Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Gain a professional cookery level 2 apprenticeship with us and give yourself the best possible start to your career in food. This unique and nationally celebrated programme involves successful applicants completing monthly training sessions, over the course of 12 months, at River Cottage HQ with our professional Chef Tutors.

Contact the team to discuss your requirements.

01297 630 313


When not attending the sessions at River Cottage, you will be working at some of the best restaurants and hotels across the South West. The combination of training, working and in-business tutorials is what will enable you to gain your qualification. This programme is free of charge to all applicants who meet the eligibility criteria.

If you want to build your culinary skills and get qualified with one of the country’s most respected food brands, apply now.

Eligibility criteria for funded apprenticeship

  • Be between the ages of 16 – 23 for free placement, although any age can apply.
  • Dedicated to pursue a career as a chef.
  • Have the appetite and desire to see the programme through, from start to finish.
  • Not in any other form of education.
  • Can work a minimum of 30 hours per week in the business you are placed.
  • Attend monthly training at River Cottage HQ, Park Farm.
  • Complete monthly coursework on time and to the best of your ability.
  • Be flexible, hardworking and prepared to work evenings and weekends.
  • You are eligible to work in the UK.
  • You have been a resident in the UK continuously for the last 3 years.
  • Have achieved maths and English GCSE's with grades A-E

Frequently asked questions...

How many hours will I be working per week?

On average, you will be working a minimum of 30 hours each week. This may fluctuate at busier/quieter times of year, depending on your employers requirements.

How much will I get paid?

We request that the employer pays a minimum rate of £3.75, however this is at their discretion.

Where will I be working?

Ideally, you will already be employed within a hospitality business.  If this is not the case, we will try and place you in a great business as local to your home address as possible. However, this is not an exact science and sometimes you may need to travel up to 45 minutes to get to work.

What do I have to do other than attend the training and work in a partner business?

You will have regular coursework that needs to be completed. There is also testing throughout the process.  In addition, you will be allocated to an assessor who will visit you in your workplace regularly to complete your assessment which will form part of your overall portfolio.

Who pays for travel and/or accommodation?

To apply, you would need to be based within the South West area.  Any travel or accommodation costs are the learner’s responsibility.