally) suitable for vegetarians and we are proud to have the official Vegetarian Society mark of approval.
Your day… 10am to 5pm
Arrive at River Cottage
You’ll be met at the top of the hill and transported to River Cottage HQ by tractor and trailer.
Make yourself at home
You will meet your hosts, see the famous River Cottage farmhouse and garden, and start the day with tea, coffee and treats fresh from the kitchen.
You’ll begin with a short tour around our kitchen garden, to learn more about the seasonal vegetables you might be cooking with later.
Practical session one
The key to the success of many veggie soups, stews, risottos, gratins and curries, a good veg stock will take your dishes to another level. We’ll teach you to prepare one, and how to use it.
Practical session two
In this session you will whip up some delicious veggie mezze dishes, and tuck in as a mid-morning snack.
Practical session three
Next we’ll turn our attention to pudding, with a selection of beautiful fruity desserts.
Practical session four
Back to savoury, you’ll use your freshly prepared stock to make a seasonal soup.
Practical session five
Finally, the centrepiece – you’ll cook up a winning main course dish using the best fresh, organic vegetables.
Food is always the focus at River Cottage, and a fantastic meal of local, seasonal fare will be the perfect way to round off your day.
There will be time to chat to your fellow scholars and the River Cottage team, before being whisked back up the hill by our tractor and trailer.
Please note: This is a guide to the activities that will make up your course at River Cottage, but it is not set in stone. The day’s schedule might vary according to the season and the group's interest.
- This course takes place at River Cottage HQ, on the Dorset/Devon border. Full address details, map and directions will be provided once you have booked.
- This course isn’t suitable for under-12s, and under-16s must be accompanied by an adult. We put these guidelines in place for the safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our guests.
- We have a licensed bar serving a selection of local beers, ciders, wines and soft drinks.
- If you need local accommodation, please
- Sometimes our courses will include the use of induction hobs, which people with pacemakers are recommended to avoid. If you are concerned or would like to check whether induction hobs will be used on the course you are interested in, please call us on 01297 63030201297 630302.