Date of posting: 13.03.15
1.1 The River Cottage E-Store and River Cottage Community websites (“Sites”) are provided by River Cottage Limited (‘RCL’, ‘we’, ‘our’ or ’us’ as applicable). For further detailed information about each Site and the terms that govern your use of their features, please see the River Cottage E-Store Terms and Conditions or River Cottage Community Terms and Conditions as applicable.
1.4. If you have any queries or concerns regarding these policies, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. The information we collect and how we use it
2.1. The information we collect on our Sites and the way we use that information includes the following:
When creating an account on either Site, we collect:
Your email address – this is not displayed publicly on the Site. We use this information to:
- Manage and communicate with you about your access to, or use of, our Sites, as well as to inform you of updates to your account on those Sites. Examples include sending an email notification to you when we confirm your order or when you receive a response to your posting;
- Send you newsletters from time to time containing news about special offers, giveaways on products or surveys or to inform you about services that are closely connected to River Cottage where you have requested that we do so... If you wish to stop receiving these newsletters or e-alerts, you can do so at any time, by following the instructions in paragraph 10 ‘Editing your settings and unsubscribing from promotional River Cottage emails’;
- Ask you about your River Cottage Community successes (e.g. if you have posted a popular recipe, whether you enjoyed any products or courses and events that you have ordered, if you have received helpful responses to queries that you have posted on the Site). Any responses to such requests will be purely on a voluntary basis;
- Reply to any correspondence sent to us;
- Allow you to participate in discussion forums and post content to the River Cottage Community; and
- For any other reasonable purposes related to the Sites or your River Cottage membership.
- Your username – we ask you to provide a username by which you can be identified publicly when contributing content to certain pages of the River Cottage Community.Please note that your username should not feature your last name or contain any other personal information that could be used to identify you (e.g. your address). We reserve the right to reject usernames that are offensive, defamatory or which we think are otherwise unsuitable.
Any personal information you choose to include in your description under your preferences in your River Cottage Community account. This information might include your photo or any personal information you otherwise voluntarily disclose. We use this information to:
- Populate your profile which is viewable by other registered members of the River Cottage Community, so please be careful about the information you include. Don’t publish your phone number, address or other such information here; and
- Facilitate interaction between registered members of the River Cottage Community.
Your email address – this is not displayed publicly on our Sites. We use this information to:
- Authenticate your access to the Sites (in combination with your password), manage and communicate with you about the orders you place and tables you reserve at a River Cottage Canteen or to follow up the enquiries you make, including sending relevant documents and correspondence to your email address.
Your full name, a contact telephone number and, optionally for table reservations, your address – these are not displayed publicly on our Site. We use this information to:
- Identify and contact you about orders that you place via River Cottage E-Store, tables you reserve at a River Cottage Canteen and the enquiries you make to us.
If you place an order via the River Cottage E-Store, we also collect:
Your billing address – this is not displayed publicly on our Sites. We use this information to:
- Authorise and approve your payments for orders that you place.
Your delivery address – this is not displayed publicly on the Site. We use this information to:
- Arrange delivery for your ordered Products.
If your order is for an event or cookery course, we also collect:
- The names and email addresses of the attendees you wish to invite. We will not use these details for any purpose other than to email the attendees with information relating to the event or cookery course that you have ordered.
- Your and your nominated attendees’ dietary requirements. We will not use these details for any purpose other than to inform our course tutors so that they can make appropriate arrangements for any specific dietary requirements.
If you post information using the communication tools we provide on our Sites, we collect:
- Any other personal information you choose to disclose whilst using the Site.
Examples include when you update your profile, make a posting, upload a photo, upload a video, share a link, create an event or a group, send someone a message or otherwise engage in the River Cottage Community. This information is viewable by other users. We use this information to:
- Enable you to engage more fully with the River Cottage Community;
- Enable other registered members of the River Cottage Community to search for you and communicate with you; and
- Enable other registered members of the River Cottage Community to provide you with feedback.
If you order a gift voucher when using the River Cottage E-Store, we collect:
- Your friend’s name and email address. We will not use these details for any purpose other than to email them a gift voucher code.
When you submit a query using our feedback webform, we collect:
- Your email address – providing this is entirely optional and you do not need to provide it in order to submit feedback to us using the webform. Your email address will not be displayed publicly on our Sites. We use this information to respond to your query. We will not use your email address to send you marketing communications or pass it on to third parties without your permission when you submit it using our feedback webform.
- Your internet browser and its version number. We use this information to provide an up-to-date and compatible service and to assist us diagnose any problems should your query be of a technical nature.
If you participate in a competition or other prize promotion via our Sites or one of our social media pages, we collect:
Your name, email address or social media handle and any other personal information you choose to include in your entry. We use this information to:
- Conduct the competition or prize promotion and to contact you if your entry is successful;
If you submit your CV and covering letter to us in relation to a job opportunity posted on one of our Sites, we collect:
- Any personal information you choose to include in your CV and covering letter. River Cottage Limited, River Cottage Stores and their employees and agents use this information to process job applications.
3. How else may we use your personal information?
3.1. We may use your personal information to investigate a complaint made by another River Cottage Community member, in connection with a breach (or suspected breach) of our terms and conditions and to prevent and detect criminal activity, fraud and misuse of or damage to our Sites or the service made available through them and to prosecute those responsible.
4. Information sharing and disclosure
4.1.1. River Cottage Stores Limited who owns and operates the River Cottage Canteens with whom you can reserve a table using the Site; and
4.1.2. OpenTable International Limited and its group companies who own and operate the Opentable table reservation service, which is integrated into the Site;
4.3. We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, disclose information about you to the following, for the express purposes set out below:
If you create an account with either Site:
- To our employees and agents for them to administer any accounts or services provided to you through our Sites e.g. the sending of e-alerts on our behalf.
If you place an order via the River Cottage E-Store:
- To our employees and agents for them to administer and execute orders that you place and to provide support services in connection with the Site;
- To our payment processor so that we can determine whether or not to accept your order. In particular, our payment processor will check the contact and card details you have given against details held by your card issuer to ensure the payment details given are correct. If there is any anomaly with the details that you have provided, then our payment processor may keep a record of the use of that card for the purpose of future security checks. This helps to protect you and us against fraudulent transactions.
If you reserve a table:
- To our employees and agents for them to administer table reservations that you make;
- To River Cottage Stores that operate the River Cottage Canteens and their employees and agents for them to fulfill your reservation requests.
If you post/send content as a registered member of the River Cottage Community:
- As a registered member of the River Cottage Community website you are publicly identified to other users of that Sites by your username. We therefore recommend that you do not use your real name as your username or provide any other personally identifiable information on the publicly viewable site, like your name or contact details;
- We may include some information that is publicly available on the River Cottage Community website in the regular newsletters that are emailed to all registered users on our Site’s mailing lists that have indicated they would like to receive them;
Transfer of business:
- Apart from the use and sharing of your personal information in the limited circumstances already described, the only ways we may share your information are if we need to disclose personal information to protect our and our licensors’ rights and property or to comply with any applicable law or valid legal process.
5. Using information about other registered members of the River Cottage community
5.1. You should avoid sharing any personal information including contact information with any other registered members of the River Cottage Community. If you intend to share any such information, please exercise the same level of caution as you would dealing with a stranger. Never give any personal information to anyone until you are confident that it is safe to do so. You should in any event only reveal such personal information via secure communications that cannot be viewed by other people. You must treat any personal information that you receive from other registered member of the River Cottage Community as private, confidential and use it only for the purposes for which the member provides it to you unless that he or she indicates to you otherwise.
6. Aggregated information
6.1. We may share non-personal aggregated statistics data about visitors to our Sites and traffic patterns with third parties. Just to be clear, this information does not identify users in any personal capacity; it just provides generalised information about the users of our Sites.
7. Cookies and log files
7.1. Whilst visiting either Site, certain information is automatically logged about how you are using the relevant Site.
7.2. This information may include the URL of the website which linked you to the Site, your IP address and the pages you visit whilst on the Sites. The IP address indicates the location of your computer on the internet. We keep a record of each user’s activity by reference to the IP address of the internet connection(s) they use to access the Sites. These logs enable us to prevent users who breach the terms and conditions of the relevant Site by refusing communications from their IP addresses to our Sites. If you are concerned that we have blocked an IP address that you use to access our Sites in error, please email us at email@example.com.
9. How do we protect personal information?
9.1. As required by the UK data protection laws, we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information which you have given to us, to prevent unauthorised access. In particular, we use the Secure Hash Algorithm(SHA-256) to encrypt your password. We also use that algorithm to encrypt all our check-out and payment pages on the River Cottage E-Store. SHA-256 encrypts the information you provide as it travels through the Internet. Encryption creates billions of code combinations to protect each transaction made on the website, so your password or information cannot be viewed by anyone else using the internet. Despite using this technology, we cannot guarantee the security of the information that you disclose to us.
9.2. If you have any concerns about security, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Editing your settings and unsubscribing from promotional River Cottage emails
10.1. You can edit your account settings in the ‘My account’ section of the relevant Site or click the unsubscribe link included in an email to stop receiving e-alerts or newsletters from us.
11. Accessing and updating your personal information
11.1. You can access and edit information provided in your profile in relation to either Site by visiting ‘My account’ section of the relevant Site. You cannot edit comments made to the River Cottage Community forum or your questions, answers or comments made to other users.
Your right to see your personal information
11.2. Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to see the personal information that we hold about you, whether collected through your use of our Sites or through any communications that you have had with us. You will need to provide us with a written request and pay a small fee. If you have any queries about your right or wish to make such a request please contact us by email at email@example.com or by post addressed to the Data Protection Officer, River Cottage Limited, 44 – 46 Old Steine, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1NH.
11.3. You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by choosing certain options on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at the address provided in paragraph 11.2.
12. Transfer of information outside EEA
12.1. Your personal information may be transferred to, stored at, or processed at a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”), including the United States. It may be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers, including River Cottage Affiliates. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services.
14. Contact us
14.1. Our Sites are provided by River Cottage Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, whose registered office address is:
River Cottage Limited, 44 – 46 Old Steine, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1NH
River Cottage Limited’s registered company number is 04821666 and VAT registration number is 892208315. Please note that the above address is our legal address. Please use the following address for general correspondence:
River Cottage Limited, Park Farm, Trinity Hill Rd, Axminster, Devon, EX13 8TB
You can find a detailed list of contact telephone numbers and email addresses for our departments on the Contact Us page.