I made this last evening..(from the Vege cookbook) and it is just wonderful... I have brought it into work today and my work colleagues also loved it and want the receipe... Good on you River Cottage!
For this shocking-purple variation of the classic chickpea dip, bread is used as a thickener because beetroot makes a thinner purée than chickpeas. I’ve given exact quantities here, but the way to make houmous is to add the ingredients a little at a time, tasting and tweaking as you go, until you think it is perfect. You could make a larger batch – it will sit quite happily for several days in the fridge, ready to dip raw vegetables into when you fancy a snack.Rate this recipe:
- 10 minutes
- One minute
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 25g crustless, stale bread
- 200g cooked beetroot
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- About 1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and black pepper
Toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat, shaking the pan almost constantly, until they start to darken and smell amazing (less than a minute).
While still hot, crush the seeds using a pestle and mortar, or a spice grinder.
Break the bread into chunks and whiz in a food processor to crumbs.
Add the beetroot, most of the garlic, 1 tbsp tahini, a good pinch of the cumin, half the lemon juice, a sprinkling of salt and a good grinding of pepper.
Blend to a thick paste.
Taste the houmous; you should be able to detect every flavour.
If not, add a little more of whatever is lacking and blend again.
Keep tasting and adjusting until you are happy.
Serve with flatbread (see p.103) and/or vegetables for dipping.
- BEETLE JUICE!!! By: andyholmes
- Beetroot, apple, pecans By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's squid, hummus and almonds By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Beetroot Cake By: Mandsmile
- Use for stale white bread By: zsybportl
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- BEETROOT AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART By: HughFW
- Chocolate & beetroot ice cream By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Beetroot Atjar By: karenjopling
- Sam's beef, beetroot and horseradish By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Roasted beetroot pizza with kale and anchovies By: MarkD
- Hugh's egg, beetroot and anchovy open sandwich By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Very Lemony Hummus By: Every Day
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Vegetable Crisps By: Hell Belle
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Gill Meller's beetroot, yoghurt and walnut soup By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Florence Knight's beetroot, gorgonzola, poppy seeds By: Hugh's 3 Good Things